Iris crash

Reaction score
Was at a local event in town where I was asked to do a quick fly over of the gathering. A 3D robotics Iris was also present and took off before me. As I completed my preflight checklist of my P3 I took to the air to gather my shots. They were teasing me about my checklist and said I do too much.

It wasn't long after I took off that the Iris started doing passes around the park and started to have issues. Minutes later the drone lost all power and came crashing to the ground. I felt bad but I couldn't help but feel vindicated. They were lucky the Iris landed where there weren't any people.

As they removed the battery I could tell it had ballooned up and looked deformed. Ouch...

I've flown my friends Iris+ and I'll tell you the P3 is in another league.

Didn't really check it out much. The go pro attached to it was cool but the fall from the sky didn't win me over. The controller looked cheap too.

Reactions: acherman
Didn't really check it out much. The go pro attached to it was cool but the fall from the sky didn't win me over. The controller looked cheap too.
It all looks cheap. That being said, I have a feeling the body could take more of a beating than the P3 ever could. The arms feel way more durable.

I had a Law Enforcement demo with my P3A and another vendor brought his Iris plus. The iris had a battery failure and it went splash down. Here is the pic of us after finding it in the lake.

Attachments

• Iris in water.JPG
    Iris in water.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 460
Reactions: xave
I'm like that, I always do compass calibration every time I go out no matter what location. 28 flights now and no issues. I don't fly far but close quarters flying. I have had my p3 pro for 3 weeks and no issues. Will be testing flying near high tension wires. Our soccer club sits just to the side of a major corridor. 3 brand new turf fields going in now, so flying will be about 400 ft away. These are the main transmission lines in the area, so they are big. Will report back soon ...

I'm like that, I always do compass calibration every time I go out no matter what location. 28 flights now and no issues. I don't fly far but close quarters flying. I have had my p3 pro for 3 weeks and no issues. Will be testing flying near high tension wires. Our soccer club sits just to the side of a major corridor. 3 brand new turf fields going in now, so flying will be about 400 ft away. These are the main transmission lines in the area, so they are big. Will report back soon ...

Personally (and this is the advice of many on this board) I wouldn't calibrate the compass around those power lines. It's really not necessary and will probably only introduce a problem..

Reactions: Jbundy63
Personally (and this is the advice of many on this board) I wouldn't calibrate the compass around those power lines. It's really not necessary and will probably only introduce a problem..

I would have to agree. As long as your within 100 miles of your shoot I think your good. Doing it so close and you might have issues.

Reactions: Jbundy63
I calibrated my p3p directly underneath powerlines and it was flying side on "on Google maps" and when I hit return home it flew in the opposite direction.i had to sprint 50+ metres away from the lines and finally it came back...sadly it crash landed cos flat battery but I got it back in 1 peice

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl