Ireland doesnt see much sun so when we get it......

Reaction score
Yeah we really dont get much sun here in ireland but when we do we really have to make the most of it.
Here's my hometown of Howth, Co. Dublin. Its only my 5th flight with my taco supreme gimbal on my p2v so ive still a few jitters to iron out.

Flying Over Howth Harbour: http://youtu.be/WusCltGoI90

Wow!

I am a rookie. I have 22 flights, no crashes, yet I still don't have the confidence I would need to fly over water like that.

My heritage is Scots-Irish, so I will always enjoy your movies of that area.

BTW...I never could spot you and I was unable to be certain as to where you were flying from.

Cheers......

Gator113 said:
Wow!

I am a rookie. I have 22 flights, no crashes, yet I still don't have the confidence I would need to fly over water like that.

My heritage is Scots-Irish, so I will always enjoy your movies of that area.

BTW...I never could spot you and I was unable to be certain as to where you were flying from.

Cheers......

Thanks Gator,
It took around 6 months to get the confidence to start flying over spots loke that but ive tested my bird and she's always come home eventually so I trust her to come home. Yeah I was thinking of starting a Where's Wally or Mal pilot competition for the craic ;)
I'm in the video at least 5 times. Who can spot me?

Okay, I think you're standing near a round structure on a flat grassy area. The grass looks mowed. The structure looks as if it may have once been a lighthouse or perhaps it's a water tower. I think I may have seen a dog with you. You have fair skin, you freckle easy and you have some red in your hair -- at least when you were very young. I think you like a good debate, but you have a great sense of humor.

There....how'd I do and what did I win?

LOL

Gator113 said:
Okay, I think you're standing near a round structure on a flat grassy area. The grass looks mowed. The structure looks as if it may have once been a lighthouse or perhaps it's a water tower. I think I may have seen a dog with you. You have fair skin, you freckle easy and you have some red in your hair -- at least when you were very young. I think you like a good debate, but you have a great sense of humor.

There....how'd I do and what did I win?

LOL
Hmmm you know too much.......
Thats me alright, I'm standing by a martello tower. They're a series of massive gun turrets that were built all along the coast of ireland to fend off a spanish invasion in the 1700's. That particular one is now an antique radio museum.
No dog with me that day, but it's very easy to confuse my kids with dogs (especially Conor, my 2 year old) I do it all the time.
I tan well, no freckles (the wife has millions) but ive a hint of red in my beard when I grow it.
Debate? I love to argue, especially when I'm full of guinness.

You almost have me down to a tee ;)

Edit: sorry your prize is free guinness all night in the pier house pub under where I took off from. Its a once in a liftime opportunity so this offer can only last until midnight tonight (GMT) lol

That certainly doesn't look like Ireland, been in Howth a few times, lovely place!

I don't mean to be super-critical, but your video, whilst capturing some beautiful images, ticks a lot of no-nos for me as far as aerial videography is concerned. One big long video, covering mostly the same area - If we live in an age when people will barely watch a 30s commercial, the chances of them watching a 10min single shot web video is remote. Not that all videos have to be edited to perfection - they do not!

If you're flying over water like that, you're already doing some confident/risky flying - why not go down a bit lower to vary it a bit? There's a load of things to capture down there - string them together in an edit, make it not 10 minutes long, maybe a couple of minutes, and you'll end up with a much nicer piece, and people will probably watch it from start to finish, instead of skipping forward like I did :)

Again, I'm not for a minute saying all phantom owners videos need to be edited down, and when I first started flying I too uploaded a single video, but it is definitely a good practice to employ!

Lovely imagery though - but too long for me :)

Judderman said:
That certainly doesn't look like Ireland, been in Howth a few times, lovely place!

I don't mean to be super-critical, but your video, whilst capturing some beautiful images, ticks a lot of no-nos for me as far as aerial videography is concerned. One big long video, covering mostly the same area - If we live in an age when people will barely watch a 30s commercial, the chances of them watching a 10min single shot web video is remote. Not that all videos have to be edited to perfection - they do not!

If you're flying over water like that, you're already doing some confident/risky flying - why not go down a bit lower to vary it a bit? There's a load of things to capture down there - string them together in an edit, make it not 10 minutes long, maybe a couple of minutes, and you'll end up with a much nicer piece, and people will probably watch it from start to finish, instead of skipping forward like I did :)

Again, I'm not for a minute saying all phantom owners videos need to be edited down, and when I first started flying I too uploaded a single video, but it is definitely a good practice to employ!

Lovely imagery though - but too long for me :)
I really appreciate the comments Judderman. As i said we dont normally get sun around our parts but when we do its glorious, especially my hometown Howth. Yes I know its too long, I didnt bother cutting anything out because I was more testing out my new gimbal. My main aim with the phantom was photography and videos were a no no because of the lack of gimbal. Now that I have it I'm gonna be exploring videos a lot more. I kept it up high because I'm having a long running battle with the harbour master but he's pissed me off enough now that I'm gonna do some very low flying over the marina to get my own back ;)
Listen any critisim is more than welcome, I want to learn as my new goal is to upscale to a pro rig. Im working on a promo job for the castle and golf course for their webite, mainly photos but I'm gonna do a small 2 or 3 min video for them if I get the proper footage.

My friend used to live in Howth - she loved it. Nice small-town type atmosphere to it, she knew a lot of people, and people would say hello to each other. Not like Dublin - totally anonymous! I like how you can walk up a very short distance around the cliffs and all of a sudden, you can literally only see green grass, cliffs and the sea. No buildings, nothing. Idyllic.

What's the harbour masters beef with your flying? Is it the potential for your quad to drop out of the sky and crash on an expensive boat? I would love to fly in that harbour. I suppose it depends on the regularity of it...and how close you were to people e.t.c. I don't know what the actual legality in Ireland for flying in that harbour would be. You were over the sea, not close to boats, so I can't see the harm.

As a test of your gimbal it's certainly working well as far as I can tell!

Judderman said:
My friend used to live in Howth - she loved it. Nice small-town type atmosphere to it, she knew a lot of people, and people would say hello to each other. Not like Dublin - totally anonymous! I like how you can walk up a very short distance around the cliffs and all of a sudden, you can literally only see green grass, cliffs and the sea. No buildings, nothing. Idyllic.

What's the harbour masters beef with your flying? Is it the potential for your quad to drop out of the sky and crash on an expensive boat? I would love to fly in that harbour. I suppose it depends on the regularity of it...and how close you were to people e.t.c. I don't know what the actual legality in Ireland for flying in that harbour would be. You were over the sea, not close to boats, so I can't see the harm.

As a test of your gimbal it's certainly working well as far as I can tell!
Yeah Howth is great because everyone knows eachother but that can bring its own set of problems, as for beauty its way up there. Nah my battles with the harbour master started long before my flying days. We have a mutual disrespect for eachother going back years. He's not a very popular man. He demands that everyone calls him CAPTAIN from his merchant shipping days, I told him captain pugwash more like it and then the games commenced :)

Phantom_Menace66 said:
Great video & stunning weather! Are you using the stock antenna on TX & Phantom?
Yeah my phantom has always been a freak for getting long distances with everything stock. The only changes ive made are the taco supreme gimbal and the re700 wifi repeater from the pv2+ everything else is stock, no mods. Last night I flew 1.3km distance away with full fpv and control.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:
Great video & stunning weather! Are you using the stock antenna on TX & Phantom?
Yeah my phantom has always been a freak for getting long distances with everything stock. The only changes ive made are the taco supreme gimbal and the re700 wifi repeater from the pv2+ everything else is stock, no mods. Last night I flew 1.3km distance away with full fpv and control.
Excellent... :D

Very cool! I was just there last week for a shoot, I didn't have my phantom unfortunately... Thought about it a lot though since it's such a beautiful area! Good flying!

Nice. Real nice. I have some place here that would look great from the sky but the rich boaters here would have a lunatic fit if I flew over them. Other problem is I don't have the guts to fly that much over water. Nice music also.

Happyflyer said:
Nice. Real nice. I have some place here that would look great from the sky but the rich boaters here would have a lunatic fit if I flew over them. Other problem is I don't have the guts to fly that much over water. Nice music also.
Gain the confidence and just do it. I have a battery that gives warnings when I fly too hard so I just dont use that one over water but the others are fine. Find yourself a nice spot away from the boats so they wont see you ;)

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Happyflyer said:
Gain the confidence and just do it. I have a battery that gives warnings when I fly too hard so I just dont use that one over water but the others are fine. Find yourself a nice spot away from the boats so they wont see you ;)
Maybe if I was up 400 feet or so they may not hear the quad. I have flown over water a time or two but really don't like it. I have one of the "getterBack" devices now so that will help. Biggest thing is I stay away from people as much as I can. I just have the thought that will be the time it comes down and the people will think, "Idiot, learn to fly and that won't happen." They really don't understand these thing do come down and not your fault. The one time I did attract a couple the guy was so interested he took close up pictures of it coming down and was thinking of buying one.
This video looked like he was up in the air many feet or so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav