iPhone sunshade possibility

Im trying to make one for 3d printing.. I'm almost done with the modeling its not pretty but it just may work. Will post updates once its printed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-18 at 3.33.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-18 at 3.33.28 AM.png
    378.7 KB · Views: 389
arinvideo said:
Im trying to make one for 3d printing

One day I am going to get myself one of these 3d printers. It must be fun being able to draw a concept and hold it in your hands a few hours later. I hope it turns out well, please do share the results.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Ok at the risk of shame and ridicule its time to show you mine :) As I said its not pretty (but could be made so) but its really really cheap and it works.

I started with one of these

Made one of these.

I lined the highly reflective inside with a piece of black card. The iPhone is dropped into the box and then the box and the iPhone are squeezed by the clip. There is no impact upon the wifi reception.

Shrimpy... You're the master of the cheap fix ! :D :D :D

The Martha Stewart of Phantom Flyers... You want a gimbal? No problem. Just take these pipe cleaners and this empty tuna can, and.... :lol:

(Actually I'm going to try that before I spend any more money on this problem... ) :)

-slinger

Shrimpfarmer said:
arinvideo said:

One day I am going to get myself one of these 3d printers. It must be fun being able to draw a concept and hold it in your hands a few hours later. I hope it turns out well, please do share the results.

have you tried polymorph? or its sister product, coolmorph?
amazing stuff like adult playdough. buy a 500g bag for £10 and then heat up the pellets, mould, roll, shape, cut, drill, tap it etc
wait for it to go cold and it sets rock solid, hard, durable white plastic. din't like what you've made? chuck it back in the hot water and it goes back to being a translucent mouldable lump again.
you can add colours to it, its like your own cheap 3d printer (of sorts!)

here's the first video i found on youtube. unfortunately, the first thing he moulds is a personalised knife grip! but it demonstrates the principals.

http://youtu.be/IhVuc6RNyaw

Studiowise said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
arinvideo said:

amazing stuff like adult playdough. buy a 500g bag for £10 and then heat up the pellets, mould, roll, shape, cut, drill, tap it etc
wait for it to go cold and it sets rock solid, hard, durable white plastic. din't like what you've made? chuck it back in the hot water and it goes back to being a translucent mouldable lump again.
you can add colours to it, its like your own cheap 3d printer (of sorts!)

here's the first video i found on youtube. unfortunately, the first thing he moulds is a personalised knife grip! but it demonstrates the principals.

http://youtu.be/IhVuc6RNyaw

I wish I could un-see that video. sigh... I can think of a bunch of things I could use that for. I'm so screwed... :shock:

Thanks... :D
-slinger

Studiowise said:

Wow !!!!!

I had never heard of that product before. I think I might get myself some of that. Thanks for posting.

Shrimpy

Got my Glarestomper - really quick delivery, too. I have a Nexus 4 and I bought a gel-type bumper case from Amazon for £3 to use with the Glarestomper. I snipped up the velcro strap and stuck it to the edges of the bumper case avoiding power switch, etc.

It works perfectly, holds its shape nicely, phone+bumper+Glarestomper fits in the Tx clip without issue. Really neat solution. Best of all when I'm finished the Glarestomper and bumper can go into the flight case flat, so they fit under the foam in the lid, for example, taking up virtually no room.

Recommended. Thanks for letting me know about this one.

Attachments

• DSC03306.JPG
    DSC03306.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 364
  • DSC03304.JPG
    DSC03304.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC03305.JPG
    DSC03305.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 339
That is a nice solution Pull_Up. Good idea to get a second bumper for permanently fixing the velcro as that solution gives you a nice strong fix. Somehow I think you may have trashed my business for tin foil sunscreens. Now what am I going to do with this order for 2 tons of tinfoil food dishes? :roll:

Pull_Up said:
Because your name's Shrim.......

Never mind, the moment's gone.

Lost.

Forever.

Move along now.

Nothing to see here.

;)

You fell for that one Pull_Up :twisted:

I don't have an iPhone, but here is a free way to make a sunshade for any type of monitor. I just made two U-shaped pieces of cardboard and taped them together. It easily slides on and off the monitor and folds up and stores in my case. It requires no Velcro or anything to keep it on the monitor and it provides excellent shade for the full bore sunlight we have here in AZ. I cut a very small notch for the antennae. I made it in just a few minutes from the flaps on a small box I had the house. But if you spent more time, you could make the fit even more perfect and you could make it more attractive (perhaps spray paint it black).

Attachments

• sunshade-one.jpg
    sunshade-one.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 264
  • sunshade-2.jpg
    sunshade-2.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 275
CouesWhitetail great minds think alike. Only a little miffed you chose cardboard and I chose tinfoil. Yours starts off non reflective and is made of an even more commonly available material. Well done and thanks for posting.

Thanks guys! I like your ingenuity Shrimpfarmer! It never occurred to me to try aluminum, but it's certainly nice and flexible.

I really like that this slides on and off easily and folds up to go in my case. And when it wears out or I forget it somewhere, I won't be mad at myself, because as Pull-up mentioned, amazon boxes seem to always be in supply. :lol:

I don't find those little gaps between the monitor and shade box to be distracting, but for those that do, you could always make a little flap of duct tape (two pieces stuck together so there is no sticky left to touch monitor) that would cover the gaps and still allow you to slide it on and off.

CouesWhitetail said:
I don't have an iPhone, but here is a free way to make a sunshade for any type of monitor. I just made two U-shaped pieces of cardboard and taped them together. It easily slides on and off the monitor and folds up and stores in my case. It requires no Velcro or anything to keep it on the monitor and it provides excellent shade for the full bore sunlight we have here in AZ. I cut a very small notch for the antennae. I made it in just a few minutes from the flaps on a small box I had the house. But if you spent more time, you could make the fit even more perfect and you could make it more attractive (perhaps spray paint it black).

Mine is somewhat similar, I made it from black foam core. I even cut a curved part out at the top for my head to rest in on very sunny days. Mine is very, very deep. I am using it with a 7" Lenovo A1000 tablet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie