iPhone Overheating

Reaction score
So far, this has only happened using ground station, but I assume it'll happen to anytime we're using the DJI app. If I run it for more than 10 minutes out in the Arizona sun, the iPhone will shut down and say it's too hot.

Anyone else have this problem? It may just be my phone, the phone gets *super* hot so I understand why it's shutting down.

This actually happened to me today. I was using an iPod, looked down and just had the apple warning. This can be a problem if you are not paying attention, as the low battery alarm will not work.

My iPhone was in my pocket so I just opened the app on that and continued the flight.

I live in Florida. Not much to do about it except look for shade.

This happened to me. I live in Arizona. The winter was fine but in summer, I was just five minutes into a flight when my iPhone overheated.

I bought a few gel pack ice packs, the blue ones that never freeze solid.
I keep them in a cooler with other non-melting ice packs until I am ready to fly.

The gel packs sit in the spring loaded clamp behind my iPhone.
This does the trick.

1 pack = 1 flight.

ResevorDG said:
This happened to me. I live in Arizona. The winter was fine but in summer, I was just five minutes into a flight when my iPhone overheated.

I bought a few gel pack ice packs, the blue ones that never freeze solid.
I keep them in a cooler with other non-melting ice packs until I am ready to fly.

The gel packs sit in the spring loaded clamp behind my iPhone.
This does the trick.

1 pack = 1 flight.

That's a really 'cool' idea... Bah ha ha!

OK, now I'm definitely not retiring in Arizona. My personal overheating indicator goes off at about 95 degrees. :cool:

Overheating is not unique to the DJI app, when all of the iPhone's systems are used at once, a lot of heat is generated. I've had the same thing happen when running the TomTom navigation app while streaming music and charging the iPhone.

Use your iPhone 'naked' (no case, decals or screen protectors) to maximize cooling and keep in the shade if you can. Close all other apps and avoid charging while using to minimize generating heat. Gel pack sounds like an interesting idea.

Hovtech said:
OK, now I'm definitely not retiring in Arizona. My personal overheating indicator goes off at about 95 degrees. :cool:

Phoenix is hot in the summer, but we all have swimming pools and you don't have to shovel sunshine out of the driveway to get to work.
I love the snow but try telling that to someone in North Dakota in February.

Most of AZ is not as bad as the Phoenix area.

If you put your iPhone in the (Arizona) sun for 10 min with no apps running it will overheat and shutdown. Many Androids will do the same. The sun bakes it and overheats it. Find some shade!!
I know a couple people who set their phone on the dash of the car and cooked the phone!

I've noticed my iPhone getting pretty warm while using it with the FPV. I wouldn't call it overheating, but I think it is dissipating a lot of heat with whatever it us doing.

My Ipad mini heats to shutdown around 85F even if in the shade. Don't know if it's normal or not as its sole function is FPV and not running other apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20