iPhone disconnects from wifi range extender

Reaction score
Does anyone else have the issue that when you start to go out of range you lose the FPV....then when the phantom is back in range it doesn't automatically connect again because your iPhone has disconnected from the wifi range extender? It seems like any time i go out of range then come back I have to reconnect to the Phantom wifi range extender. Any solution?

Perhap you should, forget all network first before connect to phantom, because if wifi disconnect iphone automaticaly search available wifi and connect to it.. So you must make sure iphone wifi only auto connect to "remembered" wifi connection

I have ask to join off and also forgot my home network while connected to the wifi repeater. I thought of both of those and it still disconnects the phone from the wifi repeater when the phantom goes out of range. Works fine until it goes out of range but for some reason the phone disconnects from the wifi repeater when the wifi repeater loses the phantom. I didn't know it that's normal. When the phantom is back in range I have to manually go into wifi networks and reconnect to the phantom network for the repeater and then all is well again....till I go out of range next time...

Scottrod said:
I have ask to join off and also forgot my home network while connected to the wifi repeater. I thought of both of those and it still disconnects the phone from the wifi repeater when the phantom goes out of range. Works fine until it goes out of range but for some reason the phone disconnects from the wifi repeater when the wifi repeater loses the phantom. I didn't know it that's normal. When the phantom is back in range I have to manually go into wifi networks and reconnect to the phantom network for the repeater and then all is well again....till I go out of range next time...

Here is an insanely easy fix for this problem. Don't fly out of range anymore! See? Simple! If you're not flying out of range you don't have to worry about your phone not reconnecting automatically since you will never loose it to begin with :p

Okay you may not have found that solution very satisfying so I've got one better. Have you read the more powerful repeater thread on here? A simple mod to the WiFi repeater can double or triple your WiFi range.

Here is a link to the More powerful repeater thread

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3880

Here is a YouTube link showing how to do it and how easy it is. Along with parts list.

Http://youtube.com/watch?v=aEHzDi4hHKU

Funny. I guess I'm just trying to understand if this is normal. I mean I get that the wifi repeater loses signal with the phantom when out of range but why would my phone disconnect from the wifi repeater at that point? ...and why would I have to manually go in and reconnect the phone to the repeater when it's back well within range? Just trying to see if that's normal for others or if there is a solution.

Scottrod said:
Funny. I guess I'm just trying to understand if this is normal. I mean I get that the wifi repeater loses signal with the phantom when out of range but why would my phone disconnect from the wifi repeater at that point? ...and why would I have to manually go in and reconnect the phone to the repeater when it's back well within range? Just trying to see if that's normal for others or if there is a solution.

Yes that is normal behavior depending on the environment you're flying and the version of the dji app you're using. To minimize the problem happening stay away from other strong WiFi signals and turn off WiFi on other devices on your person.

In the end it can be hit or miss tho I think how far you fly out of range and how long factors in to if you need to manually reconnect vs it being automatic.

Actually now it occurs to me that usually the video drops off first without the telemetry being lost so those scenarios generally recover more quickly as you are still technically connected to the WiFi.

Let me guess, your home network name starts with a letter between A and P, yes? You can change it to something that starts with Q or later and that'll solve the problem. The only other way is to write a custom profile but that's much more difficult to explain, maybe I'll post an instructional if there's enough interest.

iDrone

It is also worth mentioning that there is a check box when you initially connected to the phantom WiFi to allow auto reconnect. If that was not checked off that would also explain another possible cause for you.

Well the phantom network is the same number as what is on the wifi repeater so I'm on the right network. How do I re-pair the repeater with the phantom? Think that would help?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj