iPhone 6 Compass

Reaction score
I don't use my iPhone 6 to fly any longer, but keep the DJI GO app on it anyway. Several times, when starting the app for reference, the compass app starts up, and wants to be calibrated. I wonder why the GO app cares about the compass in the phone. Note that nothing drone wise is connected to the phone at all.

It does that to make sure its ready for follow me mode, location etc.

Go App wants to know your location and orientation of phone. In case it finds a problem with phone compass, it pops it up for calibration.

Go app radar works on compass of mobile device and setting up new home point needs GPS on your mobile. Follow me mode also needs GPS on the device.

I understand needing GPS, but what does the orientation of my phone have to do with anything?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Have you used Radar function of DJI GO App? It will tell you orientation of P3 with respect to the orientation of mobile. This help you in case you don't see / identify the front of P3. This is one of the utilities provided on DJI GO app and it use mobile compass.

OK, thanks, I thought the GPS was doing that. I use an iPad mini 2, and have never seen it ask for compass calibration.
Compass Calibration for iPad is totally different and can not be triggered the way it works for phones. You may have to install an external app to calibrate your iPad in case it shows incorrect direction.

Just dloaded Commander Compass Lite.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Needless to say, Calibrate your iPad with the third party app with NO Magnetics around :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers