iPhone 5 battery drain problem

Reaction score
Hi, new P2V pilot here. I went out for my second (extended) flight tonight and the battery on my iphone was about 80% when I first took off. After about 15 minutes I was at 10% and in another 2 minutes I was out of juice.

Is this level of battery drain normal?

Could something be wrong with my wifi connection or is the battery in my two year old iPhone 5 on its way out?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Under normal use my iPhone battery usually lasts from when I leave the house in the morning until I return in the evening.

Edit 2: I'm going to try my wife's iPhone 5 tomorrow and see if there's any difference.

Edit 3: Ran some tests on my iPhone 5 and I'm leaning on the battery being weak. Fully charged iPhone to 100% and rebooted. Cleared all background processes (iPhone is jailbroken).

1st test performed: Streaming HD movie from my server via Tonido app for 30 minutes. iPhone battery started at 100% and ended at 63%.

Recharged to 100%

2nd test performed: Set up P2V in garage and let it idle for 20 minutes on a benchtop with the DJI app running and the camera streaming a feed back to the DJI app. Battery started at 100% and ended at 55%.

I'm thinking my iPhone battery is shot being the phone was purchased the day it was released from AAPL about 2 years ago and I have probably been through nearly 800 charge cycles. I'm going to swap out the battery in my phone and go from there.

Edit 4: I just flew one full P2V battery in airplane mode with wifi only and the phone started at 100% and ended at 82%.

It's impossible for an app to drain a "normal" phone from 80% to 10% in 15minutes even with full screen brightness! There is either something wrong with your phone or you underestimated the duration of time.

Suggest resetting your phone to start with and trying again

jasplat88 said:
There's another thread that I started that talked about this here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5832&hilit=phone+battery+draining

Thanks for the thread. I tried the search function on the MB but nothing came up.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having the issue. I'm going to try my buds android phone tomorrow as well as my wife's i5 and see what happens. There could be a memory leak or something in the DJI app causing issues with certian i5 configurations???

My phone also charged up faster than normal from 0% like the other posters were saying.

I'll probably grab an i6 when they come out so hopefully this will be temporary. Still might try putting a fresh battery in my i5 for the time being.

Although the drain on my iPhone5 was no way near what yours seems to be, I found it did go flat at the most inopportune times so i added a small 2600mah power pack to my tx and with the multi cable you see here it also keeps the WI-FI repeater at the top of its game. This also works for my ipads (mini & 3)

cable £2.30 amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G ... UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• power_pack.jpg
    power_pack.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 664
Like that setup Studiowise. I was thinking power pack in my pocket but your setup is nice!

I had this exact problem with my 5s last week and a half, that's when I received my P2V. My solution to this problem is to use an external battery charger, Anker Gen2 9000mAh with 2 outs for charging 2 devices at the same time.I found that flying P2V with low battery level of 5s and or Range extender will cut off the signal for FPV.That's why I always mount my Anker Gen 2 ( external batt.charger) onto my RC and keep it plug in to both 5s and Range extender. This works for me, hope it will work for you all.

iDrone said:
Thanks Studiowise, you've found another useful gizmo and saved me again. Can't get those cables from Amazon here in the Colonies, but found something that looks just like it on eBay if anyone else is interested Stateside:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171221897804

iDrone :D

Well if you're in the spending mode!
A Kickstarter project i backed last year now has their 24000mah dual USB (high speed 2A) available on Amazon.
This thing powers my WI-FI extender, Iphone5 in my pocket and my iPad Mini all at the same time and never seems to run out of juice. Has to go in my pocket though as its a bit weighty to go on the back of the tx :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/External-Battery- ... B00C78YJQY

edited to add: plus its available in DJI matching white and has a handy LED torch :lol:

Studiowise said:
Although the drain on my iPhone5 was no way near what yours seems to be, I found it did go flat at the most inopportune times so i added a small 2600mah power pack to my tx and with the multi cable you see here it also keeps the WI-FI repeater at the top of its game. This also works for my ipads (mini & 3)

cable £2.30 amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G ... UTF8&psc=1
I like that where did you get that bracket from mate ???

This could be caused by what I call 'over pinging' that can happen when just outside of a service area or between coverage zones, the iPhone will keep trying to find service and is constantly transmitting. Switching to 'Airplane Mode' should help alleviate this problem.

I experienced the same.

Started with iPhone 5 at about 100%. After 15 minutes of flight, got battery low warning ( from phone). When I landed iPhone was at about 7%. Strange detail: went back to my car and connected phone to charger, and it immediately showed 54% charged. ????

Outside temp was about 2 degrees celcius. Maybe iPhone battery has issues in cold conditions?

robschoemaker said:
I experienced the same.

Started with iPhone 5 at about 100%. After 15 minutes of flight, got battery low warning ( from phone). When I landed iPhone was at about 7%. Strange detail: went back to my car and connected phone to charger, and it immediately showed 54% charged. ????

Outside temp was about 2 degrees celcius. Maybe iPhone battery has issues in cold conditions?

I have exactly the same issues. I've switched to an iPad instead as the battery is much larger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.