iPad

Personally, I just use my iPhone. I also have an iPad but I don't think that any of them have a bright enough display to use for FPV unless you are flying at dusk or something similar. I am not yet at the "phase" where I am comfortable enough to fly FPV but when I get there I will either purchase goggles (fatshark or equivalent) or a monitor designed for FPV. Again, this is just my opinion and I really don't have any data to give except for the fact that all of the Apple products I own don't seem to work well enough in sunny conditions. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Although I normally use my iPhone 5 in the clamp, I'll occasionally have one of my kids next to me holding my iPad 4 when I'm flying. I do like the iPad better when I am trying to make out details. The iPhone's screen is obviously smaller and smaller details are harder to pick out. The iPad allows me to see the finer details better.

Just my personal preference.

Today I bought a tripod clamp for iPad/iPad mini. I am going to give it a try over next few days using the tripod to hold the iPad. It means I can use the bigger iPad screen, without the burden of it being on the transmitter.

Geert, I was thinking about buying an iPad Mini 2 for my FPV. I borrowed one to see if I would like it first. I like the size but the image quality in FPV is poor even at 640x480x30fps. Useable but still a little pixilated. Have you figured out a way to tweak the image quality on the iPad Mini?

I bought this bracket off ebay. Probably a little overpriced for what it is, but it works perfectly. It allows me to slide my iPad mini into it and clamp it using the standard DJI smartphone clamp. I did try it with my full-size iPad...makes the transmitter a little heavy. The iPad mini works great...seems to be the perfect size. It allows those of us with a little presbyopia to see both the FPV monitor and the Phantom without complicated bifocals.

drone%20ipad%20bracket.jpg
drone%20ipad%20bracket2.jpg

I would consider a Nexus 7 for 100 bucks , the ilovecoffe dji android app and fpv booster app.
That will give some performance for sure for 1/3 price of an iPad.

If I'm going with an iPad mini should I get the newest one (3) or just get an older one (cheaper)? Anyone have experiences with new vs old iPad mini's or regular iPads?

I have tried at least 6 different android tablets from Samsung to cheap Chinese knock offs and I found the main issues with these tablets and the Phantom is the screen resolution on the tablets. IMO the iPad mini 2 with the Retina display has the best resolution!! The iPad mini 3 display is not as good as the mini 2. I also have a set of the Fatshark Dominator v2 goggles with a HDMI input and you cannot beat the FPV experience!! Flying with these goggles brings the experience to a whole new level. As an added bonus these goggles have a build in DVR which allows me to records the video displayed on the iPad, given me a way to record the flight and all the telemetry data in the event of a crash.

cowboyjunkey said:
If I'm going with an iPad mini should I get the newest one (3) or just get an older one (cheaper)? Anyone have experiences with new vs old iPad mini's or regular iPads?

Get the iPad mini 2. The 3 only adds Touch ID and gold colour. And it's $100+ more. In my opinion Apple was stupid to not upgrade the iPad mini 3 to be same specs as the Air 2. Maybe next year I guess.

I've been using my IPad 2 air with the app and it works great.

There is a difference between the iPads - I did the FPVLR stage two upgrade and then started using an 'old' iPad 2 (not air) - I kept getting real problems with dropped FPV connections - this stumped me for a while, but when I changed back to my Air 2 or my iPhone 5, there was no problem.

I believe that this is down to the processor speed in the old iPad not being up to the job of displaying the FPV images.

The iPads are great, but I'd opt for the newest one available to take advantage of the A8x chip.

Jazziet512 said:
The iPads are great, but I'd opt for the newest one available to take advantage of the A8x chip.

Yep new iPads are better, but only the iPad Air 2 has the A8X. The iPad mini 2 and 3 both have the A7X processor, same as the iPad Air 1. I haven tested it yet, but my wife just got an iPad mini 2. Will try it out tonight to make sure it works, but I'm sure it should handle it fine. My iPhone 5s has the A7 processor and it handles FPV fine so iPad mini 2/3 should as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj