IPad with cellular for improved GPS?

Reaction score
I was told to get an iPad with cellular even if I don't use the cellular because the GPS is better in these units.

If I preload maps anyway does the added cost for cellular models make sense?

You were told right.

Would you rather buy the feature (i.e. Another new device.) later if or when you decided that you want it but now cannot do so? I've gone the cheap route before and then end up with a bunch of unusable gear that cost me far more than had I gone with the full-featured model first without the need to upgrade devices again and fill up my "Stuff I cannot use" drawer.

You were told right.

Would you rather buy the feature (i.e. Another new device.) later if or when you decided that you want it but now cannot do so? I've gone the cheap route before and then end up with a bunch of unusable gear that cost me far more than had I gone with the full-featured model first without the need to upgrade devices again and fill up my "Stuff I cannot use" drawer.
I'm reading where Wifi only iPad users pre-load maps before heading out. Im confused as to how a WiFi only iPad knows how to place the bird on the map since no GPS on the iPad.

Also, I'll never subscribe to a cellular plan on an iPad so that's a big reason I'm looking at WiFi only. I can always tether to my phone for more functionality.

If you have GPS on your mobile device, you'll be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and manually reset the home point to your current location at anytime after taking off. If you don't need to use those features, then having a GPS receiver in your mobile device will be of no benefit to you. All other functions that require GPS data use the GPS receiver in the Phantom.

Reactions: SHRED
I was told to get an iPad with cellular even if I don't use the cellular because the GPS is better in these units.

It's not so much that it is better, it is that it exists. Non-cellular iOS devices do not include a GPS receiver. Another alternative, however, would be to buy a BT-connected external GPS unit such as a Bad Elf which, together with pre-loading the maps would achieve the same functionality without a cellular plan.

I'll add I did the tethering once and it ate into my data plan quickly, and the batteries die quickly in one or the other device. Seems it also gave me more issues with video feed break-up in GO too as the devices got hot while tethered and then the video feed slowed down as the processor was overwhelmed in resource usage. Paying the extra $10-$15/mo. for the SIM data card in the iPad was much less trouble than tethering while keeping the phone's battery full longer too.

If you have GPS on your mobile device, you'll be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and manually reset the home point to your current location at anytime after taking off. If you don't need to use those features, then having a GPS receiver in your mobile device will be of no benefit to you. All other functions that require GPS data use the GPS receiver in the Phantom.
Will tethering my phone, which has GPS and internet allow all of this functionality plus real-time map loading and going "live"?

I'll add I did the tethering once and it ate into my data plan quickly, and the batteries die quickly in one or the other device. Seems it also gave me more issues with video feed break-up in GO too as the devices got hot while tethered and then the video feed slowed down as the processor was overwhelmed in resource usage. Paying the extra $10-$15/mo. for the SIM data card in the iPad was much less trouble than tethering while keeping the phone's battery full longer too.
Good to know.
Thanx

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20