iPad Wifi vs Cellular Trade-Offs & Map Caching

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before, but I just wanted to put together a quick summary for everyone and confirm that I'm not missing any key points before deciding on which iPad model to go with.

iPad Wifi
-No cell data/ GPS
-Cannot download maps on location
-Cache/save maps ahead of time in the GO app
-Cannot update RC home point on map mid flight
-No follow me feature

iPad Cellular
-Will download maps on location (only if you have active cell service)
-GPS data is active whether or not you have active cell service
-Can update RC home point on map mid flight
-Follow me works

Are there any other differences I'm missing?

I was leaning towards the cellular, but even if I get it I doubt I'll pay for the data plan for the sole purpose of having maps download on location. If I need to use the follow me feature I can always use my iPhone 6 for that flight.

As far as caching maps goes, how long do they stay cached for? I downloaded some maps the other day, and it worked perfectly when I got to my location, but the next day I went to the same place and my maps were gone. I did not clear my video cache or do any app upgrades in between.

I know this has been discussed before, but I just wanted to put together a quick summary for everyone and confirm that I'm not missing any key points before deciding on which iPad model to go with.

iPad Wifi
-No cell data/ GPS
-No follow me feature

iPad Cellular
-Follow me works

I was leaning towards the cellular, but even if I get it I doubt I'll pay for the data plan for the sole purpose of having maps download on location. If I need to use the follow me feature I can always use my iPhone 6 for that flight.

As far as caching maps goes, how long do they stay cached for? I downloaded some maps the other day, and it worked perfectly when I got to my location, but the next day I went to the same place and my maps were gone. I did not clear my video cache or do any app upgrades in between.
Nice summary.

In my experience, the maps stay cached for a few weeks to a month. I have never had maps go away from one day to the next.

FYI that your summary looks similar to one that I have been posting for a couple of months now. Check it out if you want more info for your research:

EDIT - replaced original link with this updated link:
Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO | Page 21 | DJI Phantom Forum

Last edited:
Nice summary.

In my experience, the maps stay cached for a few weeks to a month. I have never had maps go away from one day to the next.

Thanks. Glad to hear yours have stayed cached for longer. I'm puzzled as to why I lost mine overnight then. I was in Mexico this weekend and has my iPhone in airplane mode the whole time.

Even without a map, you can still use the grey screen to bring the phantom back to the home point fairly easily if LOS or orientation is lost.

iPad Wifi
-No cell data/ GPS
-No follow me feature

iPad Cellular
-Follow me works

The only problem no GPS on the wifi version has is that "follow me" will not work. It is not a show stopper. Waypoints, POI, etc all work fine.

As for the caching part, I'm not sure , however, I just tether it to my phone for data. No need to cache. I am just using the iPad Mini($299). I didn't want to spend the extra on the cellular version or the extra it would cost to add it to my data plan.

I have since purchased a Dual GPS Bluetooth receiver. That solves any non-gps issues.

Honestly, getting one with Cell will simplify things in that you don't need to worry about GPS and the data connection is always there, but, the WiFi version without GPS covers you for about 99% of everything out of the box if you tether it to your phone. If you're not worried about money, get the cell version for convenience. If you want to save $100 and not have another charge on your cell bill, the Wifi only version will be fine.

The only problem no GPS on the wifi version has is that "follow me" will not work. It is not a show stopper. Waypoints, POI, etc all work fine.

As for the caching part, I'm not sure , however, I just tether it to my phone for data. No need to cache. I am just using the iPad Mini($299). I didn't want to spend the extra on the cellular version or the extra it would cost to add it to my data plan.

I have since purchased a Dual GPS Bluetooth receiver. That solves any non-gps issues.

Honestly, getting one with Cell will simplify things in that you don't need to worry about GPS and the data connection is always there, but, the WiFi version without GPS covers you for about 99% of everything out of the box if you tether it to your phone. If you're not worried about money, get the cell version for convenience. If you want to save $100 and not have another charge on your cell bill, the Wifi only version will be fine.

I found that my Ipad Wi Fi only had no gps when I wanted to enable Follow Me.
Which Bluetooth Receiver did you buy?
Has anyone any experience with the GNS 5879 MFI BT Reciever.
or
The Bad Elf ECF 220 GPS Pro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair