iPad Suggestions??

Reaction score
Just got a P4 and don't like using my phone for flying....no idea what might happen if I get a phone call while I'm in the middle of some heavy drone action...plus I have to take it out of the case everytime I fly.

I am considering getting an iPad Mini 2 with A7 processor since it is going to be single purpose.

Anyone have any other suggestions, experience (good or bad)?

- Fish

The iPad Mini 2 will certainly do the job. You can find other recommended and commonly used tablets here.

I use my IPad Air and it fits great and sits nicely on my controller. Bigger screen is nice when flying over the land looking for animals or exploring.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I tried a lot of different platforms for this because I had the same concerns as you. What is the best platform to use for $1000+ drone? I tried the iPad mini, the iPad air, my iPhone 5, and my android note 3. None of them even came close to comparing to the iPad Pro with cellular and Wi-Fi capability. I have128 gig storage in it. The iPad Pro may have been a little bit pricey but I think it was well worth the investment. I just took my drone out yesterday for a long distance flight. Traveled almost 4000' at 300' altitude and had absolutely zero interruptions with the video feed. I could have probably gone further because the cellular and drone signals were still very good, however I decided to return home at that point because the drone was well out of sight due to trees.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Michael Hoerig
+1 on the iPad Pro. Mine is the 9.7 with 128gb storage it also has cellular and wifi capability. I was running an iPad mini for awhile which was fine but would not work with the intelligent modes due to lack of an actual gps. While there are ways to get around the gps issues (Garmin Glo), the mini even when screen brightness was all the way up and with a sun shade was hard for me to see. iPad Pro has insanely bright screen with anti glare that works great even without a shade. Also the pro is the biggest screen you can get before needing an extension on your remotes phone/tablet holder.

I'll back up Micheal Hoerig statement. I have an apple ipad pro as well. Very bright screen and easy to see all the telepathy clearly. It would be a great combo.

Reactions: Michael Hoerig
I use I pad mini 2. It's a great setup, I have the cellular type. If you could wait just a little longer Dji will have a really nice device that will outperform any kind of IPad or other device. They may be available real soon, I used my 5s for a few days until I bought a mini 2 .

Thanks much for all the suggestions....looks like I might wait a little longer for the iPad Pro...or the DJI screen ;-)

I see they already have an RC version with a screen.

I use the iPad mini 2. Works fantastic and the gps works as it should. No need for the big fancy iPad if you don't want to fork over the extra cash.

Thanks....I have found that I am the type that doesn't go big for the sake of it, but if there is a feature I think is worth getting, I'll pay more for it....I'll definitely get something that has wi-fi and like the non-glare attribute...I hadn't thought about that one but I know me...and it will irritate the heck out of me. Maybe a non-glare protective screen would solve that problem.

Mini2 just got mine for the P4 it's works perfect. Fits the controller like it's made for it. Plus it is the # 1 suggested for the phantoms, P4

Reactions: Fancher9-76
If your iPad does not have cellular capabilities you'll be limited on the intelligent flight modes. Even cached maps on wifi devices will not let you use intelligent flight modes when out of wifi range as in a rural area. There are ways to work around this though it involves buying a Bluetooth GPS such as the Garmin Glo or the like. Wifi only iPads do not have true gps and rely on wifi signals to determine location, which is not very accurate thus not allowing you to use the "Follow me, waypoints, POI, etc... intelligent modes." Android tablets on the other hand have gps in almost every tablet and can function without a cellular or hotspot signal. Even using your phone as a hotspot for your wifi only iPad will limit your intelligent mode use.

If your iPad does not have cellular capabilities you'll be limited on the intelligent flight modes
You can use all of the flight modes except Follow Me.

I went with Mini 2 wifi/ cell service, 32GB u need that to have GPS to be able to use all the functions of the P4, U do not need to activate the cell service, it just has to have it in the Monitor. If I spend $1000. It does me no good if I can't communicate with It. It's a one time purchase and Apple works the best I have found so far. Hope this helps. P4

I'm a brand new owner of the Phantom 4. I'm new so don't kill me for asking. I've got a Samsung S5 but would love to have an Android tablet. I'm not an Apple/Ipad user and would rather have an Android since they all seem to have GPS. What's a great tablet for $200 or less? It will only be used for the Phantom. Best Buy has the
Samsung - Galaxy Tab E - 9.6" - 16GB - Black for $199. Is this a good option?

I'm a brand new owner of the Phantom 4. I'm new so don't kill me for asking. I've got a Samsung S5 but would love to have an Android tablet. I'm not an Apple/Ipad user and would rather have an Android since they all seem to have GPS. What's a great tablet for $200 or less? It will only be used for the Phantom. Best Buy has the
Samsung - Galaxy Tab E - 9.6" - 16GB - Black for $199. Is this a good option?
Msinger has a great list if known working tablets on phantom help. As much as I like the android ecosystem you need to be a keen tinkerer and fiddler to keep everything drone related working nice. It all just works and works well on iOS. I have both and that has been my experience, seemingly shared by others also.

Go post in a few android specific threads and decide from there. Most who post in this thread will be talking apple given the OP's question and thread title.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan