iPad Pro 10.5" + P4P = Perfect Combo

Reaction score
I received my iPad Pro 10.5" to replace an iPad Air (original) and finally got a chance to test it out in bright sunlight.

Flew at 4pm in MA with bright sun at an angle and was very, very impressed with the screen. Totally viewable in direct light and even better with just a slight turn to cast my shadow on the screen. Screen is also viewable in landscape (and portrait) orientation with my Maui Jim polarizing sunglasses on.

I had zero drop outs/green screens which were a very regular occurrence with the iPad Air. Booted up with the DJI Go app and then flew with Litchi as I was doing a Waypoint mission. Both worked flawlessly.

Found a replacement mount that took 2 minutes to install (kept the original metal mount but just swapped out the plastic holder). The iPad fits perfectly now but the new mount cannot fold forward all the way. Instead the top and bottom flatten out and it can be laid out horizontally. Still seemed like a 'cleaner' option than the 3d printed extenders I've seen where the iPad ends up at a funky angle. Link to one I purchased - Amazon.com: Drone Fans Upgraded Phantom 3 Standard 3A 3P and Phantom 4 Inspire 5.5 - 9.7 inch Phone Tablet Extended Holder with Metal Bracket: Toys & Games

Yes it's a $650 tablet but it really is a perfect combination with the P4P and is a huge step up from the original iPad Air. Between the tax write-off and selling the old iPad for $150, it actually wan't too bad an upgrade either.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence about buying the new iPad Pro.

E

I received my iPad Pro 10.5" to replace an iPad Air (original) and finally got a chance to test it out in bright sunlight.

Flew at 4pm in MA with bright sun at an angle and was very, very impressed with the screen. Totally viewable in direct light and even better with just a slight turn to cast my shadow on the screen. Screen is also viewable in landscape (and portrait) orientation with my Maui Jim polarizing sunglasses on.

I had zero drop outs/green screens which were a very regular occurrence with the iPad Air. Booted up with the DJI Go app and then flew with Litchi as I was doing a Waypoint mission. Both worked flawlessly.

Found a replacement mount that took 2 minutes to install (kept the original metal mount but just swapped out the plastic holder). The iPad fits perfectly now but the new mount cannot fold forward all the way. Instead the top and bottom flatten out and it can be laid out horizontally. Still seemed like a 'cleaner' option than the 3d printed extenders I've seen where the iPad ends up at a funky angle. Link to one I purchased - Amazon.com: Drone Fans Upgraded Phantom 3 Standard 3A 3P and Phantom 4 Inspire 5.5 - 9.7 inch Phone Tablet Extended Holder with Metal Bracket: Toys & Games

Yes it's a $650 tablet but it really is a perfect combination with the P4P and is a huge step up from the original iPad Air. Between the tax write-off and selling the old iPad for $150, it actually wan't too bad an upgrade either.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence about buying the new iPad Pro.

E
Are the Maui Jim's true polarised lenses? If so this will be a nice benefit if the iPad can be veiwed in landscape orientation.

Great to hear. Personally I couldn't deal with anything bigger than my air2. Plenty big enough for me.

Are the Maui Jim's true polarised lenses? If so this will be a nice benefit if the iPad can be veiwed in landscape orientation.

They are true polarized lenses. I'll do one more test tomorrow with them on and compare the iPad Pro to the iPhone 6 in both orientations. I can tell you the Maui Jims make it impossible to view my Canon 5DmkIII screen in vertical orientation.

Great to hear. Personally I couldn't deal with anything bigger than my air2. Plenty big enough for me.

The 10.5" Pro is only 0.2" wider (but just wide enough to not fit the stock holder). The upgrade from the original Air was huge. Realized recently the Air was underpowered for running the DJI app and was the cause of dropped signals (green screen). The Pro is silky smooth. Screen is far improved compared to the Air (and I'm pretty sure the Air 2 shared the same screen tech/specs).

They are true polarized lenses. I'll do one more test tomorrow with them on and compare the iPad Pro to the iPhone 6 in both orientations. I can tell you the Maui Jims make it impossible to view my Canon 5DmkIII screen in vertical orientation.
Sounds cool that it is so bright! About the same price as the Crystal Sky Monitor too.

The 10.5" Pro is only 0.2" wider (but just wide enough to not fit the stock holder). The upgrade from the original Air was huge. Realized recently the Air was underpowered for running the DJI app and was the cause of dropped signals (green screen). The Pro is silky smooth. Screen is far improved compared to the Air (and I'm pretty sure the Air 2 shared the same screen tech/specs).
Colin Smith has a YouTube unboxing video showing he was able to get the 10.5" Pro to fit tightly into the stock tablet holder. Try harder! :cool:

Reactions: jimerb
Sounds cool that it is so bright! About the same price as the Crystal Sky Monitor too.
10.5" iPad Pro also runs iOS GO 4, instead of the step-child buggy Android DJI house version, while offering a screen twice the size of the largest CrystalSky, which is the same screen size as the iPad Mini 4 at only 7.85"!:cool:

Reactions: KevMo Photog
10.5" iPad Pro also runs iOS GO 4, instead of the step-child buggy Android DJI house version, while offering a screen twice the size of the largest CrystalSky, which is the same screen size as the iPad Mini 4 at only 7.85"!:cool:
Is the Ipad Pro 2000 nits? Just curious if it is as bright?

Is the Ipad Pro 2000 nits? Just curious if it is as bright?
Is the crystal sky 2000? I think the 9.7" pro is said to be around 500 cd/m sqd which is very bright. The crystal sky may well be (probably is) brighter. What is known is that the Pro has ridiculously good AR coating. Arguably just as important for performance outdoors once a certain brightness level is reached.

Is the crystal sky 2000? I think the 9.7" pro is said to be around 500 cd/m sqd which is very bright. The crystal sky may well be (probably is) brighter. What is known is that the Pro has ridiculously good AR coating. Arguably just as important for performance outdoors once a certain brightness level is reached.
The 1000 dollar 7.5in model is 2000 nit or advertised as that anyway. But I'm not sure I want to go Android now. LOL Might have to eventually do the Pro. I am an Air 2 guy now. Been pretty happy. But it's not quite as good with P4P as it was with my P4's last year. Plus I have to use hood at all times basically.

Is it his iPad Pro 2 unboxing, or the Phantom Advanced unboxing or which?

Colin Smith has a YouTube unboxing video showing he was able to get the 10.5" Pro to fit tightly into the stock tablet holder. Try harder! :cool:

The 1000 dollar 7.5in model is 2000 nit or advertised as that anyway. But I'm not sure I want to go Android now. LOL Might have to eventually do the Pro. I am an Air 2 guy now. Been pretty happy. But it's not quite as good with P4P as it was with my P4's last year. Plus I have to use hood at all times basically.
The way I see it- spending a grand on a device that's locked down tighter than a fishes gearbox isn't appealing. You can get an IPad Pro for less money and have a lot more flexibility in what you do with it. I have never had an issue with the Air2 glare or brightness wise. Having said that though my preference is to fly in the first and last hours of the day or standing under an awning on my truck or other shade when its bright.

Hi guys

Made two videos today using iPhone 6 of the iPad Pro under 12:00pm direct sun in MA.

First video starts in shade then goes out to street.

Second you can see relative brightness of ground

Hope that helps

E

It's not all about brightness either. A good sun visor for the ipad will help keep it cool, out of the sun. Ipads just shut down when they overheat. I would recommend getting a proper fitted visor for better viewing and cooling. Good vids though. Thanks for that effort.

It is not too big and to heavy for the remote that you hold in your hands for 20-30 minutes?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20