iPad mini2 vs mini4?

I own both. The iPad Mini 4 is faster, brighter, lighter, has an anti-reflective coating on the screen, and will not overheat as quickly when flying in hot weather. With that said, both devices run DJI GO equally well and neither is easy to see when flying in direct sunlight. The latter is an issue for all tablets though.

Reactions: PhantomMenace65
Thanks… A direct answer to the question, coupled with experience… Doesn't get any better than that. I think I'll spring for a iPad4. I would like to get a sizable screen that I don't have to use a hood, except for direct overhead sunlight.

I have used both, and concur with msinger. I have also used a Nexus 7 android which worked well but the IOS is better, smoother and has never crashed or shut down in flight.The slightly larger ipad screen is also useful. I am not an Apple fan,quite the reverse, but the ipad mini4 gets my vote, it gets the job done.
One point to bear in mind, most ipad minis do not have a built in GPS chip, only the cellular ones have this, you may need this for certain flight modes, you can tether a non cell ipad to phone which has GPS. You can use the cellular version without a contract, it still works. I am in UK and just buy a 12 month 12GB data sim for the ipad, and throw it away when it expires.

One point to bear in mind, most ipad minis do not have a built in GPS chip, only the cellular ones have this, you may need this for certain flight modes
GPS on the mobile device is only required when using the Follow Me flight mode or manually resetting the home point to the mobile device's current location.

you can tether a non cell ipad to phone which has GPS
That will not allow the GPS to be shared. It'll work for downloading the maps in DJI GO though.

Yeah I think this "you need a GPS in the display device" is a little bit of forum hypochondria. The message gets distorted to "you're out of luck if you don't have it". I could care less about follow me mode or resetting home points, the non-cell iPad works fine For everything I want to do with any drone.

Let me modify the question a bit, as to the internal memory for an iPad:, 16 GB, 64, or 128. What's the opin behind buying one of these memory storage configurations? The question is , does 16 GB have limitations in performance or is it just your storage limitation? I won't be keeping any videos on the iPad.

The message gets distorted to "you're out of luck if you don't have it".
Agreed. I'm guessing most pilots are not using Follow Me and/or resetting their home point after taking off.

does 16 GB have limitations in performance or is it just your storage limitation?
It's just a storage limitation.

Reactions: Loz
Yeah I think this "you need a GPS in the display device" is a little bit of forum hypochondria. The message gets distorted to "you're out of luck if you don't have it". I could care less about follow me mode or resetting home points, the non-cell iPad works fine For everything I want to do with any drone.
I agree, I have a cell ipad but never use follow me or reposition home point, but for some it is very important.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan