IPad mini without GPS?

Reaction score
Hi DJI fans,

I am using Samsung Galaxy S6 for controlling my P3S now but I am thinking of buying IPAD MINI 4. Is it necessary to have the cellular version of iPad because of the GPS? Not cellular version does NOT have GPS and it should be problem with some modes or am I not right? Which type of IPad do you use? THANK YOU

buy a nvedia shield tablet its awesome only 199 off amazon

you are right other question I use shield tablet its just awesome

The IPad mini wi fi only model does not have GPS - but I link mine to my iPhone via personal hotspot and that gives the iPad GPS capability

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The IPad mini wi fi only model does not have GPS - but I link mine to my iPhone via personal hotspot and that gives the iPad GPS capability

Are you sure? Does a shared internet connection with an iPhone give the ipad GPS?

Are you sure? Does a shared internet connection with an iPhone give the ipad GPS?

All I can tell you is when I connect with iPad it says no GPS and when I tether it to the phone the GPS kicks right in

How can you connect to the Phantom and the iPhone at the same time?

you teather your phone to tablet so you can cache maps so they so up when you fly

Correct - when I need Internet without wi fi I turn on personal hotspot and the iPad connects like any other wi go network

Why would the wifi connected device need gps?
Its the quad gps that sets home point.
Are you using it for follow me, then the wifi connected device needs gps?

I just prefer to fly when it says you have GPS - and then all functions will work

If you want to have the maps on a iPad non cellular you can cache them at home or though a wifi hotspot.

To connect to the Standard you need to connect the tablet to wifi hotspot using bluetooth and connect the tablet wifi to the standard.

so;
Phone hotspot activate bluetooth--------connect tablet to wifi using bluetooth---------connect tablet wifi to Standard.

The blue tooth connection will share GPS not as accurate but darn close.

Ok.... So Somebody of you is using iPad mini WIFI version (without GPS) with no problems? Thank you

Ok.... So Somebody of you is using iPad mini WIFI version (without GPS) with no problems? Thank you
The only function that absolutely requires GPS on the RC device is the Follow Me. All other special functions in F-GPS mode work fine because they don't require the user's position to work. Home Lock=pull back on right stick to have craft fly to it's home spot. Course Lock=Locks orientation so that from crafts current orientation, forward stick is forward drone regardless of yaw input. POI=fly craft over something, and it circles it's position. FOLLOW ME=does not function. I think I'm missing one function, but I'm sure it also does not require GPS in RC device. Even RTH works fine, because the craft recorded it's position upon arming motors.

And yes I use my iPad Mini 2 [Wifi only] almost every flight for the larger screen compared to my phone. I cache my maps before leaving home. I always plan my flights ahead of time so that naturally allows me to cache maps. If you really need to see the maps information do this, otherwise it shows a grey grid, mind you still with course trails (bread crumbs), craft orientation, and home point, just on a blank canvas rather than a lot of greenery.

Last edited:
The only function that absolutely requires GPS on the RC device is the Follow Me. All other special functions in F-GPS mode work fine because they don't require the user's position to work. Home Lock=pull back on right stick to have craft fly to it's home spot. Course Lock=Locks orientation so that from crafts current orientation, forward stick is forward drone regardless of yaw input. POI=fly craft over something, and it circles it's position. FOLLOW ME=does not function. I think I'm missing one function, but I'm sure it also does not require GPS in RC device. Even RTH works fine, because the craft recorded it's position upon arming motors.

And yes I use my iPad Mini 2 [Wifi only] almost every flight for the larger screen compared to my phone. I cache my maps before leaving home. I always plan my flights ahead of time so that naturally allows me to cache maps. If you really need to see the maps information do this, otherwise it shows a grey grid, mind you still with course trails (bread crumbs), craft orientation, and home point, just on a blank canvas rather than a lot of greenery.
That is the answer I am looking for... Thanks a lot.

I still can't see exactly how to cache maps ?

I Bluetooth my non-cellular iPad mini to a Dual Wireless GPS Receiver. I use the iPad with X-vision in my plane and need GPS for it. You can put it in your pocket or velcro it to the remote.

Poi also does not work without a GPS enabled device.

The DJI website states that Wi-Fi iPads that are the mini 3 and newer are capable of operating the drone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair