Ipad mini with P4

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I hope someone could help me, cause i guess i´m gonna need it!!
So, i bought a Phantom 4 on last day of 2016, and when i went to store, i was thinking to buy a P3 Pro...hehehehe...
So, everything was ok, checked everything, charged all, until when i start to make the DJI GO 4.0 app download, and i notice it wasn´t compatible with my ipad.
What a hell...i thought i had the ipad mini 2...crap, i´ve the mini only!!!!
So, downloaded the dji go 3 app and it worked, but with some issues...when i start flying it, about 3/4 meters above, the image become with interferences, sometimes with lag, and didn´t even make 100 meters...
After that i upgraded the P4, radio, and checked the rest, i didn´t make another flyght, so i don´t know how it´s now, but i guess it wont work better, i guess it could go worse!!
So, contacted DJI help chat, and off course, they advised me to use another device...but i ain´t now other device, and at this moment can´t afford a new one.
So, i´m considering two things, one is to reduce image resolution to 1024 to see if it works well, the other, that i don´t want, is to give it back to the store, cause i´m still in the 15 days of testing it...
Any help would be appreciated.
Best regards.
M14

As DJI support advised, the fix is to use a compatible device. You can find a list of recommended and commonly used devices here.

Hi.
I already know that, besides, i knew it before buying it...my huge mistake was think i had the mini 2!!!
M14

Good morning M,

It sounds like you may have tried to fly in an area with some unusual interference. These could be nearby power lines, commercial radio station transmitter in your area. Could you safely try to fly in a more isolated area for a test?

Também, é posivel que vocé é português? Bom dia!

Be a shame to take it back...Have you tried looking for a second hand Mini 2 to see if that's affordable?
Or a 2nd generation Nexus 7 could be cheaper.

Hi rocky...yes i consider it, but i´m not a second hand fan buyer!!!
Instead, i prefer to try to sell mine and buy a new one mini2...
I´m checkig all scenarios first, and then decide, cause, dji go 3 app works very well on my ipad, and maybe with some changes on the app, i could get some good quality image, and without issues...
That´s why im posting it...
Hope someone could help.
M14

Hi Hi Sir!!
HEHEHE...hey Agent, where can i get it??On appstore??
But if DJI says that ain´t compatible with mini (1), aare they wrong??
Could i get the same performance??
Can You help?
Thanks.
M14

There are only two apps available on App Store: DJI Go and DJI Go 4 app. Some people call DJI Go app as DJI Go 3 as its current version is 3.1.1. There is no DJI Go 2 available on App Store.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Ok.
So i´m using Dji Go app.
So, it works, and i confim it, on ipad mini.
But could i expect more with the Go 4?!?!

I doubt that interference had anything to do with it. Much more likely that your iPad was choking on trying to process the video feed. I'd recommend an iPad Mini 4 or equivalent. Video data rates are only going to get greater.

Hi Mac.
I guess too, but i prefered not...i´m just trying to escape from the obvious!!!
But, is there a chance to change the 4k or hd signal to ipad, to 1024, and continuing filming on one of that?!?
If so, my problem could be solved...if not, i´m just gonna try to change resolution, to 1024 and wait for b€ter days :(

Changing the video recording format isn't going to make any difference....the feed from the controller to you iPad is 720p irrespective of whether you're shooting 4k or 1080p. The processor in the Mini just isn't powerful enough.

None that I see........but I never use my iPad to fully replay the video I take, I go home and they get put on my desktop and then distributed to my TVs via my media server. I've shot 1080 And 4K, and it really makes no difference to me.

Last edited:
All the early generation iPads are orphaned by Apple and most App creators. Anything earlier than iPad 2 is not supported by most Apps. Processing power is pretty weak by comparison as well.

Hi Guys, i´m considering, have no options if i keep my P4, to buy a new (or used) ipad.
So, what i really really need to know, is if the mini 2 will work perfetly or better get mini 3 or even 4?!?!
Cheers.
M14

Remember that the recording of video and photos is happening into the memory chip (Micro SD Card) on board your Phantom. 720P Video is being fed to the iPad but that's not a big load.

I bought a new iPad 2 Mini and it works well. Many of the features of the iPad 4 Mini are related to things that don't matter if you use it exclusively for Phantom flights...Camera resolution, Fingerprint Reader, Battery and more memory.

The big difference is the Mini 2 has an Apple A7 processor vs the Mini 4 has the A8. The benchmark tests are marginally better...smaller percentages BUT as long as it has adequate power to run the DJIGo or Litchi App everything should be fine.

Apple is clearly NOT designing newer iPads for use with Phantoms but rather for consumer use so most of the differences are for civilians not Phantom pilots.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20