Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

iPad Mini Support Bracket

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by slothead, Oct 6, 2014.

1. slothead

Over the weekend I threw together a bracket to support my iPad Mini. It's still sort of a sloppy configuration (not a lot of planning prior to assembly), but it holds my iPad mini better than any other support bracket that I have tried so far. It uses some 1/8" x 1/2" aluminum bar stock, some home made brackets from 0.063 sheet aluminum and a piece of 2" x 1/8" sheet aluminum. It is assembled using 4-40 screws and locknuts and washers (10 each) and a piece of 2"-wide heavy duty Velcro to attach the iPad mini to the bracket. The iPad Mini is actually in a transparent back-cover to which is added the other half of the Velcro (so there is no velcro directly attached to the iPad mini.

Here is the assembled configuration (the aluminum center bracket is for my lanyard since the iPad significantly alters the center of gravity).

[​IMG]

The 'hard-side' of the Velcro is applied to the 2' aluminum plate and wrapped around the ends to help keep it secure when removing the iPad. I don't like how the 1/2" bars stick out to the rear of the controller handle, and that may be a future design mod.

[​IMG]

The 'soft-side' of the Velcro is applied to the back of the iPad back-shell and can be applied in a variety of ways (this pattern was used because I install my Mini in another cover with a different pattern of Velcro).

[​IMG]

One of its best features is that it fits in my backpack without any disassembly or alteration.

[​IMG]

This bracket is pretty sloppy and is only a prototype although I may never produce anything more refined since it serves my purpose.

I tried to leave enough room for the pilot-side stage 2 antennas which I have yet to install, but that may require some tweaking (and of course those won't fit in the backpack without removal).

2. slothead

I tried a single-mounting-point mount Geert, and I was not pleased with the lack of stability. This double-arm thing is ultra-stable.

3. samd012

Where did you get it? Are they available?

4. samd012

Thanks for the link, have you ever tried to integrate some type of sun shield with that? If so any success?

5. Channel70Productions

Ordered on Friday and got the Droneworx bracket today. Talk about fast shipping. It looks to be a winner.

6. Ken326

Anything for full size ipad bracket?

7. MapMaker53

8. HacKiwi

I made this one. Couple dollars from the local hardware. Just get a flat bracket, bend to hold an ipad and attach with a bolt. I used some electrical tape to add grip to the end but you could do a much better job with heat shrink or plasti dip. Holds the mini perfectly stable. You can't shake it loose. Made a longer one for a full sided ipad but found it uncomfortable. Balance was way off but the bracket worked. Only needs a single hole drilled in the original holder.

*EDIT* Images

More detail here http://imgur.com/a/wxR7X

Attached Files:

9. locoworks

10. Mori55

Seriously 34.00 $ ! You frigging kidding me ! Sorry that's a ripoff , I don't care what kind of customer service or shipping they have.