Ipad mini retina overheating

Reaction score
We use an Ipad mini retina attached to a Vision 2 + controller and use it for no other purpose. In 80+ temps in direct sunlight or in the shade, the Ipad shuts down. Today, in only 75 degree temps, but in sunlight, the Ipad quit (high temp warning on screen) quit after 14 minutes. Am not running Ground Station. Is anyone else experiencing these Ipad shut downs? Apple tech support says this is not normal and they are having us do a clean install on the Ipad mini. We'll see if that works.

Wow that really sucks! I bought an iPad Mini/Retina specifically for this purpose and if this is going to be the result, I am going to be really REALLY p.@#$%.d. I haven't tried it yet (perhaps this week) but when I do, I will make particular note of the temperature. (What does a "clean install" mean?)

Good luck,

Haven't had mine shut down, but my iPhone will if I leave in a black on the dash or sitting in the sun. My mini is in a white holder so I'm sure that helps

Channel70Productions said:
We use an Ipad mini retina attached to a Vision 2 + controller and use it for no other purpose. In 80+ temps in direct sunlight or in the shade, the Ipad shuts down. Today, in only 75 degree temps, but in sunlight, the Ipad quit (high temp warning on screen) quit after 14 minutes. Am not running Ground Station. Is anyone else experiencing these Ipad shut downs? Apple tech support says this is not normal and they are having us do a clean install on the Ipad mini. We'll see if that works.

Have the same Mini as you but no issues, it does get warm but never shut down.

I have a iPad Mini/Retina and it heats up has not shut down, my outside temperature is 90 degrees F.

Channel70Productions said:

Update; Apple tech support did a remote diagnostic and saw the shut downs. We wiped the device (clean install) using I-tunes (under the watchful eye of the Apple tech while talking to him on the phone) and then only re-installed the OS and the Assistant app. Will try to fly again tomorrow.

I had the same issues with my iPad Mini Retina. One way I was able to reduce the overheating was to remove the iPad from it's case. I also double-clicked the home button and closed all apps but the DJI app. Did not have an overheating since.

I've also begun to use my work Samsung Galaxy Pro S 8.4 tablet instead of the iPad Mini, as the AMOLED screen is MUCH more readable in the sunlight. There is more pixelation and micro-hang-ups with FPV on the Samsung, but the ability to see the screen in sunlight is worth the drop-outs.

Adam

I've got the iPad mini non-retina and it too, shuts down in the sun. It's been high 90s here, and I don't blame the thing for getting too hot, I just fly where I have some shade. If nothing else, I use my truck to block the sun. :D

I've experienced this on my iPod touch and iPad mini at similar temperatures (not that hot). It doesn't help that both devices are black. I have not had this happen with my iPhone which happens to be silver/white. I'm guessing the color makes a big difference in direct sunlight.

Sorry for going off topic...
adamcb said:
the AMOLED screen is MUCH more readable in the sunlight.
Some of us would love to see a new thread comparing the iPad vs. AMOLED in the sun (with pictures). :D

UPDATE:
Today was the first non-rain since the clean install. Launched when it was 82F OAT and after 20 minutes the Ipad Mini shut down. Held it in front of the truck's AC vent for several minutes and the Ipad came back alive. Flew another ten minutes before it shut down again.
Back at the studio, called Apple who confirmed the shutdown with remote diagnostics and suggested we exchange the Ipad for a new one. That will happen tomorrow.

The replacement Ipad mini shut down in 81F temps. The case was very hot to the touch. Called apple again and NOW they came up with the follow bulletin:
iOS devices: Keeping device within acceptable operating temperatures
Learn about the operating temperatures and temperature management of iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (4th generation and later).

Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range may temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when the device is brought back to higher ambient temperatures.

Couldn't find anything online to shade the Ipad Mini, so used black foam board, xacto knife, and a glue gun. Using the shade, the Ipad Mini went just over 20 minutes in 83F bright sun without complaint. https://www.flickr.com/photos/97145948@N08/14762655872/

It's not just the iPad, either. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 that I use with the Phantom. I've had it shut down a couple of times... Mind you, here in AZ, it was 109 degrees in full brutal daylight...

Maybe this is the answer? : http://www.amazon.com/Diameter-Elastic- ... B007SUW260

Best,

Ben
Um, no! I look stupid enough as it is, but to add an umbrella hat to my ensemble' would definitely harsh my mellow.

The replacement Ipad mini shut down in 81F temps. The case was very hot to the touch. Called apple again and NOW they came up with the follow bulletin:
iOS devices: Keeping device within acceptable operating temperatures
Learn about the operating temperatures and temperature management of iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (4th generation and later).

Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range may temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when the device is brought back to higher ambient temperatures.
But here is what I don't understand... I have a P2 v.3 with pro-installed DJI Ground Station hardware, making it heavier than your standard P2, H3-3D gimbal with GoPro Hero 3+ Black, and I run it with the DJI Ground Station app on my iPad 2 mini (with A7 chipset, M7 motion coprocessor, 32Gb RAM, iOS 8.3) and the iPad doesn't overheat, in or out of the sun... only when I run the P3 Pilot app does the iPad 2 mini overheat... so I'm thinking it has something to do with the iOS Pilot app processing real-time 720p video streaming from the P3 quad that is causing it to overheat. Note that the P3's camera gimbal has a electric micro-fan to cool off the gimbal... yet the iPad mini 2 does not have any cooling fan, so I think DJI needs to mod their Pilot app to deal with the overheating problem... or make it so I can stream video at a lower resolution.

So on a Facebook forum, a respondent stated: "Enable hardware decode on the general settings from the camera screen in the top righthand corner." of the DJI Pilot app. I haven't tried it yet, but perhaps this is a fix?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1