iPad mini requirements

Reaction score
What iPad mini is required on the new phantom 4, don't want to buy too old of a unit

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

An iPad Mini 2 or higher will work.

Ok thanks, I knew my p3 had to have iPhone 5 or better......

Ok thanks, I knew my p3 had to have iPhone 5 or better......

Although an iPad mini 2 will work I would not recommend it. The screen is very, very dim in sunlight. The iPad Mini 4 has the brightest screen I have ever seen on a tablet and it has the lowest reflectance too. I works great outside, even without a sun shade (although you will still want a shade because then it works even better). With my wife's iPad Mini 2 I couldn't even see the screen even with a shade, then I used my iPhone 6 plus without a shade and I could see better than the Mini 2 with a shade.

This is the article I used to decide between the iPad Air 2 and the iPad Mini 4: iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2, and iPad Pro Display Technology Shoot-Out

Reactions: Zigs
I use an ipad mini2 i bought specifically for p3 as i understood dji go app ran much better on ios. with a 99p matt screen protector from ebay it's perfectly visible even in winter sunshine. I got a screen shade in case i need it in the summer.

Doesn't mean cpu etc will be good for p4 but screen isn't a problem imho.

I use an ipad mini2 i bought specifically for p3 as i understood dji go app ran much better on ios. with a 99p matt screen protector from ebay it's perfectly visible even in winter sunshine. I got a screen shade in case i need it in the summer.

Doesn't mean cpu etc will be good for p4 but screen isn't a problem imho.
to each their own but I can guarantee you that you would be astonished how dim your screen actually is if you tried using a mini 4 or iphone 6 plus.

I have screen brightness turned down to about 1/3 for battery life so it's really not an issue. I'm guessing the op had a faulty mini2 or maybe lives somewhere really sunny which i don't have to worry about in the UK :)

Reactions: Waylander
I have screen brightness turned down to about 1/3 for battery life so it's really not an issue. I'm guessing the op had a faulty mini2 or maybe lives somewhere really sunny which i don't have to worry about in the UK :)

Ooo Ar Ooo Ar.....:)

You only need the cellular version if you want to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset your home point to your current location after takeoff.

Reactions: Guillermo Mendivil
You only need the cellular version if you want to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset your home point to your current location after takeoff.
Hi!

Can I ask you something as it seems information about tablet compatibility is really confusing? I want to buy an ipad mini 2, NO CELLULAR only wifi. Will this do the job? Is there a feature that I won't be able to use? Does the mini 2 wifi have GPS receiver built in? Any suggestions?

I want to buy an ipad mini 2, NO CELLULAR only wifi. Will this do the job?
Yes.

Is there a feature that I won't be able to use?
You will not be able to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset your home point to your current location after takeoff. Most Phantom owners are probably not using either of these features.

Does the mini 2 wifi have GPS receiver built in?
No. If you need to add Wi-Fi later, you can get an external Bluetooth GPS receiver -- like the Bad Elf (GPS only), Dual XGPS150A (GPS only), Dual XGPS160 (GPS & GLONASS), or Garmin GLO (GPS & GLONASS).

I had the mini 2 iPad but decided to upgrade to the mini 4 as it has a better processor (A8 instead of the A7). I noticed my mini 2 got really hot after flying 15 minutes or so. Apple was nice enough to let me exchange my mini 2 for the mini 4 way past the normal return period...I did have to pay an extra $120. The screen is much brighter and so far no problem overheating.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: isopro
Either are possible.

Are you saying the app will crash or too laggy on the Ipad Mini 1?

I've tried it with my iPad Mini (1) and it doesn't crash and all the config and software/firmware update functions appear to work fine.

The video feed lags horribly however (video breaks up and hangs, etc) when the P4 is in flight so is practically unusable for FPV. The on screen menu's etc seem to work fine however.

The original iPad Mini uses the same hardware as the iPad 2, even the iPad Mini 2 is a considerable improvement over that ...

My iPad has a power connector, not a mini-USB connector.

My P4 came with two cables, both with USB on one end, and mini-usb on the other end. How do I connect my iPad -OR- my iPhone6 to the controller? The iPhone6 only has a power cord input.

Is there an adapter I am missing??? HELP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers