Ipad mini or android?

Reaction score
I want to use a 7" tablet and was wondering if a cheap android with wifi would work or should I buy an ipad (which I have nothing else apple). I would like to stay with android but not sure how much cpu speed matters.
Thanks phaz

i'm using a v1 nexus 7 (with kit kat 4.4.2). it's fine. I'm not sure where you're based but i'm sure most modern android tablets will be ok and as long as you buy from a decent outlet you should be able to return them (subject to their respective returns policies)

Bmews

I bought a second hand Nexus7 16gb Wifi off Ebay specifically for a larger FPV than my Ipod Touch could provide. Cost $122au & seems to works fine. A second hand IPad Mini was going to cost considerably more.

I specifically bought the Nexus 7 (2013) (wifi only) for its size to use with the Vision. I recently rooted my tablet, I can now use SCR Screen Recorder to capture footage with my tablet. Not sure why I thought I needed to....but its a nice option.
Some of the revision changes with the Vision and the App have caused some lag with the Nexus I hear. I've not upgraded my firmware and do not intend to until all bugs have been worked out.

I use App 1.0.38 and Vision firmware 1.80. Everything currently works perfectly.

Keep in mind, you need to have an "phone account" for the 'Find My Vision" app to work properly. It still works by caching the maps in advance of flying (while your connected to the internet). However it only displays where the Vision lost signal...not necessarily where its current location is.

Screen size IMO is ideal for the TX mount setup. I use a tripod mount and a shade screen from B&H Photo for 7 inch tablets.

See more below:
t90o.jpg

7bg4.jpg

b33e.jpg

I've since replaced the plastic garmin visor with this Sun shade for more glare reduction, much better for FPV.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ectronics_v_h70md_Hood_For_The_V_LCD70MD.html

Here is the Tripod mount I use for the ball mount on the TX:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9AKY02/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RCRookie said:
I specifically bought the Nexus 7 (2013) (wifi only) for its size to use with the Vision. I recently rooted my tablet, I can now use SCR Screen Recorder to capture footage with my tablet. Not sure why I thought I needed to....but its a nice option.
Some of the revision changes with the Vision and the App have caused some lag with the Nexus I hear. I've not upgraded my firmware and do not intend to until all bugs have been worked out.

I use App 1.0.38 and Vision firmware 1.80. Everything currently works perfectly.

Keep in mind, you need to have an "phone account" for the 'Find My Vision" app to work properly. It still works by caching the maps in advance of flying (while your connected to the internet). However it only displays where the Vision lost signal...not necessarily where its current location is.

Screen size IMO is ideal for the TX mount setup. I use a tripod mount and a shade screen from B&H Photo for 7 inch tablets.

See more below:

I've since replaced the plastic garmin visor with this Sun shade for more glare reduction, much better for FPV.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ectronics_v_h70md_Hood_For_The_V_LCD70MD.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9AKY02/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How are you attaching the new bhphoto sunscreen? I have the Nexus 2012 which is very close in size to yours. I'd love a decent sunscreen for it. Yours makes a big difference?

Thanks...
-slinger

gunslinger said:
RCRookie said:

See more below:

How are you attaching the new bhphoto sunscreen? I have the Nexus 2012 which is very close in size to yours. I'd love a decent sunscreen for it. Yours makes a big difference?

Thanks...
-slinger

Hey Slinger... I bought a roll of black velcro from the internet.. 1inch wide stuff... Cut wider strips than what came with the visor and attached the strips right to the edge of a cheap Nexus gel like case, (seen in the pics above), i bought 2 for 6 bucks each. I can carry the gel case in my Vision carry case and pop it on when needed This allows me to secure the visor much better than the thin narrow strips that came with the visor.

There is still glare.. Unavoidable i think with a tablet... It is much better, it allows me to put my face closer to the screen and block even more light. Its never going to be as good as goggles, but its better than a simple plastic visor.

I'll post a couple of pics this afternoon

RCRookie said:
gunslinger said:
RCRookie said:

See more below:

Thanks...
-slinger

Hey Slinger... I bought a roll of black velcro from the internet.. 1inch wide stuff... Cut wider strips than what came with the visor and attached the strips right to the edge of a cheap Nexus gel like case, (seen in the pics above), i bought 2 for 6 bucks each. I can carry the gel case in my Vision carry case and pop it on when needed This allows me to secure the visor much better than the thin narrow strips that came with the visor.

There is still glare.. Unavoidable i think with a tablet... It is much better, it allows me to put my face closer to the screen and block even more light. Its never going to be as good as goggles, but its better than a simple plastic visor.

I'll post a couple of pics this afternoon

You, sir... are a gentleman... :)

Thanks...
-slinger

I was looking at this one, too. It seems to be made for the same size screen, which is a little different than mine... This one's a lot deeper and you'd need to put a trap door on the bottom near the screen to be able to use the app... Since they're both made for a monitor that's 7.37" x 5.57" and my Nexus is approx. 7.814" x 4.72"... I'm not too worried about the height being a problem, just the width, since the Nexus is a bit larger. How's the fit seem on yours? I THINK your Nexus is about the same size as my older one.
(actually I just checked and yours is 7.87" x 4.49")

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-V-H70X ... 4d1c1f054c

Thanks, again...
-slinger

Here is the setup I went with from superstition hobbies.
phaz

Attachments

• IMG_0282 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0282 (Small).JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_0283 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0283 (Small).JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 374
Nice...Those frames solve a few problems...I'll have to look into those further.

Here are some pics of how I attached Velcro to the gel case, then the Visor to the Tablet. The thin Velcro strips that came with the visor were not nearly sturdy enough to hold it in place. Notice the tablet sits off the ground a little, thereby allowing you to wrap the edge of the visor under the tablet case..This holds quite well.
20140427_093603.jpg

20140427_093049.jpg

20140427_093942.jpg

20140427_094129.jpg

I bought this hook and loop Velcro roll to cut out wide strips for the gel case.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Fastener-T...n+x+10+ft+(1+mated+strip)+(1+Mated+Strip/Bag)

Not heavy at all all alum. I use a strap that goes around both shoulders and it is balanced great.
phaz

A basic question for anyone here but can I use my iPad instead of my Iphone with my stock vision 2? I tried to get the app like the phone app but could not find it from iPad app store.

naswat said:
A basic question for anyone here but can I use my iPad instead of my Iphone with my stock vision 2? I tried to get the app like the phone app but could not find it from iPad app store.

You will need to change the filter in the App Store to include iphone apps. On my iPad it defaults to iPad only, change it to iPhone only and the DJI Vision app will show up.

Thanks BManCan!!! I know it was a simple question and I went directly to a web address for DJI that gunslinger posted and it worked perfectly. I also want to thank all of the experienced and tech guys for helping everyone from beginners to seasoned veterans as we all know we were all rookies at one point. I don't even go to dii site anymore I come here where the real experts are. Thanks again to everyone who takes their own valuable time to help all of us out...It is appreciated i am sure by all.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj