iPad Mini 4

Reaction score
I just got an iPad Mini 4, and started using that instead of my Note 4...omg what a difference. There's a park I fly at, that if I get near the fence line, my video starts lagging with the Note 4. With the iPad, it was smooth as butter past that. I've seen people asking about using iPads, so I thought I'd add my experience with it.

I get smooth videos even with the iPad mini 2, you must be getting definitely a thick butter on your toast. :)

I just got my P3P. I am using samsung galaxy edge 6+ and it works well but I would like some more real estate. Do I need a 3G ipad? If its wifi only. How does the ipad get the maps? Thanks for your help.

I just got an iPad Mini 4, and started using that instead of my Note 4...omg what a difference. There's a park I fly at, that if I get near the fence line, my video starts lagging with the Note 4. With the iPad, it was smooth as butter past that. I've seen people asking about using iPads, so I thought I'd add my experience with it.
I was using an iPhone 5S until I got a mini 4. Awesome! most people like to step up to the air 2. We'll see, but for now I,m happy

Do I need a 3G ipad? If its wifi only. How does the ipad get the maps?
If you have a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini/Air/Pro, you can cache the maps before you fly -- like this:

Reactions: Ovaine
If you have a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini/Air/Pro, you can cache the maps before you fly -- like this:

Or do what I do - turn my iPhone 6's wifi hotspot on and tether my wifi-model Samsung Tab S2 tablet to it to receive map when flying. Should work the same with a wifi-model iPad too if I am not wrong.

Or do what I do - turn my iPhone 6's wifi hotspot on and tether my wifi-model Samsung Tab S2 tablet to it to receive map when flying. Should work the same with a wifi-model iPad too if I am not wrong.

On iPhones you are tethering over the 2.4Ghz wifi frequency, the same base frequency your RC uses for both control and video from your P3. It might work fine but I personally wouldn't chance it. I have heard on Android phones you can choose to tether over the 5Ghz wifi frequency instead. That would be safer.

Hands down the Go App runs better on iOS devices. I attribute it to being that iOS isn't a Java based platform like Android is and in my opinion iOS is a more efficient operating system. Android devices require much more hardware (RAM, CPU, etc.) to run as smooth as iOS devices with half of the resources. I don't want to get in a holy war as there are plenty of people that hate Apple, mostly because I believe iOS devices cost so much, but from a technical standpoint overall iOS is a much more mature platform grounded on a more stable foundation, not Java. Ask anyone who works in IT, Java is pretty much a resource hog, less stable and less secure. Java is the next Flash.

Hands down the Go App runs better on iOS devices.
FWIW, after setting up my tablets properly, I cannot tell the difference performance-wise in DJI GO between my iPad Mini 2/4, Google Nexus 7, and Nvidia Shield K1.

For clarification android is written in core c, c++ and the UI in java. It is not untable. Google hasnt yet implemented the same rules as apple which is the design. Apple developers have to adhere by certain rules to develop, while android is free form. Android is starting to develop material design which gives all apps aame look and feel and stability. That is the downfall so far of android. Hence giving apple the upper hand, but with marshmallow android will be closer. As a note apple uses a unix based background for services and is developed in objective c which is pretty much same as c++ that is why Apple products can now use intel as processors. I am using galaxy edge-6 + and it runs pefect. I need a bigger screen thinking of the nvidia tablet or ipad mini. Going to test both next week

I also use the ipad 4 ,I have a cellular model without activation. (Only cellular versions have gps)The Autopilot app runs very smooth also. I have the beta version with waypoints ,if it would only stop raining I could test it more.

I also have the mini 4 cellular and upgraded from mini 2. Really great performance and perfect size. I always get the T-Mobile version to get the 200mb of data FREE per month for LIFE. That's just enough to stay connected most everywhere I am and cost's nothing. You can even get on the free train with a cellular model not currently on T-mobile with a sim swap but look into the proper way to get the free data.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj