iPad Mini 4 with Wi-Fi + HotSpot

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting the iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi only and using the HotSpot from my iPhone 6 Plus to use on one of my P3Pro.

Has anyone done this with success?
Or is the cellular version that important?
Also, has anyone had any problems with it overheating?

I am thinking about getting the iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi only and using the HotSpot from my iPhone 6 Plus to use on one of my P3Pro.

It all depends on which optional features are important to you.
Check out this single post for a high level summary to help with your research.

Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

As for overheating, the only trouble I ever had was last summer with an iPad Mini 2. I finally gave up using it and got an Air 2.

Your approach works fine, with these limitations:

- No GPS in the iPad means RTH is limited to the original take-off location, and Follow Me doesn't work at all.

- If you are using the hotspot to update the map, then you have WiFi turned on during flight. That has the potential to compromise the communications link between the RC and the aircraft.

You won't have overheating problems with the iPad mini 4. It has a very fast processor and the brightest screen available.

Reactions: BIG D FILMS

Yes by connecting to hotspot you will be access the maps but you will not get local GPS based features.

No GPS in the iPad means RTH is limited to the original take-off location
You can still reset the home point to the Phantom's current location after takeoff.

You can still reset the home point to the Phantom's current location after takeoff.

True. But you can't update the controller location, which might be valuable in the case of a returning aircraft low on battery power where the operator moves his/her location in order to facilitate a quicker landing when in RTH mode. I realize this is a stretch and it certainly isn't a major benefit.

I chose an iPad mini with cellular primarily to give me real time GPS location when using it under any circumstances, including those that have nothing to do with flying the Phantom. It also allows me to more conveniently update my GO app map in the field.

I have a wifi only mini and it's a pain in the butt. Switched over to my iPhone 6s until the new smaller iPad Pro is released. My advice is to plunk down a bit of extra cash and get the cellular version with the GPS radio. A few things to remember:

a. You don't need to activate the cellular plan. The GPS is going to work perfectly. You can always tether to your phone and cache the maps on the GO app, then untether.

b. When flying turn off wifi, and enable Do Not Disturb (if you don't want call or text rings while you fly). I see people saying to enable Airplane Mode. Don't do it. Apple's iOS updates are notorious for letting the GPS radio still work in one release version during Airplane Mode, then completely changing that to not working in the next release.

ps. GPS data does not transfer from your phone to a wifi only tablet via tethering. Without a true GPS radio, your location has the potential of being significantly wrong - depending on a lot of factors.

The iPad mini wi-fi only is fine. You do lose the ability to change homepoint to RC location (e.g., if you're flying off of a boat) and the follow me function. However, the vertical AI app looks promising for a more visual-based follow me and the 4 is visual-based also. no problems overheating. If you really want GPS in the future, you can get a Garmin GLO unit and that connects to the ipad and provides GPS. Benefit is that you can use that GPS unit with other devices and future devices and it is an arguably more accurate GPS with a higher frequency of updates. Negative is that it is another thing that needs to be charged, carried with you and connected.

I use the iPad 4 wifi with my p3p and it works just great for me. I cache my maps ahead of time and have never had a problem.
I don't use follow me so that's a nonissue and I always stay in the area I lift off from so tracking my GPS location is no issue either. I have an iPhone 6 I can use if i do decide to use those features.
Just put the dji app on your phone and use that should you need to use any of the features mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well I decided to go with the iPad mini 4 with cellular, but using it linked to my iPhone 6 Plus. After several flights flights I have to say I think it was the right choice. No issues while linked to my iPhone and no overheating problems.

Also ordered a leather iPad mini sunshade from DronesEtc.com. Great quality and fit.

BIG D FILMS

How is the visibility of the Mini 4 in the sun? From looking at it in the store, it seems to have a better, less reflective and brighter display than the earlier iPads. Since you ordered a sun shade I'm guessing not quite visible enough?

I really want an iPad for running Autopilot and Drones Made Easy, but some of the Android tablets have displays that seem much more visible in bright sunlight.

If you got a Mini with cellular, why link it to the iPhone? Or did you just not activate a cellular plan for it?

Slightly off topic... But am I correct in assuming that if I tether my Nexus 7 II 2013 which has GPS but no cellular to my iPhone 6 Plus via Bluetooth (don't want to use wifi in fear of interface) I would be able to get all of the advantages of follow me, dynamic home point, etc... AND live maps so I wouldn't have to cache maps anymore?

Slightly off topic... But am I correct in assuming that if I tether my Nexus 7 II 2013 which has GPS but no cellular to my iPhone 6 Plus via Bluetooth (don't want to use wifi in fear of interface) I would be able to get all of the advantages of follow me, dynamic home point, etc... AND live maps so I wouldn't have to cache maps anymore?

Most popular Android tablets have GPS.

You don't need to tether it in order to use Follow Me or to manually reset the home point to the Phantom's current location. However, you could tether it to get an Internet connection and download the maps while out flying.

You don't need to tether it in order to use Follow Me or to manually reset the home point to the Phantom's current location. However, you could tether it to get an Internet connection and download the maps while out flying.

That was my question exactly. Thanks for clearing that up. It would be nice not to have to cache maps before I head out. I'll give it a shot. Do you agree that I should tether over Bluetooth instead of WiFi so I don't run into any interference issues?

If I had a choice, I would use Bluetooth.

I use an iPad air2 wifi only, tether my phone using wifi, and have a separate Bluetooth gps device. Works beautifully.

I use an iPad air2 wifi only, tether my phone using wifi, and have a separate Bluetooth gps device. Works beautifully.
I use the same set up, Garmin glo it's much more reliable unlike the countless fly always relying on your cellular gps.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj