Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there's been a few threads on this already, but I'm looking for a few specific answers and hope you can help! I would like to upgrade from using my iPhone 6 as the screen on the remote to something a bit bigger where I can see more details and frame my shots better.

- Which would be a better choice in terms of screen glare, screen size and clarity and processor speed when using outdoors: iPad mini 4 or iPad Pro 9.7 or iPad Air?

- I definitely want to have GPS available so do I need to get the cellular version or not? If yes - would I need to get a data sim and activate it?

Thank you for all your help!

If you want GPS you must have the cellular version.
You do not need data (sim) for that to work.

I use a non cellular iPad mini 4, works well but I do have to cache maps first.
I dont want follow me which is the only reason to have GPS.

Ipad air 2. Get a sun screen for it to use while flying. All of your choices would need that anyway. The air 2 is the perfect size for really seeing the app and framing well. I wouldn't go smaller or larger.

Reactions: belmontncguy
Reactions: belmontncguy
Which would be a better choice in terms of screen glare, screen size and clarity and processor speed when using outdoors: iPad mini 4 or iPad Pro 9.7 or iPad Air?
You can compare the tablet specs in detail here.

You'd need to determine which screen size is best for you. Maybe check them out in person somewhere so you can see what they look like up close.

While no tablet is easy to view in direct sun light, the iPad Pro is going to be the easiest to see outside. You can see a comparison between the iPad Pro and iPad Air 2 screen here.

I definitely want to have GPS available
FWIW, unless you're going to use the Follow Me feature or need to be able to reset the home point to your tablet's location after taking off, you won't need GPS on your tablet to fly your Phantom.

You'd need to determine which screen size is best for you. Maybe check them out in person somewhere so you can see what they look like up close.

While no tablet is easy to view in direct sun light, the iPad Pro is going to be the easiest to see outside. You can see a comparison between the iPad Pro and iPad Air 2 screen here.

FWIW, unless you're going to use the Follow Me feature or need to be able to reset the home point to your tablet's location after taking off, you won't need GPS on your tablet to fly your Phantom.
I agree, my mini 4 wifi only has been working great for me. Couldn't see paying more just to allow for features that I really won't use.

My iPad Pro 9.7 is perfect and that's the absolute largest size that will fit in the holder. I've never once had any lag or any issue whatsoever. It will not however charge daisy chained with the controller like other smaller phones do but it is rocksolid.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

In the market for a tablet but might wait for the Apple refresh iPhone, iPad, Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy
For now the 6S will have to do.
As always, your posts are some of the most helpful to this new flyer. Thanks!

If you happen to get or have an iPad without cellular service, get a Garmin Glo. It links to your iPad via Bluetooth and provides GPS and Glonass service that is better than the GPS service provided by the cellular functionality. I use it with iPad Air 2 and it works great.

Last edited:
Reactions: guhorns
or need to be able to reset the home point to your tablet's location after taking off said:
Depending on circumstances, resetting home point could be a REALLY important feature.

Thank you everyone for your insightful tips! I guess screen glare would be the most important issue to consider. I am also tempted to now wait a month or two to find out if the rumors of iPad Air 3 being unveiled in March will come true...

Any other thoughts on screen glare from iPad users?

My iPad Pro 9.7 is perfect and that's the absolute largest size that will fit in the holder. I've never once had any lag or any issue whatsoever. It will not however charge daisy chained with the controller like other smaller phones do but it is rocksolid.

The iPad Pro fits in a Phantom4Pro remote contol?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Do you need to have a phone thru them? It looks like you need at least a prepaid line. Any clarification?

Quote from the link "In order to get the 200 MB of free data per month, you need to activate a Mobile Internet account and register your tablet on our network. You don’t need to pay for an additional data plan."

Just set up an account and register...My IPad Pro had an internal sim so I didn't even need to get one...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan