iPad Mini 4 and the Phantom 4 Pro: Wifi or Cellular Version???

Reaction score
I am considering an iPad Mini 4 for my Phantom 4 Pro. I want to get the Wifi only version to save money. Not having cellular connection, what concerns might there be regarding the drone's capabilities? Will not having cellular data while flying affect GPS, intelligent flight modes, or anything else in any way? If I do wind up having to get the cellular version, does that also mean having to get a data plan with my carrier? I did read in the iPad's specs that only the cellular version has bulit in GPS. Any clarification is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You do not need a data plan, I think only the follow me mode is not available on the non cell version, and you cannot adjust the home point during flight with the non cell.

With the wifi ipad 4 only you don't have GPS, there for you cant use functions like follow me the RTH in a different location. With the Cellular version, you don't need a data plan as the GPS is always active. Having a plan only allows you to get maps and download things to your iPad mini 4 if required. If you already got a mobile phone , you could tether to it to download the maps and cache it in the iPad mini 4 Cellular.

Reactions: uke
Without GPS on your mobile device, you cannot use the Follow Me flight mode or manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. All other GPS related features will work since they use GPS data from the Phantom's internal GPS receiver.

Without GPS on your mobile device, you cannot use the Follow Me flight mode or manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. All other GPS related features will work since they use GPS data from the Phantom's internal GPS receiver.

Thanks for the info...if I get the iPad with cellular, does that mean I'll also have to have a data plan for it (in my case from Verizon)?

Thanks for the info...if I get the iPad with cellular, does that mean I'll also have to have a data plan for it (in my case from Verizon)?
Only if you want to download maps at the field
In the uk three do afree sim with 200mb of free data a month, ideal for the odd map download on site, dont know if there is an equivalent elsewhere

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr