iPad Mini 4 $299 @ BestBuy

Reaction score
Flew my first job with the updated DJI GO App this morning and it choked my iPad Mini 2.

So, I started Googling iPad Mini 4s and found that they were $100 off this weekend at BestBuy.

Picked one up.

I presume it has a lot to do with Apple's June 8th WWDC and a new version forthcoming.

The mini is being discontinued (if rumors are correct)... hence why it's dropping probably. When it comes to sales, it's the mini that dragging the numbers down in the whole product line.

Also the new mini 4 is the same as the one when it first launched in terms of specs except for storage options. Nothing else has changed

Actually, the processing specs were significantly updated.

Chipset Apple A7 => Apple A8
CPU Dual-core 1.3 GHz Cyclone (ARM v8-based) => Dual-core 1.5 GHz Typhoon
GPU PowerVR G6430 (quad-core graphics) => PowerVR GX6450 (quad-core graphics)

I am setting it up now, and plan to fly this afternoon and I will let you know how it performs. Beauty is, I have 14 days to return it to BestBuy if it is not better.

At $299, if after June 8th there is something more applicable to use, the kids get a new ipad mini 4. ;-)

Also the new iPad 9.7" 32GB starts at 329 new at Apple. And it's s better processor and gpu.

So dpwarren, have a question: can you tell me how the video feed is on your new mini? Mine was working up until 2 versions ago now it's unusable. I'm curious.

(Refer to this posting for more info: Continued video breakup
Continued video breakup

I have an Air and don't like flying with it. Feels cumbersome.

Agreed. But if Apple does kill the mini line then we're gonna be saddled with the big displays :/

So dpwarren, have a question: can you tell me how the video feed is on your new mini? Mine was working up until 2 versions ago now it's unusable. I'm curious.

(Refer to this posting for more info: Continued video breakup
Continued video breakup

I'll report on that as soon as I test it. I was struggling a little with video transmission, but upgraded to a MAXXuav antenna several months ago and it has dramatically improved. I switch it between my P4 and Inspire.

I'm seriously thinking about getting in on this deal because I believe there will be a run on them if the rumors are true and Apple discontinues them. If that happens then getting one later will be harder and cost a lot more. Similar to the nVidia Shield tablet. It was $199.99 before it was discontinued. Now they cost over $400.00, if you can even find one. I like the new iPad 2017 but it is too big and heavy for use for an extended period of time flying drones.

Apple to discontinue iPad mini as device gets squeezed from both ends

I bought one on sale too. I like that it has 128GB of memory. Have the mini2 but just bought a new P3A on sale for $730 at BB. I have a elite membership with BB which gives me 45 days to return. Love those perks. Mini2 is used with my P3P.

Reactions: ravedog
Flew with the mini 4 last night. No crashes, clear and flawless video streaming.

I flew up to ~3,000 ft horizontal at 150 feet and never lost video.

Note: i also had a MAXXUAV un-boosted antenna on the controller. For $130, it is a great solution.

Last edited:
Flew with the mini 4 last night. No crashes, clear and flawless video streaming.

I flew up to ~3,000 ft vertical at 150 feet and never lost video.

Note: i also had a MAXXUAV un-boosted antenna on the controller. For $130, it is a great solution.
How did you manage to get to an altitude of 3000 ft ("...3000 ft vertical...")?

Bought my iPad mini 4 some months ago, but I've been pleased with mine, both for the P4 and just running the apps I use regularly. If I hadn't then I would now particularly at that price for the 128 gig model.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20