Ipad mini 3 Wifi only worked fine.....whys is GPS required?

Reaction score
Hi,

I was flying my drone today using an iPad mini 3 with Wifi only (no GPS). I cached the area i wanted to fly. The map pin pointed where i was exactly as home. I moved locations and the Home set to my new location. I was reading thread that stated this was not possible and the reason why GPS is required. Is there something I'm missing? and no my iPad did not have wifi internet to reset my location. Im confused.btw, this is my sisters iPad and I'm auditioning tablet options. was thinking of getting android tablet because its cheaper but man the iPad is just superior. Any thoughts? What am i missing here? maybe controller have built in GPS?

No internet or GPS is required if you cache the map before hand to change locations of home.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

No internet or GPS is required if you cache the map before hand to change locations of home.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
oh ok that makes sense considering i was able to change to different location and still have the home set to my new position. I was reading a bunch of thread with response of needing GPS even after caching in order for tablet to know your home point. anyways thanks for the response.

I moved locations and the Home set to my new location.
Are you saying you moved to a new location while your Phantom was in the air?

Are you saying you moved to a new location while your Phantom was in the air?
No i landed it. turned it off and then moved location. at the new location my home point was reset. I moved to 3 separate location.

The home point is set to the Phantom's current location each time you start it up. That just happens to be very close to your current location since you're always nearby. You'll need a device with GPS in order to set the home point to your current location mid-flight.

The home point is set to the Phantom's current location each time you start it up. That just happens to be very close to your current location since you're always nearby. You'll need a device with GPS in order to set the home point to your current location mid-flight.
OK, now that makes sense! thanks i think ill be good with a wifi only tablet vs pay double the price for GPS........and if i need it to follow me....ive got my iPhone

You will need a tablet or phone with GPS to use some of the flight modes like Follow.

Reactions: Manh
Follow Me is the only flight mode that requires GPS on the mobile device.

Reactions: Manh
Follow Me is the only flight mode that requires GPS on the mobile device.
thanks man.....I think i will just get iPad mini with Wifi only if thats the case....if i really want to use follow me.....well i got my iPhone6s haha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20