iPad mini 3 , do you need SIM card?

Reaction score
Hi guys now im looking at getting the iPad mini 3 LTE for my new phantom,
(Still yet to purchase) may be a silly question but do you still need to install the SIM card ? I understand that the phantom uses the iPads gps system,
Just want to know as I have next to no connection to mobile towers where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I use an iPad mini 2 wifi and it works perfect out in the field. I usually tether it to my iPhone so I can load maps then I'm good to go. The iPad mini 3 should work as good

Hi guys now im looking at getting the iPad mini 3 LTE for my new phantom,
(Still yet to purchase) may be a silly question but do you still need to install the SIM card ? I understand that the phantom uses the iPads gps system,
Just want to know as I have next to no connection to mobile towers where I live.

No. An iPad with Cellular capability has the built in GPS module.
But you only need cellular connectivity to stream live video to your own YouTube channel. The onboard GPS enables your autonomous flight modes.

RedHotPoker

No. An iPad with Cellular capability has the built in GPS module.
But you only need cellular connectivity to stream live video to your own YouTube channel. The onboard GPS enables your autonomous flight modes.

RedHotPoker

That's great, just saved me another pre paid plan, I'm only interested in post video from the sd card anyway

Yup, Use the saved money to buy a second micro sd card. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: peterepeat69
You don't need to buy a SIM card exclusively for your this iPad. SIM card is needed for two purposes:

1. Getting live maps at site of flying. This you can get it by caching maps for the site when you were at home where you had wifi. Alternately, take out your phones SIM card and plug it at site to get the maps and take out the card.

2. You need to live transmit your video on YouTube. Most of don't use this feature, we do it offline. In case you need it, you need a SIM card only for that duration.

You don't need to buy a SIM card exclusively for your this iPad. SIM card is needed for two purposes:

1. Getting live maps at site of flying. This you can get it by caching maps for the site when you were at home where you had wifi. Alternately, take out your phones SIM card and plug it at site to get the maps and take out the card.

2. You need to live transmit your video on YouTube. Most of don't use this feature, we do it offline. In case you need it, you need a SIM card only for that duration.

I gather you don't need live maps to actually fly yes just need video, speaking of that do you for example use live maps all the time? Where has it been crucial if so

Sadly, quite often, cached maps from home WiFi, aren't available upon arrival at the flying location. So caching maps on location would be a huge advantage. ;-)

I usually fly by camera view, so it's not that important for my style.

RedHotPoker

I gather you don't need live maps to actually fly yes just need video, speaking of that do you for example use live maps all the time? Where has it been crucial if so

I never use maps at site though some might use. I use cam view and radar.

Cool and by the way thanks you guys are cool on your info, really saves a lot of time for sure

Most folks here, are quite vocal, in sharing pertinent and helpful Info or relative suggestions.

RedHotPoker

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers