Ipad Mini 2

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm after some information regarding the iPad Mini 2.

Now they are on sale I am thinking of getting one instead of using my iPhone 6 but am wondering do i need the wifi with 3g or will wifi on its own be ok.

Thanks for replies,

Darren.

The iPad Mini 2 will work great with your Phantom.

You only need the cellular model if you wish to use it for functions that require GPS in the mobile unit, such as "Follow Me" mode.

With the WiFi only model, you will need to cache the maps at home before you go or use the hotspot on your iPhone before you launch.

But otherwise, the WiFi model is all you need.

Hi everyone,

I'm after some information regarding the iPad Mini 2.

Now they are on sale I am thinking of getting one instead of using my iPhone 6 but am wondering do i need the wifi with 3g or will wifi on its own be ok.

Thanks for replies,

Darren.
My mini2 with wifi works just fine. If I'm going to fly in a different location I cache my map before flight using wifi zooming in to show more detail. Then shut off the GoApp until I arrive at that location. Once there, I open the GoApp check my settings & fly using the saved cached map. Works flawlessly. Many here use wifi only with excellent results.

However, 3G will give you continuous updates. But at a usually substantial cost to you to your provider that gives you the 3G. That decision is up to you.

So i could connect to the hotspot on my iPhone in order to use the maps ?

So i could connect to the hotspot on my iPhone in order to use the maps ?
Yes. You could also cache them before you go out to fly.

I would avoid the mini 2 if you live somewhere warm. Mine overheats and doesn't work well. You could get away with this in cooler climates though.

I would avoid the mini 2 if you live somewhere warm. Mine overheats and doesn't work well.
Mine only overheated once on me in the summer when it was about 90 degrees (F) outside. But, all was well again after I took it out of its case and stood in the shade.

Yeah I live in the tropics where it is consistently hot. Always having issues with it unfortunately .

I don't think overheating will be a problem for me living in the uk, I do remember seeing the sun once but that was when I was on holiday in Orlando. Lol

Every 'overheating' I have seen included 'then I took it out of the case"....

For those with an iPad mini 2, I was told that you do not have to sign up with service provider for GOS to work. Please someone try turning off wifi, cellular and Bluetooth and checking GPS. I want to make sure before I buy

For those with an iPad mini 2, I was told that you do not have to sign up with service provider for GOS to work. Please someone try turning off wifi, cellular and Bluetooth and checking GPS. I want to make sure before I buy
Check this out to see if it helps with your question..
Ipad Mini 2 | DJI Phantom Forum

I had an P3 dedicated ipad mini 2. Constantly had issues with video drop out. Got rid of it for an Air2. Flawless now.
I had a similar experience. My Mini 2 worked very well for a month or two, but then when it became hot (>95F / 35C) in the summer the Mini 2 became a problem for me. It started to overheat and the FPV would lag badly. Sometimes it would even shut down completely. I bought an Air 2 and it has been wonderful for the most part, even in the summer heat.

In fairness, whenever a post is made about a Mini 2 overheating, there are normally posts following that say theirs works fine in 100+ weather, with the case on, in direct sunlight. It seems like with most things, everyone has their own experience. Just take it all in as assorted data points and make your own informed decision.

Cheers!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic