iPad Mini 2 vs 4.....any preference for the P4?

Reaction score
Once again I find myself thinking about picking up a Phantom. I THINK I've finally wrapped my head around the whole tablet thing, now I'm curious as to whether I should look for the latest/greatest Mini 4, or stick with the "lesser" Mini 2? Any advantage to spending more money? LOL

Reactions: GaryJD
The iPad Mini 4 is faster, lighter, and has a less reflective screen. However, the iPad Mini 2 will work just fine if that fits better within your budget.

Reactions: ArZombie
The iPad Mini 4 is faster, lighter, and has a less reflective screen. However, the iPad Mini 2 will work just fine if that fits better within your budget.
Unless you don't like the size, the Air is the least reflective IMHO.

But for reflectivity, nothing beats the Pro which is all I use now if not using iPhone. It also runs Drone Deploy better than any other medium.

Obviously budget is a concern for most people, including myself. However, I guess it depends how bad you are willing to spend your disposable incomes me on pleasantries like no reflection.

In the Apple Store hold up Apple Air w 2 and either of the minis and look at what it's reflecting behind you. The minis look like mirrors and the Air is matted. Then compare that to the Pro and everything is night and day.

Also, depending on who you ask, if it's important for you to use "follow me" and this is where the controversy is, to me there is no question, is you don't have GPS in your tab, which all non-cell iPhones don't, you won't get the same accuracy when creating new dynamic home points.

Say you have follow me in a car and then you want to change your honepoint to wherever you are now, I'd want to count on GPS over wifi triangulation so that's the rub with iStuff. On any of their pads, you need a cell version to have GPS or you have to go buy a $99 GPS adapter.

Almost all Android phones come with them. I'd reccomend the shield if you go that route.

Sorry about typos. Wrote that in 1 minute.

Last edited:

Agree. Just watch the mini 2 for heat issues. Mine only shutdown once due to a hot day and sunlight, but it was enough to get my undivided attention. [emoji31]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I've been using Mini2 for a year now and it does a good job but.... if I were buying a new one it would be a newer generation for sure. More speed and less glare is a Win-Win for sure.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I found a used iPad mini 4 locally on craigslist and the price I was able to negotiate was not much more than people were looking to get for used iPad mini 2s. Regardless of what you find, if you buy used, make sure you are able to reset the iPad before you pay for it. The Apple Store will not assist you unless you can provide proof of the original purchase, although you do not have to be the original purchaser. I bought mine from a guy that owns a cell phone business and he was able to walk me through a procedure that allowed my iTunes to recognize it and reset everything as new. I had tried everything without success to get my iTunes to recognize the used iPad until I called the seller back and he helped me through it. It took about one minute with his help.

Reactions: BigAl07
price was a factor for me , so i went with the mini2 , with the P4 with 2 extra batteries and some other accessories too ...so the bill climbed is why i mini2 came into play along with what i read about it being able to handle the P4 with no problems and i've flown the hell out of mine since i got it ...logged as of today over 77 flights, and about 80 miles total distance ..so for now mini2 works good enough for what i need it for...jmo

I started with the mini 2, upgraded to the mini 4 due to heat issues. I am now considering the Ipad Pro 9.7. I have the larger Pro but it is only wifi.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: John Locke
Say you have follow me in a car and then you want to change your honepoint to wherever you are now, I'd want to count on GPS over wifi triangulation so that's the rub with iStuff. On any of their pads, you need a cell version to have GPS or you have to go buy a $99 GPS adapter.
Very true, but you don't necessarily have to activate the iPad with cellular service. The GPS device in the cellular supported iPad will work without the cellular service being enabled. However, having the cellular enabled is really nice for downloading the maps, most anytime you fly.

Okay, so here is where I'm getting mixed signals.

I went to the AT&T store yesterday to peruse the 'Pads. If I were to get my WiFi + Cellular there, there are activation fees, $10/mth extra line, probably have to up my data plan, etc. If I recall, the Mini 4 was something like $460 with 2 years of installments. So that's like $700 or so over two years so my iPad can be hooked up to the Network.

Now if I am understanding John correctly, the only thing that gains me in functionality is that I can download maps 'in the field'? Dumb question, but shouldn't I somehow be able to get the maps from my already functioning iPhone 'in the field' and get it to my non-connected-but-cellular-capable-iPad?

I'm a big fan of convenience, and I'm willing to pay for some more of it. But I have limits. LOL

And how does the iPad Air compare to the Minis, besides reflectivity? :)

Last edited:
I went to the AT&T store yesterday to peruse the 'Pads. If I were to get my WiFi + Cellular there, there are activation fees, $10/mth extra line, probably have to up my data plan, etc.
You can buy a cellular model without activating a data plan. It'll cost more though.

shouldn't I somehow be able to get the maps from my already functioning iPhone 'in the field' and get it to my non-connected-but-cellular-capable-iPad?
You can cache the maps in DJI GO while connected to the Internet at home. Or, you could tether it to a device that has Internet (e.g. your iPhone) to download the maps when out flying.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I use ipad mini2 cellular and just top up data on pay as you go basis. Dont have heat issues but then Wales is never that hot anyway. Wouldnt mind seeing what the ipad pro is like mind

i don't have the celluar on my mini2, i use my iphone 6s as a hot spot and connect my mini through wi fi to get the maps i need in the field and then i can shut off my cells hot spot so i'm not using more data than i need just to get the map ...works perfectly for me

Last edited:

I went to the AT&T store yesterday to peruse the 'Pads. If I were to get my WiFi + Cellular there, there are activation fees, $10/mth extra line, probably have to up my data plan, etc. If I recall, the Mini 4 was something like $460 with 2 years of installments. So that's like $700 or so over two years so my iPad can be hooked up to the Network.

Now if I am understanding John correctly, the only thing that gains me in functionality is that I can download maps 'in the field'? Dumb question, but shouldn't I somehow be able to get the maps from my already functioning iPhone 'in the field' and get it to my non-connected-but-cellular-capable-iPad?

I'm a big fan of convenience, and I'm willing to pay for some more of it. But I have limits. LOL

Sorry I didn't say that. Was in a rush. I just said you have to get the cell version but yeah, you don't need to activate it. If you want to load maps and stuff if you have your phone with you, you always have a hotspot for turning on the iPad's network.

I was referring to John Locke's post, but since you brought it up....If memory serves, that's an additional feature to have your phone be a hotspot, right? Can the iPhone not 'talk' to the iPad without the iPhone being a hot spot?

I suppose I might just go ahead and pony up the coin to get the AT&T activated one. Might be more convenient and the cost IS spread out over time.

What about using an Air instead of a Mini? Bigger screen, similar processing. Any pros/cons?

Can the iPhone not 'talk' to the iPad without the iPhone being a hot spot?
Correct. You must setup a hotspot to share the Internet connection.

What about using an Air instead of a Mini? Bigger screen, similar processing.
The only real con is the larger size. If that's the size you prefer though, then it's not a con at all.

You can tether a wifi iPad to your phone and get the maps that way.

I have the iPad mini 3 and I'm already considering upgrading to the iPad Pro 9.7 or the iPad mini 4 because there is more ram in those devices. The iPad mini 3 only contains 1GB while the iPad mini 4 contains 2GB

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj