Ipad Mini 2 Settings? Help!

Reaction score
Hey guys-

OK, I had a bad week here....

Upon firmware update to my Nexus 7, 2013- The USB connector no longer works - and nothing will bring it back.

I ordered and received today a Ipad Mini II which has a 5-star rating for use with the Phantom 3.

I just fired it up and the frame rate on downlink video is horrible. It's worse than any device I have tried so far.

Move the Phantom 3 any - and the video is total mush. Hardware decode on.. WiFi and bluetooth off...
nothing else running...

If any of you are using the Mini 2, could you tell me which software/firmware versions you are using?

If this can't be made to work, I'll list my setup here for sale shortly.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer-

Bob

I run:
app 2.4.0
fw ac 1.4.10
fw rc 1.4.30

This is all the latest as of today.

On my iPad mini2 it works perfectly. No dropouts unless I am directly overhead or in a building with lots of metal.

I dedicate my iPad to the P3P only no extra apps. I make sure it runs cool by not running any other apps as I am flying and I always fly in airplane mode. This helps keep the processor cool it may not make a difference until you have flown for a while but the Apps for P3P are processor and GPU intensive. I load maps before flying via personal hotspot on my iPhone.

I also use custom settings on the quietest channel and turn the rate down to 4mb/s. It has been rock solid for me.

Pay close attention to the antenna positions according to DJI recommendations. Basically be perpendicular to the P3P, if overhead the signal is always weak because the antennas in the MR are vertical in the legs.

I'm running iPad Mini-2 with no custom settings and it works splendidly. Hopefully it's just a setting that's out of whack.

I've run a Mini 2, iPhone 6S and now usually use my Mini 4. Nothing special for any of them. I don't shut down apps (most people don't understand that shutting down "background" apps does not do what they think it does.) Sometimes I tether to my iPhone for Internet and sometimes use my external bluetooth Dual GPS. I've even responded to a text while flying (drone was up high and the wife texted - I HAD to respond and it seemed easier to do it on the mini than to grab the phone out of my pocket.) From what I know about iOS development (I've dabbled) and the way this stuff works, you do not need to do anything special to make your iOS device work well with your Phantom.

I've run a Mini 2, iPhone 6S and now usually use my Mini 4. Nothing special for any of them. I don't shut down apps (most people don't understand that shutting down "background" apps does not do what they think it does.) Sometimes I tether to my iPhone for Internet and sometimes use my external bluetooth Dual GPS. I've even responded to a text while flying (drone was up high and the wife texted - I HAD to respond and it seemed easier to do it on the mini than to grab the phone out of my pocket.) From what I know about iOS development (I've dabbled) and the way this stuff works, you do not need to do anything special to make your iOS device work well with your Phantom.
LOL-- that is why I turn the other stuff off using airplane mode-- I don't want the distraction-- I go flying to get away from it all:D:D:D

LOL-- that is why I turn the other stuff off using airplane mode-- I don't want the distraction-- I go flying to get away from it all:D:D:D

That's the only good reason to use airplane mode, actually. But... "Happy wife... happy life!"

Reactions: bobmyers
Thanks guys! Well, I traced it to the new iOS 9 ....seems that lots of people are having the same problem. the DJI rep on the DJi forum said they are working on a revision to be happy with iOS 9. I reverted to iOS 8.4 and all is happy. The Mini 2 doesn't skip a beat....not ONE dropout or glitch. Smooooth.

say.. how do you kill all other background apps. Ipads are appliances and won't let you take off all the Apple-supplied programs. How do I actually kill other processes?

Bob

Thanks guys! Well, I traced it to the new iOS 9 ....seems that lots of people are having the same problem. the DJI rep on the DJi forum said they are working on a revision to be happy with iOS 9. I reverted to iOS 8.4 and all is happy. The Mini 2 doesn't skip a beat....not ONE dropout or glitch. Smooooth.

say.. how do you kill all other background apps. Ipads are appliances and won't let you take off all the Apple-supplied programs. How do I actually kill other processes?

Bob
I fly on airplane mode after I download my map. That way I got nothing via the internet, blue tooth or wireless.

Is there any complaints with the ipad mini 2?

Would it be worth buying a ipad mini 4 instead of the mini 2?

My iPad 2 works fantastic.

With Black Friday on the way, I found an iPad Mini 4 - 16GB for $299, $100 off cash. Is this the way to go or iPad 2 air??

With Black Friday on the way, I found an iPad Mini 4 - 16GB for $299, $100 off cash. Is this the way to go or iPad 2 air??
Air 2 processor is still 30% faster than the Mini 4. The more horsepower, the more future proof your device is. Inspire was designed around the Air 2 and the P3P has replicated that setup in a smaller, more easily deployable package. Get the Air 2.

The ipad mini 4 has the barometer in it so with Auto Pilot its better than the ipad mini 2....
I just tried it out and I like it but when I am close to my home and my router is about 10 feet away I get a lot of problems with the video feed. I turned on the airplane mode and turned off the wifi. Why is it doing it and is there anything I can do about it?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20