iPad Mini 2 Question From A Newbie about purchasing

Reaction score
I have concluded that an iPad Mini II would be a good choice for my Phantom 3 Advanced. I've seen one with GPS and one with GPS + 4G on eBay. Which would best? As a senior, I am a little overwelmed with all the choices out there. Any help would be appreciated.

All cellular iPad Mini models have an internal GPS receiver. It does not matter whether or not the cellular service has been activated. With GPS, you'll be able to use the Follow Me feature and/or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you don't need to use those features, then a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini would be an okay option too.

The biggest benefit to using an iPad Mini with an active cellular connection is that you'll be able to download the maps into DJI GO while you're out flying. With a Wi-Fi only device (or a device with deactivated cell service), you could tether your iPad Mini to a phone to share the Internet connection or cache the maps in DJI GO before you head out to fly. And, if you don't need the maps to fly, then you don't even have to worry about this. Many people just watch the live view as they fly.

Reactions: LoneDrone
Great explanation msinger. Even though I know this already and have seen it discussed many times, yours here was the simplest yet most concise yet.
Your always a source of great info.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

I use an iPad Mini2 and it's a great tablet but I gotta say I wish I had gone a bit better because the processor gets over whelmed at times and newer iPad have MUCH brighter screens.

Hey senior, forget the mini and get the Air 2 or Pro models with the 9.7 inch screen. Tiny mini-sized screens don't work so well with older eyes and pressing the tiny Warning "x's and sundry buttons and sliders on a tiny GO screen are a big PITA. Been there.

I had to use - and still do - a stylus with the small S6 Edge screen to work the sliders as my fingers completely covers the thing and I cannot see what I am sliding too, like the white balance Kelvin slider.

I use a Mini 2 (cellular) with a Hoodman and really like it. I would not want a full-size iPad. Too big and too heavy. That's me. Can't imagine flying without the hood.

I don't have a cell account and don't feel I need it. Having the GPS function (since it's a cellular model) though is a plus, but not a deal breaker.

SB

@BCWeston iPad mini 2 is a wonderful tablet that does the job it is asked for, solid OS, stable, A7 provides good CPU power for video processing, no lag, no macro blocks, no nothing. It's perfect except in shiny sunny days, means it lacks in deed at the maximum delivered brightness (from this point of view an iPhone6S would be superior)

@GMack is right in saying iPad Pro delivers higher brightness, but tablet's huge size really unbalances the RC strapped around your neck.
That's why, my advice for you is:
1. get an iPhone 5-6 (it will be small but powerfull)
2. get the HDMI module to equip the RC
3. choose some 720p goggles with HDMI input.
(I have purchased goggles, waiting their arrival, FPV immersion will give you a completely new experience).

Not being argumentative, but I first flew with an iPhone 5s and I found it's screen much too small for photography/videography.

SB

Reactions: BCWeston
I truly appreciate this great advice. What I still don't understand is what does 4G mean? It was listed as one way you can get the iPad Mini. Signed; Technically Challenged. lol

I truly appreciate this great advice. What I still don't understand is what does 4G mean? It was listed as one way you can get the iPad Mini. Signed; Technically Challenged. lol

It means that you can pay for cell service so you can be connected to the Internet. iPads that aren't 4G do not have a GPS in them. You don't need cell service for the GPS to operate.

I bought a 4G iPad so i could have GPS and I don't pay for cell service. I don't need it. I just download my maps while on wifi before I head out the door.

SB

Reactions: BCWeston
Personally, I wouldn't buy an iPad Mini 2 at this point. First, it's technically obsolete (2013), secondly fully expect it to be discontinued this month when Apple releases their new tablets. It even remains to be seen if the iPad 4 will survive the cut - at minimum if kept it'll be the low point cost of entry. Since the Mini 3 is nothing but a Mini 2 with Touch ID that should be off the table also. If you don't have to buy it instantly with the release of the new tablets very soon I'd hold off personally. Rumor has it there will be a 7.9" Pro with edge to edge screen as part of this release.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl