Ipad Mini 2 or Ipad Mini 4

Reaction score
What would be the advantages of getting an Ipad Mini 4 over the 2. The price would be about double to go with the newer 4.
Both are 16gb Wireless only.

It has a faster processor and an anti-reflective coating on the screen that'll be helpful for times when it's sunny outside.

I was planning to buy the 4 when it was only $150? more than the mini2 just for the reflective coating--to me it was worth $150 or so. But then I saw a iPad Mini 2 on sale last week for less than $200 and I just couldn't justify the extra money for the 4. The reflective coating makes a difference--but I just couldn't justify an extra $250 for it..

My other concern (so I may regret the purchased down the road) is the faster processor on the iPad 4. With updates and upgrades I may find the mini 2 too slow in a year or two...

If you plan to use with a Phantom (I assume you are) do not get the wifi only, you want the cellular version as it has built in GPS. The wifi version has no GPS.
Some things like 'follow me' mode require a device with GPS. Get the 4 over the 2 if you can swing it... future proof your purchase.

For me, the Mini 2 would overheat and lag or shutdown when the weather turned warm at the start of summer back in June. I found it just too under powered for use in hot climates, but when it was cooler outside the Mini 2 worked well. Even so, it turned into an instant mirror when I walked outside and I didn't want to always carry around and set up a sunshade. I'd opt for the anti-glare screen every time just for that reason. The added power of the 4 should also mean less or maybe even no heat related issues.

Thanks for all your replies but I ended up ordering a Nvidia Shield k1 from B&H this morning.
Thats a great choice for sure. I was looking to get a Shield just to try the third party Phantom apps that were Android only, but the Shield was so hard to find after that giant recall. It's good to see they are now available again. I may just get one as well. Cheers!

I use iPad mini 2 cellular and see no functional issues. Hope iPad 4 will perform better.

I get too much of reflections in day light though I have a sun shade. Thinking of buying a non reflecting film for my mini.

Thanks for all your replies but I ended up ordering a Nvidia Shield k1 from B&H this morning.

That's where I had to get mine from. It should arrive tomorrow. The only thing I should have to do is keep my mobile phone with me for gps if flying away from my house. And pretty much everyone does that anyway.

Btw, I also have a new mini 2 that I have flown with now 2 times. I only bought it to use on app's not developed for android. For me it feels like a big difference from android. I still have yet been able to dial in the video settings. It has been either too bright, too dark, and really just not enough uses to give any real feedback on the mini 2. I can say there has been no reception issues with video or signal and those two are the most important points regardless of what tablet you use.

Well my 2 boys had gotten me an Ipad 2 Mini for Christmas so I cancelled the order for the Nvidia Shield. The boys were pissed so I paid them for the Ipad and told them to get me something else, maybe some ND filters.

What would be the advantages of getting an Ipad Mini 4 over the 2. The price would be about double to go with the newer 4.
Both are 16gb Wireless only.
I have the mini 2 and I use the hood that DJI makes that mounts to the factory device holder. IMO it works great.

Am I the only one that noticed that the iPad mini 4 has a better screen resolution ? is it not noticeable ? I have a iPad air 2 and a iPad pro. I just compared both on my inspire pro and phantom pro.... the iPad pro was bigger which was nicer but everything is bigger its not clearer like i anticipated...

Im reading through the specs and notice the iPad mini 4 has a better resolution? anyone comment on whether thats a noticeable difference... i could see the advantage in fine tuning the inspire pro with a better resolution. I do notice that my iPad pro flickers much less then my iPad air 2.. could be because of processor or maybe its in my head.. not totally sure.

I'm tempted to buy a iPad mini 4, i think i would prefer better resolution vs bigger screen...
as for the anti reflective coating.... can't say i can tell a difference from previous models. I've had just about every one.

Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 9.18.08 PM.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik