IPad Mini 2 magnetic cover or not?

Reaction score
Has anyone used this cover while storing the mini in their P3 cases (specifically the DJI hardshell backpack). If you have, have you noticed any compass issues from the iPad and cover being stored so near the UAV. The cover is held on and closed by magnets.
The cover is perfect for storage but I don't want to take a chance screwing up the compass every time it is in the case.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447967017.814470.jpg

I would NOT use a cover that has magnets on the face that touches the iPad screen. I have been using one of these for about a year and it ruined my iPad screen. The influence of the magnets touching the screen (while the cover was closed) made permanent lines crisscrossing on my iPad very visible when you turn it on, especially noticeable when it's displaying a light background.

Have always used the cover and have had no problems with the compass or the screen. The only lines I have seen on the screen BTW are due to the folds of the cover and dirt getting under there.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Did the geniuses at the Genius Bar say anything about it, I would certainly get it checked out as if an Apple Smart Cover damaged an Apple display that is not good.

I bought the cover at the Apple store, suppose I could have them take a look.
Maybe I should return it to DJI? :)

Its really a pointless cover to start with. The real delicate spot on most tablets is the corners... totally unprotected. A cheap clear plastic wrap-around cover for the back and Zagg Glass over the face does more for protection than any other cover on the market. The glass is a little expensive, but covered for like. And the corners are protected very well for $9!

Its really a pointless cover to start with. The real delicate spot on most tablets is the corners... totally unprotected. A cheap clear plastic wrap-around cover for the back and Zagg Glass over the face does more for protection than any other cover on the market. The glass is a little expensive, but covered for like. And the corners are protected very well for $9!

Actually it is a perfect cover for the purpose I am using it for. The iPad is dedicated for Phantom use only and will sit in the case when not in use. It completely protects the screen from scratches and bumps in the case and strips off in less than a second when I want To mount it on the controller. My sole concern is whether the magnets pose a threat to the compass on the P3.

So what happens when you drop it? Accidents happen. A little protection can save a pretty big repair bill. AND the entire tablet is protected 100% of the time! To each his own I guess. I wouldn't doubt that the magnets have an impact on compass functions. It more of a .. how much.. issue. And can YOU tell when a variation is significant enough to require a calibration even if the app doesn't tell you?

I use one of these covers. Been using it on my iPad mini and never had any issues with my p3p. I leave the cover in my phantom case when I'm not playing with the p3

I use one of these covers. Been using it on my iPad mini and never had any issues with my p3p. I leave the cover in my phantom case when I'm not playing with the p3
Thank you. This is exactly the first hand information I was looking for.

I also keep mine with my p3p and have had no problems.
I have 2 iPad minis, one with this type of cover, and one with a wrap around gorilla type cover. The heavy duty gorilla cover is so hard to remove that I never fly with it, always use the folding one.
It does leave dust lines on the screen though

Answering OP & staying on topic!!...

No, I have not experienced issues.

We can always go off topic & populate the thread with complete off topic guff & make it really difficult for others to follow.. but I'll leave that for others to do.

I have same cover. But take mine off. Doesn't fit well in holder to me
It may be my modification. I flew with my Androids for months before I got the Air 2. It opens a good 1/4" more now. You could trim the case at the top and bottom where it sits in the cradle.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj