iPad mini 2 for P4

Reaction score
hello.

I've just purchased my first DJI product today as a birthday present to myself.
Bought a refurb P4. Should get it in a week or so.

I've had other quads and planes but this is my first real AP quality purchase.

I'm researching screens for the controller.
I have my phone (iPhone 7) and my older iPad Air, but those are too small and too big respectively.

My question is would an older iPad min 2 work well for the P4 display screen ?
Can likely find a second hand one reasonably cheap. If it will work ok.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Jason.

I had issues with an IPad Mini 2.
The screen would frequently break up into green blocks.

Others have had success - but I just bought a second hand Mini 4 and its perfect.
(Iphone and IPad worked perfectly also - just Mini 2's and older Ipads didnt for me)

Try get 32gigs at least - if you like to keep cached videos stored - you dont get to keep many on a 16G device.

Thanks for the info.

iPad mini 3 16gb here is too much. At least for me right now.
Around $550 for a 16gb one. Mini 4 would be even higher.

Guess I'll use the phone until I can recover from the purchase of the P4.

Jason.

When you say the iPad Air is too big, do you mean bigger than you would like to use, or do you think it's too big to fit the controller? I use both an iPad Air and a mini 2...The Air just fits in the controller, and is my favourite. I use the mini 2 sometimes because it's the cellular version, which enables me to use the Follow Me function, and also to reset the home point if I move away from my original launch point.

hello.

I've just purchased my first DJI product today as a birthday present to myself.
Bought a refurb P4. Should get it in a week or so.

I've had other quads and planes but this is my first real AP quality purchase.

I'm researching screens for the controller.
I have my phone (iPhone 7) and my older iPad Air, but those are too small and too big respectively.

My question is would an older iPad min 2 work well for the P4 display screen ?
Can likely find a second hand one reasonably cheap. If it will work ok.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Jason.

Hi!
There's no other difference between iPad mini 2 and 3 except the fingerprint sensor. (Touch ID) - so, from flight aspect you get nothing by replacing 2 with 3. If You wanna more performance, go for 4 (but, I think, the video gliches mentioned have nothing to do with lack of processing power)
The performance is near the same (0,1GHz gap)as iPad Air (v1) Lower clockrate for mini, presumably, due the thermal/cooling aspects or power requirements and smaller battery)

Reactions: zgembit
I don't know what the cause is - but definitely I cannot use an IPad mini 2 - it might be that the IPad 4 is better at continuing on of there is any glitch in the video feed - maybe people using higher power FCC mode have less interference and don't have this issue.

All I know is the IPad 4 is super smooth, good size and no glitches - and I only paid 250 Euros for it.

Plus battery life of the tablet is fantastic.

It's good to know the iPad Air fits the controller.
Ill give it a try and see, but from a personal point, I think it's too big.

I'll save for the iPad mini.

Jason.

I use ipad mini 2 on my p3s and p4 without issue

I use mini4 and works smoothly, brighter screen than previous models, and good size for the RC but bigger ipad can be cool as well.

It is not cheap, right, but you wont regret waiting until you get money to buy it.

Also ask yourself with or without onboard GPS chip, aka with or without cellular. If you buy the cheapest one = without cellular, you won't be able to set your own home point in GO4 app (where you stand with your iPad), vs aircraft one. Not a big deal until you don't have specific need to set aicraft home point where you stand rather where P4 is physically.

Note if you got bad real time video displayed can be related to lack of device performance.

Happy flying!

It's good to know the iPad Air fits the controller.
Ill give it a try and see, but from a personal point, I think it's too big.

I'll save for the iPad mini.

Jason.

It fits, but, if You want to use some kind of cover/case, You'll need an extender - it fits just barelly (I have/use the iPad pro 9,7" - it's a small bit thinner than Air/the current iPad, and same size as Air 2).

Also ask yourself with or without onboard GPS chip, aka with or without cellular.

If you pair the IPad to your IPhone - the Non GPS Enabled IPad will actually use the GPS chip on the IPhone as well as the data connection for downloading map data.

So if the Cellular IPad is much more expensive - you can do fine with the Wifi only model - not that you really need gps on the tablet anyway unless you are flying from a moving platform like a boat or something..

Reactions: RémyHeli
If you pair the IPad to your IPhone - the Non GPS Enabled IPad will actually use the GPS chip on the IPhone as well as the data connection for downloading map data.

So if the Cellular IPad is much more expensive - you can do fine with the Wifi only model - not that you really need gps on the tablet anyway unless you are flying from a moving platform like a boat or something..

That's great news.

Thanks.

Jason.

Hi Ozz, I think you have just answered one of my biggest problems on what I should get, I have a iPad Mini 3 WiFi only so what you are saying that should be okay to use. So when you say "if you pair the IPad to your IPhone" are you referring to use the PERSONAL HOTSPOT setting on the phone?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl