iPad help

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Looking to buy a iPad mini 2 to use solely as a screen to my p3a, now i know the wifi version works as my sons got one and I've used it.

But what benefits do the cellular version bring you? Is it just gps to load the maps and obviously internet on the go?

I'm based in the uk and tbh don't really want to pay for a payg rolling contract so what do ppl in the uk use?

And does it need a sim to just the gps?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The only benefits are that you can use the Follow Me feature and reset the home point to your current location after takeoff. GPS on your mobile device is not needed in order to load the maps.

It's pathetic that all iPads are not equipped with GPS unlike android tablets.

iPad 2 mini wifi may be good but I would suggest to go for cellular. It gets you a peace of mind. Also check the price difference between it and iPad 4 mini. Newer ones are better suited as they have faster processors.

Finally it's your choice.

I would suggest to go for cellular. It gets you a peace of mind.
How does it give you peace of mind?

In my mind, it allows you to access a few additional features that most people do not use/need.

I like the follow me feature I've used it with my phone, if you buy the cellular version of the iPad does it need a sim to activate the gps or is it just on? Really unsure

I use the same setup you are proposing (iPad mini 2 non-cellular). I have no issues and I don't feel as I'm missing out on anything, I have not had a desire to use the "follow me" feature. I am happy with this config.

A piece of advice I will give you is; You will have no cellular connection to update the Google map view when your flying in a location where you've never been before. For this reason, if you're going to fly in a new location be sure to load the DJI-Go app at home while connected to your wireless network, turn "map caching" on and navigate on the map to the area where you will be flying. Once you do that the map view will be available when you are flying.

The only drawback I have encountered with my iPad mini 2 (and I suspect this will be same with all tablets but I don't know for sure as I haven't used others) is on hot sunny days, make certain you stand in the shade. On hot days the iPad will quickly overheat. The display starts to tear, flicker, stall and eventually the iPad will go blank and display a message indicating it needs to cool down. All the controls still work for the Phantom, it just leaves you flying without the benefit of the telemetry displayed on the iPad.

One more advantage for a newer Ipad mini... if you decide to use AutoPilot then it will take advantage of the built in barometer for better accuracy while flying...

Hi everyone

Looking to buy a iPad mini 2 to use solely as a screen to my p3a, now i know the wifi version works as my sons got one and I've used it.

But what benefits do the cellular version bring you? Is it just gps to load the maps and obviously internet on the go?

I'm based in the uk and tbh don't really want to pay for a payg rolling contract so what do ppl in the uk use?

And does it need a sim to just the gps?

Cheers

Aside from what the others have noted, read this one post for more information about using a wifi only iPad versus an cellular enabled iPad.
It's a long single post, but is contains some good info to consider.

Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

Reactions: JoBe
I use my iPhone as a wifi hotspot for my iPad to load maps and set the home point in DJI GO. Never a problem for me and I'm using autopilot. Use the cellular capability of your phone.

I am an Autopilot person, but when I first purchased my ipad air2 wifi only, without GPS, it put my home position on top of a church 250 ft. away from where I really was. I never launched that day, went home to purchase a Dual Electronics XGPS160 mobile GPS device with lots of extra features. It uses Bluetooth and works perfect every time. I used the Dual the other day to verify the elevation of a couple of hills and it matched exactly the elevation to the FOOT that google earth said.

Aside from what the others have noted, read this one post for more information about using a wifi only iPad versus an cellular enabled iPad.
It's a long single post, but is contains some good info to consider.

Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

Thanks for the link very good guide just what I needed thanks

One question how much data does the phantom need without using the streaming feature?

Would 500mb be enough?

I have the iPad Mini 3, WiFi only. Never had an issue as I cache maps. Just curious if anybody bothers to tether their iPad to an iPhone.

I haven't tried follow me yet, but thought I'd mount my iPhone to the TX to solve that issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20