iPad Ground Station

Found this response to a waypoint capability question on Facebook......watch this space

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 476
"We will have an update on our firmware within this month" doesn't quite equal "We will have a firmware update within this month". Bearing in mind they have overrun on the P2 firmware date they publicly promised on Facebook would be here last week I wouldn't get too excited yet. At least that way if they do suddenly let us have it this month we'll only be pleasantly surprised. :)

Still, I'm away for 2 weeks at the beginning of April and won't be taking the Vision with me, so it will be interesting to sit back and see all the user experiences should the actually get the firmware and app update to us by 31st March...

Update on DJI facebook! They say by the end of next week we should have the update! maybe.. :roll:

iDrone said:
Ground Station for Phantom 2 Vision is in the final approval stages and is due to be released shortly. As there remains some confusion regarding Bluetooth, Vision does not support Bluetooth therefore an additional cable will be required to establish the link for Waypoint programming & Control.

In compliance with CE & UL certifications, in UK & Europe a 220vac utility extension will be required while in US & Canada the 120vac equivalent will suffice. Distance between waypoints is only limited by cable gauge & number of 3 or 4-way cube taps added. Here's a demo of aircraft utilizing this advanced technology in principal, Vision's implementation will be far more sophisticated:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19LumXm4z4s[/youtube]

iDrone :idea:

The guy in the sunglasses looks just like Robert Duvall.

Finally, the left-hand and right-hand have "shaken" at DJI and their Facebook is now giving correct information about Ground Station, waypoints and Vision. In response to a question from a customer with a Vision after DJI announced the new Ground Station app has been submitted to Apple for approval they state the following:

DJIGlobal said:
The two waypoint systems are effectively identical, except that Ground Station is an addon for the Phantom 2 that will require the addition of a Bluetooth downlink and an iPad app, while the Phantom 2 Vision will be able to fly waypoints natively through the Vision app.

Hooray! Sanity and accuracy returns. The P2 guys will need to spend an extra £150 +/- from what I've seen of prices to get the Datalink module and no android support at the moment, so iPad's only for them for now...

Pull_Up said:
Finally, the left-hand and right-hand have "shaken" at DJI and their Facebook is now giving correct information about Ground Station, waypoints and Vision. In response to a question from a customer with a Vision after DJI announced the new Ground Station app has been submitted to Apple for approval they state the following:

DJIGlobal said:
The two waypoint systems are effectively identical, except that Ground Station is an addon for the Phantom 2 that will require the addition of a Bluetooth downlink and an iPad app, while the Phantom 2 Vision will be able to fly waypoints natively through the Vision app.

Hooray! Sanity and accuracy returns. The P2 guys will need to spend an extra £150 +/- from what I've seen of prices to get the Datalink module and no android support at the moment, so iPad's only for them for now...

About freakin' time... Am I getting ahead of myself, or do these guys finally seem to be getting their "support act" together ??? :)

-slinger

Man reading this thread for the first time. What confusion. i'll tell you what the problem is and the solution. Dji made the mistake of naming the models phantom 2 and phantom 2 vision. Then phantom fc40. They should have stuck with numbers or names and not mixed them. Just like apple and the ipad ipad2 then ipad2 retina.

What is the conclusion? Can the phantom vision 2 now use the ground station functions (waypoint) without extra hardware like the datalink?

What is needed just the new firmware?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cool, any additional info would be great, so will the ground station / iPad/ iPhone app talk to the vision 2 over the wifi link to set the waypoints?

Or do you need extra hardware like the btu or data link?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forget Ground Station. It doesn't work with Vision. Ignore it, don't buy anything, don't get an iPad...

We will get "waypoint flying" similar to what non-Vision owners can achieve by buying a bluetooth datalink and fitting it, and an iPad. We WON'T get all the bells and whistles on the Ground Station app for iPad. But we will get autonomous flying between map-selected waypoints via our app and existing setups for free in a couple of weeks. If you run the Vision app on Android, you'll get waypoints same as the iOS guys. If you're a P2 person who has android gear at home but no iPad then you'll need to buy one of those as well as the datalink to do ground station on your non-Vision DJI aircraft.

Executive Summary: All the stuff around Ground Station is irrelevant to us Vision owners. We'll get our waypoint flying through the gear we've already go.

Mori55 said:
Will this work on a iPad mini that's wifi only , if you preload a map of your area ?

Does the "Find My Phantom" part of the app currently work on your iPad mini wifi only if you preload? If the answer is yes then I suspect (but no one knows because the app update has not been released yet) that it will.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1