iPad Ground Station

I thought I read it somewhere maybe it wasn't on Facebook, but there is an imminent P2V update providing ground station capabilities. So don't bang you head so hard pull_up!!!!

Yes but surely as you can install the app on an iPad as well as an iphone, if the update is going to come through the app then surely you also install update on the app on the iPad as well?. :?

Perhaps we're at cross purposes...

DJI's standalone Ground Station kit requires additional hardware and runs only on an iPad. It's designed for aircraft in the range other than the Vision. Due to some confusion people with Visions thought that they were getting Ground Station in a couple of weeks (it was announced that it would soon be available for P2 in addition to existing aircraft in the range) and were talking about snapping up the required Blue Tooth Units and getting iPads in order to get the Ground Station on their Visions, as P2 owners will need to do to access the feature.

If you have seen a verifiable source saying we will be getting Vision ground station-like capabilities via app and firmware update in two weeks please link, as that will be excellent and breaking news... otherwise it's just for the P2. Not that DJI might not release the Vision version at the same time, but if so they've been quiet about it for some reason.

And yes, if and when we get an update then it will be to the android and iOS versions of the app - so available on whatever flavour of device you prefer to stick on your transmitter.

Yes we clearly are as I am on about using an ipad as it has a bigger screen once they release an app update for ground station like capabilities. I def read it somewhere about new update come coinciding with the phantom ground station update. I though I saw it on Facebook but clearly not. I just cannot find it I may have seen it reading through Facebook comments. To be honest I have spent pretty much every spare minute going onto numerous sites just can't remember where.

I also read in the same article that the vision will potentially need an additional bluetooth device to send waypoints from your idevice.

<sigh> No that's definitely the P2. I feel like I've been through all this before... Vision doesn't have a CAN BUS port, it can't accept the BlueTooth Unit. It doesn't need the BlueTooth Unit because it already has a downlink via the camera and app.

Rinse, repeat, bang head on desk... :)

Ok in which case they are definitely talking about the vision when they shouldn't be. That is a significant mistake as there is a whole Facebook chat about it.

Right, a direct quote from Facebook:

DJI Global: Detlef, the Phantom 2 Vision can work with the Ground Station app if you purchase an additional Bluetooth datalink. The Vision's integrated waypoints system will be available soon after the launch of Ground Station.

The latter part of their quote is the good news, Vision integrated waypoints coming soon. I still think their first part isn't right - that if you want to use the iPad Ground Station system (standalone) you need a BTU. I was told that there isn't the capability to add it to the Vision - that was by a tier one DJI dealer.

If I've been told incorrectly then I apologise. If you want to use the standalone DJI Ground Station software for Ipad for autonomous flying only, not for standard Vision app FPV and camera control, etc then if what they say is correct you can buy the BTU and run an iPad for waypoints, then your iPhone or android at the same time for camera and FPV. There must be a CAN BUS port somewhere on the Vision that I haven't seen. This video shows you how to install the module the DJI Facebook says you can buy. If anyone can tell me where the port is on the Vision to plug it in I'd be grateful...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGNKyQhLJxE[/youtube]

Ok it will be interesting how this all works out, with no additional hard ware that's great it will cut down on weight, but I did read somewhere that a btu was needed and they possibly hoping to utilise the micro USB port reconfigured through software update. Don't shoot the messenger I just wish I could remember where I read the article. :shock:

Not shooting anyone except DJI for giving mixed messages. If it turns out the Vision doesn't have the required ports and, more to the point, doesn't need the external GS stuff because we're getting the app, there may be quite a few Vision owners who have parted with £120+ to get a Datalink they will not be able to use because of a comment on a Facebook post...

Yes as I very nearly did, I'm assuming the P2V is so new there are a lot of mixed messages going on with regards what it can do, what upgrades we can expect etc. reading too many forums etc sets confusion everywhere. Talking of confusion got your gimbal yet?

Ground Station for Phantom 2 Vision is in the final approval stages and is due to be released shortly. As there remains some confusion regarding Bluetooth, Vision does not support Bluetooth therefore an additional cable will be required to establish the link for Waypoint programming & Control.

In compliance with CE & UL certifications, in UK & Europe a 220vac utility extension will be required while in US & Canada the 120vac equivalent will suffice. Distance between waypoints is only limited by cable gauge & number of 3 or 4-way cube taps added. Here's a demo of aircraft utilizing this advanced technology in principal, Vision's implementation will be far more sophisticated:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19LumXm4z4s[/youtube]

iDrone :idea:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers