Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

iPad Ground Station

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by smatty2023, Mar 2, 2014.

1. smatty2023

Is the ground station hardware compatible with the P2V?.

2. Pull_Up

No. Wait for the P2V to get the previously announced firmware and app upgrade in order to get ground station-like capabilities. Although it's been due since end of January...

3. smatty2023

Ah ok I see on Facebook they have announced it is tried and tested with a release in two weeks time. So will it be extra hardware or are they going to tweak existing, do you know?.

4. Pull_Up

Announcement was for the P2 version. Different main board, different kettle of fish. We already have a 2 way data link built into ours...

5. smatty2023

Ah right ok I'll sit tight for for the updates than. Thanks

6. Pull_Up

No probs, I'm just concerned that someone in DJI PR has slipped up and in a question response on FB said "P2 and Vision..." - if people take that as gospel there'll be loads of very pee'd off people buying Bluetooth Units and finding no CAN bus on their Vision to put it into, with a free update coming to give the functionality anyway. I've asked a DJI Support Rep to get confirmation from China about this.

The Vision will have the advantage of being able to support iDevices and Android, too - standard Ground Station is only available on iPad if you want to run it on a portable device...

7. smatty2023

Ok so how will it work with the vision, are we going to be able to set waypoints?. I'm assuming if it's through the app then we can also use the ipad the same as the work station.

8. Pull_Up

We don't know exactly. Ask we have to go on is the screenshot of a phone app that accompanied the press release.

9. smatty2023

Ok no probs I'll sit tight and wait for the release, can't be any longer than waiting for my rotorpixel shipment notification. :shock:

10. Pull_Up

Ha! Remember the waiver? "I understand good things come to those that wait"? I remember agreeing to that one for Rotorpixel, not so sure I agreed to anything similar for DJI... ;)

11. iDrone

Vision is DJI's first quad w/camera and bidirectional data & control link over IP as well as a dedicated control link over radio. The radio gives us 1:1 real time control & response. The IP link has variable latency which can be as good as a few tenths of a second to several seconds depending upon QOS and the number of requests to resend lost packets. When programming waypoints on your iDevice before takeoff (or changing & updating them during flight) latency isn't an issue.

Whether or not we'll be permitted to interrupt GS to "takeover" flight control by radio is as yet unconfirmed, although my guess would be this will be implemented to facilitate pilot control for reasons of safety & landing control.

Have a look here: http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8003&p=76629#p76629

iDrone

12. smatty2023

That's great iDrone thanks I'll take a look. So am I right in thinking this isn't available yet for P2V

13. Pull_Up

<bangs head against desk>

14. smatty2023

Why am I being a bit slow?

15. Pull_Up

No, it was just me having a moment. Nothing's available for the Vision until we get a firmware and app update. As usual when firmware releases happen this place will go nuts so you'll find out soon enough! :)

16. smatty2023

Lol yes very true the rotorpixel thread is testament to that.

17. pault

Yesterday DJI tweeted that the GS was still undergoing compliance testing and was due very soon. Again it just mentioned the P2 and also used a picture of a P2. No mention of the Vision. Are we sure it is being released for both platforms ?

18. Pull_Up

<bangs head against desk again>

I've been trying to tell people it is nothing to do with the vision. If and when we get it it will be via our app and a firmware upgrade as per the DJI initial release.

19. iDrone

Phantom 2 Vision will capture Adobe DNG RAW and provide Ground Station capabilities!

December 04 2013

We are very excited to announce that with a firmware update, the Phantom 2 Vision will be able to capture and store pictures in Adobe DNG RAW format in-camera. The update will be released in late December.

Additionally, a separate firmware and mobile phone App update will be released providing the Phantom 2 Vision with Ground Station capabilities including waypoint editing and autonomous waypoint navigation. The update will be released around the end of December or early January.

http://www.dji.com/info/news/phanto...g-raw-and-provide-ground-station-capabilities

(Hopefully to be released in the next 7-14 days)
    iDrone :ugeek:

Attached Files:

20. pault

So, two months late - that is even worse than Rotorpixel !