iPad Ground Station Headings

Reaction score
What is the relevance of the headings using the Ground Station? My initial impression was, it would determine the direction the copter was facing when it went from waypoint to waypoint. Or, does it just determine which way it faces while it is at the waypoint if there is a hover time selected (go to waypoint and hover for X seconds pointed at X heading)?

Otherwise, I don't see the impact of using a heading value. Is there a way to control the direction while going to waypoint to waypoint, otherwise it points (nearly) in the direction of flight.

Today, I tried setting up a flight path on a N-S road - made 4 round trips.
1st flight I set to go at 180 degrees (S) then 0 (N) on the way back
2nd flight was 195 (S + 15 degree magnetic declination correction) then 15 (N + 15 degrees) on the way back
3rd flight was adaptive
4th flight was back turn (which, I think it supposed to read bank turn)

Results ... none had the copter facing straight north or straight south - all were looking a bit to the right. In other words, flying south, I had 1/3 of the field of view on the left of the road, 2/3 of the field of view on the right. On the way back, the same. And, this was the same result with all 4 of these flights.

Is it possible if I am flying S (N, W, E, etc) to have the copter pointed in the same direction? Instead of a few degrees off?

Hope this makes sense. I just don't know if this is adjustable - and, I don't know if/how the headings even relate or if they have any relevancy to this.

Thanks!!

Unfortunately, the heading is only for when the Phantom reaches its waypoint. It doesn't fly in the heading you entered. I think a firmware update could give us what we want, but maybe I'm being too simplistic. For now, I fly adaptive. I don't see any real value in the heading.

What do you mean for when it only reaches it WP? What is the actual behavior?

The heading would be very useful if the nose / camera would face the direction you tell it whilst flying between WP.

In GS, the Phantom will always fly in the forward direction, ie. you cannot strafe. If you program orientation, it will point in the direction that you had entered, but it will not fly to the next waypoint using the heading that you had programmed.

Diesel31 said:
In GS, the Phantom will always fly in the forward direction, ie. you cannot strafe. If you program orientation, it will point in the direction that you had entered, but it will not fly to the next waypoint using the heading that you had programmed.

I hope they change that soon, what I want to do it fly around a lighthouse and the the front (camera end) aimed at the center. Now I have to stop for a few seconds aim, shoot and continue on...........

So can anyone confirm that the Phantom with point the camera in the Heading direction while in a hover at a waypoint?

Also is it possible to:
(1) have manual control over the heading of the Phantom while in autonomous flight?
(2) have manual control over the heading of the Phantom while hovering at a waypoint?
(3) have manual control over the tilt of the camera while in autonomous flight?
(4) have manual control over the tilt of the camera while hovering at a waypoint?

Thanks for your help.

The quick answer to your list of 4 questions is: you will have manual tilt and no other control.

As for pointing the camera in the heading direction while hovering... sorry, haven't tried that yet but I expect it will.

As for manual control, I expected only tilt control. So I hope the heading direction works while in a hover at a way point.

I cannot get headings to "stick" while the Phantom 2 is on the way to a particular waypoint either. Using PC Ground Station, any heading I plug into the flight plan only takes effect when it's AT the waypoint. Then - like Diesel said - it seems to point nose-first to the next place it goes. The only thing I CAN do with any accuracy is use Course Lock (aside from improving my long distance/BVR flying skills). Also, you could get some sort of FPV setup like the Lightbridge. Using FPV, you could accomplish this objective easier from up to and including 1 mile line-of-sight.

If I were assuming, I would say the waypoint heading function of PC Ground Station (wherein the nose/camera is pointed at X degrees relative to North, regardless of flight heading) seems to be reserved for more powerful controller units like the A2. For us with the Phantom 2's (unmodified), it's viewable (and seemingly meaningful) as a tease only. There is a specifically marketed "POI" function wherein you can turn around a focus point. If I'm wrong on this - and someone has additional/corrected info - please let me know. I wake up every day hoping I'm wrong....but to date No Joy.

Don't crash...

Opwan said:
You can set the amount of time it hovers at each waypoint, you can also give it a heading to point WHILE AT HOVER. You can control the tilt of the camera but not much else. Would be nice if we could pause the mission, take over for awhile, then hit go again to contine the mission! Hint Hint....DJI

You already can. There is a pause option in both iPad and PC. You can pause do your thing and continue back again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20