iPad for Phantom 3 Pro?

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to the forum, and hoped someone could help. I just ordered my drone, and want to use an iPad on it. Which model will work? I really want a modest priced one, that works very well.
Thank you all,
Terry

I do not think any ipads can be described as modest priced,however. You will possibly be best with an ipad mini.
The ipad mini 2 non cellular will work, this is about the lowest cost option, and the 7.9 inch screen is a good size,the larger ipads are very cumbersome and heavy if attached somehow to your controller.
You do not really need a cellular version, you can cache maps whilst in a wifi zone,some advanced functions require a gps chip, and the non cellular versions do not have this , if you eventually get to the point of needing the advanced features, you can tether a phone to your device.
The ipad mini 3 offrs little improvement over the 2, the ipad mini 4 is more powerful, I have used both the 2 and the 4 and an android(Nexus 7 2nd gen) and the ipad mini 4 is the best.

I just ordered my drone, and want to use an iPad on it. Which model will work? I really want a modest priced one, that works very well.

Have to agree that there aren't any modestly priced iPads! :p

Beyond that: I use an iPad Air (original model) which is light enough to feel mostly balanced and JUST barely fits in the clamp of my P3P.

I also have the non-cell version: I'll either mobile hotspot from my iPhone or pre-cache the maps where I intend to fly.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much. iPad mini it is.
Regards,
Terry

I found a really nice iPad Mini 1st generation 64 GB wifi plus cellular 7.9 in. That's not on your list. Should I not get it?
Thank you,
Terry

It's too slow to run DJI GO. You'll need at least an iPad Mini 2.

Thank you so much for your help. Any particular specs I should look for on the iPad Mini? I only want to do this once. I assume it will fit on the phone holder on the 3 Pro.
Regards,
Terry

Any particular specs I should look for on the iPad Mini?
You'll only need to decide which size to buy and if you want a Wi-Fi only or cellular device. 16GB is an okay size if you are only going to use it for flying and will not be caching a copy of the video on the iPad Mini. Wi-Fi only Apple devices do not have GPS. Without GPS, the only thing you won't be able to do is use the Follow Me feature and manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off.

I assume it will fit on the phone holder on the 3 Pro.
Yes.

What is the ideal iPad? With a phone and more than 16GB? I do want GPS so not to loose any features. My son said to get the Mini 3. He is gifted with a drone and computers. Your help is extremely valuable. I just want to buy the right iPad one time.
Regards,
Terry

What is the ideal iPad?
There is no ideal iPad for everyone.

With a phone and more than 16GB?
16GB will be plenty if you'll only be using it to fly and you will not be caching a copy of the video on the iPad. The cellular version has GPS, but you'll only need GPS if you want to use Follow Me or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you don't plan to use either of those features, then a Wi-Fi only iPad will be just fine.

My son said to get the Mini 3.
An iPad Mini 2 or iPad Mini 4 will be best price-wise. The iPad Mini 3 is nearly the same as an iPad Mini 2 -- minus the added fingerprint reader.

Will I need to get phone service in order to have GPS? I don't want to lose any features on my drone. I found a Mini 1st generation with 64 GB, Wifi, and cell. Is this too old? It's in mint condition and cost less that $200.
Thanks again.
Terry

Will I need to get phone service in order to have GPS?
No. It will cost more to buy a cellular version without activating the cell service though.

No. It will cost more to buy a cellular version without activating the cell service though.
I'm sorry, I meant iPad mini 3 with same specs. I thought I needed a phone in order to have GPS. I don't want to lose that.

I thought I needed a phone in order to have GPS.
Do you mean fly with a phone? Sure, you could do that. The cellular version of iPad Minis also have a GPS receiver.

As I noted above, you only need to use a mobile device with a GPS receiver if you want to use Follow Me or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. The Phantom has its own internal GPS receiver that it uses for all other GPS-related functions.

Thank you all. I now have the information to make a decision. You guys are great! Happy New Year.
Terry

Well, I purchased the iPad 4 Mini with 32GB and Cellular unlocked. I hope this works well.

Regards,

Terry

Reactions: leemoore01
Good choice :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav