IPAD BT Ground station No fly Zones

Reaction score
Has anybody challenged DJI about the No Fly zones built into their Waypoint software? For instance they have set an arbitrary 5 mile exclusion radius of "major" airports. This does not align with the UK Air Navigation order which allows us to fly in class G airspace (and inside other zones if less than 7k), some airports have 2.5 mile Air Traffic Zones but DJI have set a 5 mile exclusion (for instance Southend - EGMC).

It looks like DJI are trying to show the aviation authorities they are being responsible but on the other hand they haven't actually bothered to implement a solution that correctly aligns with policy. The manufacturer should not enforce policy if they don't do it correctly.

Is this an optional or mandatory switch in the software? If its mandatory then ground station will be going back to the supplier as I fly outside of Southend's ATZ but within 5 miles of the field..

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-gs

blackd1964 said:
Has anybody challenged DJI about the No Fly zones built into their Waypoint software? For instance they have set an arbitrary 5 mile exclusion radius of "major" airports. This does not align with the UK Air Navigation order which allows us to fly in class G airspace (and inside other zones if less than 7k), some airports have 2.5 mile Air Traffic Zones but DJI have set a 5 mile exclusion (for instance Southend - EGMC).

It looks like DJI are trying to show the aviation authorities they are being responsible but on the other hand they haven't actually bothered to implement a solution that correctly aligns with policy. The manufacturer should not enforce policy if they don't do it correctly.

Is this an optional or mandatory switch in the software? If its mandatory then ground station will be going back to the supplier as I fly outside of Southend's ATZ but within 5 miles of the field..

I discovered today that half of Christchurch is within 8km of the Intl airport here. So is my house (7km away) so now I wont be able to test fly the waypoint function at home. What a pain in the ***. Hey, I understand the safety aspect of it but 7km away?

Have you looked at http://www.skydemonlight.com/ ? You are in the Bournemouth CTR SFC - 2000 feet, however there are no rules restricting you flying if you are under 7k, you don't need to talk to ATC but it may be sensible to do so and as long as you don't compromise safety like fly under the Bournemouth approach

We need to get DJI to explain themselves, its a great idea if it aligned to the specific local policy (RPA weight, specific airspace ) and was optional (Maybe you can switch it off, perhaps we should find out first :) ) Given IATA & EASA have delegated local responsibility for UAS regulation to local regulatory bodies DJI have some work to do if they want to actually reflect local policy.

If you fly for business and you get a job that requires accurate waypoint flying inside DJI's limitation but outside CAA airspace restrictions and you fly within your CAA exemptions DJI shouldn't inhibit your business.

The No Fly Zones only apply when using Waypoints and the Ground Station App. But not for long.

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,185
it seems annoying but DJI is trying to preserve the hobby. Get one guy flying near a major airport like LAX and for whatever reason the thing takes off and flies right over the airport, you can be absolutely sure flights will be delays and the news will be reporting the issues. "terrorists use RC drone to attack airport". Delay someones flight and you'll gain a lot of enemies. Not to mention find yourself wearing handcuffs.

Besides if you NEED to fly near an airport or in a no fly zone - you can always override the ground station commands by switching to atti mode then back to GPS which then gives you full control of the craft.

As local guy stated - "you'll just have to fly into flight paths manually, then they'll know you did it intentionally"

EMCSQUAR said:
Besides if you NEED to fly near an airport or in a no fly zone - you can always override the ground station commands by switching to atti mode then back to GPS which then gives you full control of the craft.

As local guy stated - "you'll just have to fly into flight paths manually, then they'll know you did it intentionally"

You will not be able to program waypoints with ground station in the no fly areas. It has nothing to do with switching to ATTI mode.

If you must fly in the No Fly Zones you can do it with your regular remote as usual.

All countires have slightly different rules for class G airspace, so it looks like DJI chose to err on the side of caution. I think as much as it will be a frustration in some cases, it is necessary to demonstrate responsibility.

EMCSQUAR said:

Does that mean flyaways will stop short of the airport threshold? :D

Fdnyfish said:
The No Fly Zones only apply when using Waypoints and the Ground Station App. But not for long.

Well i guess thats the end of firmware updates for me :lol:

I'm currently running version 1.3.56 on my iPad and live and fly within the supposed restricted fly zone, as dictated by DJI, of Leeds and Bradford Intl Airport. There are also at least two long established model flying clubs within this radius. For the time being I've disabled all auto updates of my IPad and if the worst came to the worst I'll swap out the Naza V2 on my F550 for the Ardupilot flight controller and use the Mission Planner software.

To give some perspective to my situation I'm not in LOS of the airport as I live in the basin of the Wharf Valley at an elevation of about 50m asl where as the airport is in the supposed exclusion zone at an elevation of 208m asl.

Regards

Nidge

DJI may have jumped the gun somewhat as they have removed the video, demonstrating the update to the ground station app, that was uploaded to Youtube yesterday.

Regards

Nidge

I now see that the Groundstation updates for both the Ipad and PC are now available.
Prior to installing you may wish to check the current no-fly zones as dictated by DJI.

I have disabled all auto updates on my Ipad and it's just as well I did as I apparently live and fly in a DJI designated
no-fly zone. To compound the problem I'm disabled and have very little mobility so if I were to update the software on my
PC and Ipad I would no longer be able to use my Groundstation Hardware on my F550 unless I undertake, for me, a near impossible mission to find an alternative flying area. :( :( :(

Regards

Nidge

Well, the stifling update came out today. Good thing I just updated all my firmware yesterday.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1