Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

iPad Air size tablet - does it feel heavy/awkward on the Tx?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RSV_Ecosse, Sep 22, 2016.

1. RSV_Ecosse

As above - looking at picking up an iPad Air cellular but I'm wondering how it feels mounted to the Tx, is it a little too large or unwieldy on the Tx? I have already carried out the Inspire tablet mount on my Tx and its the genuine DJI alloy one not the plastic one so stability shouldn't be a problem. Just wondering overall what Air users think of it?

Thanks.

2. GMack

I use the Air 2 cellular and it fits better than the Samsung tablet I have which needed the extender clamp piece as it is wider than the RC clamp, plus the Samsung USB cable exits where the lower clamp is so I have to offset it for the cable to clear and that is unwieldy. The Samsung tablet performed poorly anyway (lags) so I also used the S6 Edge (The S6 Edge is not on their approved list, just the S6 model.) and it broke up slightly too, and the buttons were/are too small for my large hands.

The iPad Air 2 works a lot better overall. Being a 9.7" screen it barley fits the RC stock clamp. Screen might be less bright than the iPad Pro but I haven't seen them side-by-side either. I can put on a neck harness on if needed so weight isn't an issue.

3. Nickster

I just picked up the Air2 with cellular 2 weeks ago. Upgrade to my air wifi only. I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

4. PaulSouthport

It is a little top heavy, I use a neck strap which helps.

Nickster likes this.
  5. alokbhargava

I had used iPad mini 2 and iPad Air 2 but these days I go with iPhone 6 Plus. It's so comfortable.

6. ckwilson73

IPad Air 2 works well for me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

7. kennedye

This++, I ended up getting the DJI one but there are other models.It really helps if you're moving around since you don't have to worry about dropping the controller. Also, a stiffer bracket wouldn't be a bad idea; either the one from the Inspire controller (which is how I went) or one of the many custom ones available.

One downside is that if your iPad is in a case, you'll almost certainly have to remove it to get it to fit; a 9.7" tablet is riiiiight at the limit of the stock device holder.

8. Ptr

Ptr

Agree

9. FlashBuddy

Oh, that sounds awful. I'd lose any motivation to fly at all.

NoCo Drones

10. David_Cambridge

It is top heavy. I build a brace which restrains the movement of the DJI mount from tipping too far forward. The screw adjustment isn't reliable enough with the amount I am comfortable with tightening the screw.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

11. kennedye

It's not a huge hassle depending on your case style. Mine is a little tricky to get out but if I remove it before stuffing it in the bag and heading out it becomes a non-issue (for me).

For the OP have you thought about a mini? You can get a refurb 3 or 4 starting around $330 and as I recall both work very well with the Phantom. also, I completely missed that you already had the DJI bracket, so ignore that second part in the post (derp).

12. matti

I prefer 9.7" iPad Pro over my older iPad mini. Yes, it is heavier and needs a lanyard but IMHO a big screen helps to avoid stupid & expensive mistakes while flying.

Taking off the magnetic smart cover takes essentially no time.

13. Rothgarr

I can't imagine using anything smaller than an iPad Air (which I use).

As already mentioned above, it's top heavy so its weight always pushes the tablet holder all the way flat, but this doesn't bug me. And I also use a quick release lanyard.

14. David_Cambridge

As a warning, my iPad fell out when the holder tilted backward and crashed on some concrete, breaking the screen. A $250 repair later, I build a stop for the holder so that could never happen again.

15. Ptr

Ptr

Size does matter but not in all situations, I'd be more interested in its processing ability also

16. matti

What kind of stop did you build?

17. Nickster

If you are all having trouble with it tilting on you, as I did, I modded the hookup on the controller of my P3S with a jellyfish holder and this attachment. I have had no issues. Just take an Allen wrench with you in case one of the screws becomes loose, which has happened to me a couple of times.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N...erfire+fpv&dpPl=1&dpID=41ANKMdqeDL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010...ipad+mount&dpPl=1&dpID=4178YLbA2DL&ref=plSrch