IPad Air 2 no GPS

Reaction score
I appreciate all the information and feedback you guys give on this forum.

Got a question, I'm planning on getting a P3A and hopefully be able to use my iPad Air 2 to control it, but unfortunately it has no GPS only Wi-Fi. I do have a iPhone 6 Plus with GPS, so do you need GPS on your device that controls your drone? I guess I could use my iPhone as a hotspot for my iPad.

Thanks again

Ron

I don't think you need it unless you use something like "Follow me" in an autonomous app where the GPS in the phone/tablet is needed for the tracking device up and down hills.

As to the hotspot, when I tried it things got hot and I had green bar video lag with the Wi-Fi active. Could depend on the devices involved too. Eats battery life and into the data plan too, but I was using that Samy Android bloatware junk then too which is known for trouble sooner or later - and poor battery life too. Dunno if Apple would be any better for hotspotting, but it seems to run cleaner and better. Fwiw, I also run an iPad Air 2+Cellular after fighting with that other Android garbage based on others recommendations. Hated to spend the coin on Apple, but I wasted a lot more on that Samy rubbish overall along with Mophie battery backup cases on them to keep that crappy system running.

Good luck!

GMack

That's what I was kinda thinking, just wanted to have that confirmed from some pilots.

Thanks

Ron

I use an iPad 2 Air (wi-fi only) with 128GB. It runs very well on my P4. Sometimes I tether, sometimes I don't, and have never had any issues with it.

I have an Air 2 iPad and have an iPhone 6+ on AT&T plan. I use the hotspot on the phone and connect with the iPad for GPS. Fortunately, I have experienced no problems at all. Just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Get a Garmin GLO. It is a stand alone GPS receiver that connects to your iPad via Bluetooth. It gives you more accurate GPS info than the cellular (GPS) version of iPad. This will give you GPS functionality where there is no wifi or cellular service.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Jerprin
Get a Garmin GLO. It is a stand alone GPS receiver that connects to your iPad via Bluetooth. It gives you more accurate GPS info than the cellular (GPS) version of iPad. This will give you GPS functionality where there is no wifi or cellular service.

Richard

Which app do you use with the Garmin GLO to connect to your device while flying,

Ron

No app required. Just link the Garmin GLO to your iPad via Bluetooth. You will still need to cache the maps for the area you are going to fly in because the GLO does not provide maps. The GLO just links your iPad to the GPS satellites for positional data. I think there are threads on map caching. I hope this helps. Sometimes I find talking to someone a much better way to explain this stuff than text, but posting phone numbers on this site is probably not a good idea.

Reactions: Jerprin
No app required. Just link the Garmin GLO to your iPad via Bluetooth. You will still need to cache the maps for the area you are going to fly in because the GLO does not provide maps. The GLO just links your iPad to the GPS satellites for positional data. I think there are threads on map caching. I hope this helps. Sometimes I find talking to someone a much better way to explain this stuff than text, but posting phone numbers on this site is probably not a good idea.

Richard

Thanks for the info

Ron

Meaning I use another device as an internet connection (smartphone or a dedicated pocket hotspot device) and connect my iPad to that via Bluetooth (more battery friendly) or via Wi-Fi.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20