iPad Air 2 cellular vs iPad Air 2 wifi for DJI Pilot flying Phantom 3

Reaction score
I recently bought a Phantom 3 Advanced.
I am a photographer and I find flying it and taking photos with it to be a joy.
I have been using an iPhone 5s with DJI pilot.

In order to have a bigger screen I am looking at getting an iPad Air 2.
It has a faster CPU and more RAM (2gb vs 1 gb) than the other iPads.
(Android fans, I know most Android tablets have GPS. I'm used to Apple products and I can afford the higher price)

I am debating whether to get the cellular model.
I understand that the wifi model doesn't have GPS.
So with the wifi model, is true that maps won't show up?

If I use my iPhone as a wifi hot spot, could I get maps on the iPad Air 2 wifi unit?

Also, I am wondering if I should get the 16gb or the 64gb model.

I don't plan to keep too many apps or photos or music on this iPad, but it seems like you always find a use for more storage.

It gets down to money, cellular with 64gb is $729 new and 16gb wifi is $499. There is always the Apple refurb store with prices at $609 and $419.

I am looking to get input from real world users who are using DJI Pilot with a Phantom 3 and an iPad Air 2.

Does not having GPS pose an issue, if wifi connected to a phone?
Would you recommend 64gb over 16gb?

You can still get maps with the WiFi only version either by pre-caching them or by tethering to your phone. The latter had the possibility of interfering with your video link. The only functionality you lose is setting a new home point at your current position and other future applications like follow me.

I think you have a typo in the prices. The difference between the WiFi and cellular versions is only $130. For that price difference I decided to go with cellular myself.

When you set the iPhone as a hot spot it shares the GPS location to the iPad as well. I do this all the time w/iPhone 5s and iPad Air WiFi. It works perfectly and I can even live stream to youtube as well.

When you set the iPhone as a hot spot it shares the GPS location to the iPad as well. I do this all the time w/iPhone 5s and iPad Air WiFi. It works perfectly and I can even live stream to youtube as well.

Using your setup, are you able to reset the Home Point to the Transmitter location after launch?

Yes, but I have not been able to reset the Home Point to the RC while the Wifi only iPad Air is hotspotted to the iPhone 6+. Can you?

Last edited:
I had a 16gb wifi but I couldn't get the GPS to work even when tethered. I returned it and ordered a cellular 16gb for $510 on Amazon.com

I had a 16gb wifi but I couldn't get the GPS to work even when tethered. I returned it and ordered a cellular 16gb for $510 on Amazon.com
Thanks for confirming no GPS from tethering.
That's what the BT Bad Elf's are for, on WiFi only iPads. :cool:

Thanks for confirming no GPS from tethering.
That's what the BT Bad Elf's are for, on WiFi only iPads. :cool:

Seems like an awfully pricey addon just for GPS. It's just ANOTHER device to charge/sync/connect

We have options. Cellular Air 2 with GLONASS, or WiFi only Air 2 with a BT Bad Elf Pro. Price is about the same. Bad Elf can also be used with cellular, for a more reliable GPS location, as Apple Power Management releases the GPS lock during app switching and screen blanking. Bad Elf is paired once and autoconnects to up to 5 devices. Battery life is 15 hours, or 35 hours on the Pro+, and both display the GPS accuracy in feet or meters at all times. Good to know how accurate its fix is, before resetting the Home Point to the RC using its location. Both Bad Elf's are typically 8 -12 feet. Not sure about the iPad Air 2 cellular. Should be close to that, though.

Reactions: FASTFJR
We have options. Cellular Air 2 with GLONASS, or WiFi only Air 2 with a BT Bad Elf Pro. Price is about the same. Bad Elf can also be used with cellular, for a more reliable GPS location, as Apple Power Management releases the GPS lock during app switching and screen blanking. Bad Elf is paired once and autoconnects to up to 5 devices. Battery life is 15 hours, or 35 hours on the Pro+, and both display the GPS accuracy in feet or meters at all times. Good to know how accurate its fix is, before resetting the Home Point to the RC using its location. Both Bad Elf's are typically 8 -12 feet. Not sure about the iPad Air 2 cellular. Should be close to that, though.

Dumb question, how do you use the Bad Elf GPS and keep the iPad mini pugged into the transmitter at the same time?

Dumb question, how do you use the Bad Elf GPS and keep the iPad mini pugged into the transmitter at the same time?
The external gps (Bad Elf, Dual, etc) unit connects to the tablet via bluetooth.

I recently bought a Phantom 3 Advanced.

It gets down to money, cellular with 64gb is $729 new and 16gb wifi is $499. There is always the Apple refurb store with prices at $609 and $419.

So what did you buy? Do you find the Ipad Air2 is too big for the Phantom controller clip? I find my Ipad mini on the edge of being too big when I put the sun shade around it. I can't imagine using anything larger, however the big screen would be nice if the ergonomics of the controller clip could handle it OK.

I use the iPad Air 2 and it fits perfect...just can't use the leather case I bought for it while flying. I have the cellular model with 64gb and I love it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31