Ipad Air 2 (cell) Hardware Decode or not?

Reaction score
I'm still on firmware 1.1.9 and the pilot app. For my P3P, should I be enabling hardware decode? I've had it off and never had any FPV problems. I plan to upgrade firmware and the new GO app. What's the official word on having that on/off for the Ipad Air 2?

I'm still on firmware 1.1.9 and the pilot app. For my P3P, should I be enabling hardware decode? I've had it off and never had any FPV problems. I plan to upgrade firmware and the new GO app. What's the official word on having that on/off for the Ipad Air 2?

I had it "On" with my iPad Air 2 and it worked great.

The answer to this question has changed over time, so you will probably hear differing opinions.

Back in the May time frame, the guidance was that for Apple products, A7 devices should have hardware decode enabled, but A8 devices should have hardware decode disabled. It seems that back in that time frame there were instances of random reboots with the A8 devices, so reps such as blade and tahoe ed were giving the above guidance.

It seems that now, more often than not the guidance is to keep it enabled even with A8 devices. I don't know why exactly. Perhaps app and/or iOS changes in the last couple of months now make the random reboots a thing of the past, but I'm just guessing.

Same as @REBELimgs noted, I use an Air 2 and I have hardware decode enabled. I have not had any issues at all with reboots, but I also have not noticed any difference with hardware decode either enabled or disabled.

I guess the best thing to do is to try it yourself both ways and see how it works for you.

Reactions: JoBe
I have it enabled with my air 2 and have never had an issue. Just adding my 2 cents.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic