Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota border?

Reaction score
Anyone else around this area? If so, the South Sioux City dog park, past the soccer fields, has about three miles of open fields to fly over, as well as the Mighty Mo River.

I would have thought there would never be a problem finding places to fly in the Mid West. My girlfriend is from NW Kansas and there is just NOTHING there!

I would have thought there would never be a problem finding places to fly in the Mid West. My girlfriend is from NW Kansas and there is just NOTHING there!
There is an abundance of open areas around here and attached two photos for you. The first is at the Memorial Park (one area highlighted with the red) and that total distance to the far end is a total of 3.4 miles (across the highway).

The second photo with highlights of areas 1 & 2 (1 is the other photo), is endless. Most of the areas are small rolling hills, cornfields, and some woods. The highest I have ever gone to maintain a signal is about 280 feet. Other than that, it is just slow and smooth sailing. The worst part I guess is that after a while, the vegetation gets boring. But if you want to fly without worrying too much about "grab your drone trees" then this is the place. The interstate about halfway out in the photos is 8,300 feet away, so you can see how much farther there is to fly.

Attachments

• Park.JPG
    Park.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 411
  • Area.JPG
    Area.JPG
    328.2 KB · Views: 387
Reactions: Digdat0
I have flown there and have some videos of it, that I will include in a few on YouTube and include once they upload.

I'm headed to the souix city bike rally next weekend. Don't want to pack the bird on the bike that far though, lol

I'm headed to the souix city bike rally next weekend. Don't want to pack the bird on the bike that far though, lol
RAGBRAI is pretty big for sure. Here is a video link to the field where the photos were taken above.

There is an abundance of open areas around here and attached two photos for you. The first is at the Memorial Park (one area highlighted with the red) and that total distance to the far end is a total of 3.4 miles (across the highway).

The second photo with highlights of areas 1 & 2 (1 is the other photo), is endless. Most of the areas are small rolling hills, cornfields, and some woods. The highest I have ever gone to maintain a signal is about 280 feet. Other than that, it is just slow and smooth sailing. The worst part I guess is that after a while, the vegetation gets boring. But if you want to fly without worrying too much about "grab your drone trees" then this is the place. The interstate about halfway out in the photos is 8,300 feet away, so you can see how much farther there is to fly.

I just posted a video to that area, here is the link.

In Sioux City and just got my drone. Would like to maybe meet some others and maybe get some tips. Thanks

I'm down in Onawa. Don't have a bird yet. Reading up on the Part 107 stuff. If ya need an observer or something, let me know.

Matt,

I'm just 20 miles north of Sioux Falls with access to lot's of open space. I'm currently flying 2 P3Pro's, a 3DR Solo and have just started with the racing drone stuff this past week or so. Also awaiting delivery of my Mavic Pro. I still have my P2V+v3 but I need to finish replacing the wifi module.

Jerry

Did you notice that almost the entire area 1 is within the 5 mile limit of the Sioux Gateway Airport and part of area 2? In area 2 if you stay west of 110 you would be ok.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20