iOSD mini, shopping list..

Reaction score
Currently I have a Phantom with an Immersion vTX600 MW, alternative camera (HK Wing Camera II) and alternative TX/RX (Devo 8s) working very well.

My first though was to install EzOSD but now based on your feedback I believe really the best option will be the iOSM mini

Could anybody check my shopping list.

iOSD http://www.helipal.com/dji-iosd-mini-on-screen-display-module.html\

Naza M PMU V2 http://www.helipal.com/dji-naza-m-pmu-v2.html

Is there anything else that I need to get, any connector?

I too will be going this route with a version 1.1.1 Phantom. From everything I have read thats all you need, please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Craig

Colombus said:
Currently I have a Phantom with an Immersion vTX600 MW, alternative camera (HK Wing Camera II) and alternative TX/RX (Devo 8s) working very well.

My first though was to install EzOSD but now based on your feedback I believe really the best option will be the iOSM mini

Could anybody check my shopping list.

iOSD http://www.helipal.com/dji-iosd-mini-on-screen-display-module.html\

Naza M PMU V2 http://www.helipal.com/dji-naza-m-pmu-v2.html

Is there anything else that I need to get, any connector?

Well you will need to be a little handy with the soldering iron or a crimp tool because you are going to have to make up a cable or two -- just to get your video from your camera into the iOSD Mini and back out again to your TX. There aren't really any pre-made cables for this, but it's very simple -- you'll mostly always have a yellow video signal wire and its corresponding GND. Camera into iOSD, output video into TX.

Otherwise you'll have all the pieces. Note that when you install the PMU-V2, you are essentially bypassing all the circuitry on your main board. Everything will now plug either into the PMU or the NAZA, including your voltage sensor (X3) connector and GPS. All the main board does at that point is serve as a mounting plate for the NAZA and a place to solder your ESCs and battery. So if you want, you can do what one person did and pull out the main board entirely and replace it with a lighter CF mounting plate. Then you just solder your ESCs and battery all together instead of using the board and stick the NAZA back down on the new plate. Certainly not needed or even recommended to do that, but if you are obsessed with weight or eliminating redundant components you might consider it. :)

Yeah it's a pretty simple setup.

If you have V.1.1.1 you dont have the can ports for the IOSD but getting the PMU V.2 it gives you just that. So you should be fine.

You will need also some way to connect your camera to the IOSD and i'm not all that familiar with your cam but a quick google search should yield some favorable results.

I have set up an IOSD MINI it is very easy. I also have a few connectors for the DJI 5.8 transmitter and can provide one for a small fee or give instructions. All you have to do is solder on a JST connector.

Awesome info ! I am still waiting on FatShark stuff to be in stock somewhere for my downlink. I watched a couple of video's about the iOSD Mini and I like the fact that you get the horizon no matter where the camera is pointed. I'll try and take pictures as I do all the install's ...

Craig

Thank you for all your answers. To me then there is not question about whether to go with EzOSD or iOSD mini.

Duplicating the GPS on eZOSD and then having to position it outside the Phantom is not really convenient.

Price wise as you see in my shopping list iOSD mini and PMUv2 is around $130, EzOSD is around $180.

Thank you for the great info. I will by pressing the trigger today to get all that is needed.

M

To get iOSD mini to work with any phantom you just need those 2 parts you mentioned the iOSD mini itself and PMUv2. As far as I know there is yet to be a Phantom released with a board that has a canbus port that you could directly connect it without the need for PMUv2.

The other obvious things you need are a camera video transmitter/receiver and screen or goggles. I am sure everyone looking into OSD already has those along with a NAZA equipped phantom. ;)

Probably the right decision, however for what it's worth I use the Skylark Trace IV myself. At first the idea of a separate GPS bothered me, but the Skylark GPS fits inside the shell no problem and does not interfere with the NAZA GPS at all. So that's my "backup" GPS -- I record the OSD GPS coordinates on my FPV monitor (built-in recorder), so if the NAZA goes crazy and it flies off somewhere, I have another GPS that ostensibly still gives me a fix on where it went.

Also, you apparently CAN get the ezOSD all inside the shell, too, but probably not if you have anything else in there other than the stock main board.

MrMediaGuy said:
Probably the right decision, however for what it's worth I use the Skylark Trace IV myself. At first the idea of a separate GPS bothered me, but the Skylark GPS fits inside the shell no problem and does not interfere with the NAZA GPS at all. So that's my "backup" GPS -- I record the OSD GPS coordinates on my FPV monitor (built-in recorder), so if the NAZA goes crazy and it flies off somewhere, I have another GPS that ostensibly still gives me a fix on where it went.

Also, you apparently CAN get the ezOSD all inside the shell, too, but probably not if you have anything else in there other than the stock main board.

Interesting idea about a backup gps but I think its better to get th data direct from the gps used by naza. This way you can see if it or the compass are freaking out and if that happens a backup gps isnt going to help it in rth or gps mode flying. Having data from the naza helps you know if its ok to trust the gps in flight.

There are plenty of osd options but the simplicity of the mini osd install size and weight made me go with it. Getting an idea of what is actually going on with the sensors used by the naza itself I think has great benefits over secondary instruments that may feed you completly different data.

martcerv said:
There are plenty of osd options but the simplicity of the mini osd install size and weight made me go with it. Getting an idea of what is actually going on with the sensors used by the naza itself I think has great benefits over secondary instruments that may feed you completly different data.

Don't disagree with that at all -- for example I'd love to be able to see the pitch and roll values that the iOSD MIni provides, which I can't see on the Skylark since it doesn't communicate with the NAZA. Same goes for voltage -- I did eventually get my Skylark calibrated (and the NAZA calibrated as well) exactly the same, but it took a fair amount of work. Always a plus to see exactly the voltage that the NAZA sees, though, so you know when the red light is coming.

I think my thought process, though, was along the lines of, "Well the iOSD Mini isn't going to show me the GPS coordinates, only the number of satellites, so if the data does go crazy I'm not really going to see that in the numbers anyway." But it seemed like it might be useful to be able to record on the DVR the actual coords from a second GPS "just in case" -- although to be fair, if it really flew away beyond the limits of my VTX/RX I'd lose that telemetry anyway. :(

On the other hand, the Skylark GPS module is lighter than carrying my GTU10 all the time, so there is that. :)

More then one way to skin a cat, id like to get GPS co-ordinates too but it would only be useful in a search and rescue operation if you recorded the live feed. The only other thing I could think of that would be nice in the DJI setup is radio signal strength but I am quite happy with the info it gives me. My last resort failsafe is my name and number inside the battery door so if worst comes to worst and an honest person comes across the wreckage they may give me a call.

martcerv said:
To get iOSD mini to work with any phantom you just need those 2 parts you mentioned the iOSD mini itself and PMUv2. As far as I know there is yet to be a Phantom released with a board that has a canbus port that you could directly connect it without the need for PMUv2.

The other obvious things you need are a camera video transmitter/receiver and screen or goggles. I am sure everyone looking into OSD already has those along with a NAZA equipped phantom. ;)

Martcev.

Another question, Does the PMUv2 takes power from the Naza, or it has to be powered apart?

It if needs to be powered apart then I need to double the extra power lead of the Phantom. Anybody has done that?

Colombus said:
martcerv said:

Martcev.

Another question, Does the PMUv2 takes power from the Naza, or it has to be powered apart?

It if needs to be powered apart then I need to double the extra power lead of the Phantom. Anybody has done that?

The PMU is soldered directly to the Phantom's internal battery wires that are connected to the main board. The PMU is replacing the Phantom's BEC module that does not have a Can Bus. The IOSD Mini is plugged into the PMU after that. You don't power the PMU with another battery because it is in essence regulating the power for the Phantom and now acting as a hub for other components such as the Bluetooth.

When I soldered mine in I used an XT60 connector so that I could remove the PMU if needed. In hindsight I just needed to solder directly to the leads.

Hi,
Bit cheeky. Can anyone post a bit of a guide for doing this or a link to one please. Very interested in doing this but want to do it properly ;)
Cheers, Rich

Camera Output (Ground and video) that I assume you have currently connected to your vTX, now should go the the iOSD (ground and video in), then ground and video out of iOSD should go to your vTX, replacing the previous connection that you have directly to your camera before.

Check this video for more details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrIE-utsthg

Very easy. Not a big deal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj