iOSD mini install with kumbacam advanced fpv kit

Reaction score
I recently purchased a phantom 2 for filming and I'm trying to install an iosd mini. My quadcopter already has the kumbacam advanced fpv kit with the plug and play adapter installed. The plug and play has a port labeled "iosd mini" and a tiny switch that says "vtx/osd". This looks a little different than the install diagram that came with the iosd mini so I'm wondering if anyone knows how to hook these up?

Kumbacam's website says the plug and play adapter lets you "Easily addon additional features such as the iOSD" (http://kumbacam.com/DJI-Phantom-Accessories/PNP-Adapter) but I have not been able to find any resources about how to do that exactly. My hunch is it has something to do with that port but I'm not sure how to go about connecting it.

What you have installed on there already is really just the DJI FPV hub with a custom lead spliced on for the transmitter. The way to connect the iOSD mini is shown in part 1 of this diagram:

1.png

Thats right! I found that diagram the other day and it answered my question. Now I have another question— it looks like the cables are too short to allow me to install the iosd mini inside the phantom. Also the pamphlet with the diagram you shared says that it installing the hub inside the phantom 2 isn't recommended. Not that any of the cables are long enough in any case. Should I attach the iosd mini to the outside then? Its getting cluttered with the gimball, anti interference board, DJI FPV hub and transmitter, plus the iosd mini, and I was looking to an Atomos Ninja Star recorder as well. I'm looking for a solution that will keep it clean but not inhibit performance at all.

Yeah a lot of people mount the iOSD on the outside for just that reason.

Any particular reason for mounting the recorder on the Phantom itself? When you have the gimbal on there too the 100g is really going to impact your flight time as well as overall handling.

thanks for mentioning about the cables there gclindsey... I didn't really like what I heard from Kumbacam when I was researching my own FPV and now that I know the cables are too short for an internal iOSD install I'm going to continue to recommend against it, especially if the kit comes with the AVL58 transmitter which everyone around here that has one says is a high weight low performance power pig.

The ImmersionRC 600mW with the firstpersonview pre-made cable really seems like the best, easiest plug-and-play solution.

I also want to back OI up - why in the world are you attaching any type of recording device to the Phantom and adding weight, unless you aren't using a GoPro or camera with local recording capability? that kind of weight addition will negatively affect your flight time quite a bit. If you have a gopro, you're basically not getting a better recording than the one it makes locally onto itself...

ironically, someone earlier today posted this in another thread, it's a carbon fiber mounting board you can attach to your Phantom which effectively gives you more space to mount stuff externally. I thought it was pointless at the time but I guess in your case it might be useful
http://www.multiworksuav.com/mountingplates.html

So I ditched the DJI FPV hub that came with the Kumbacam plug and play kit, I really didn't need that in the first place. Snipped the connections and resoldered after looking at youtube videos on how to do this. Now, my craft is waiting for the iosd mini to be updated since I only have a MAC and not a PC, I'll need to find someone local or ask a friend (BTW I'm in Chicago if anyone would be able to help me out with the update). But its all tucked away inside the aircraft. If I'd known this I probably would have gone with the immersion RC which I hear a lot of people talking about, but I'm new to all of this.

GoPros are great cameras but even with Protune they only record 8 bit 45mb/sec. Mounting an external recorder like the atomos would let me record 10 bit 220 mb/sec video. Thats a huge difference in quality and something I need for my application. I would be willing to sacrifice a decrease in flight time for the higher video quality, if I can still get my intended shot.

QYV— thanks for that link, I'm going to check it out.

Thanks all for your input, I got this taken care of and I'm looking forward to getting the phantom in the air.

Well I it looks like the iOSD mini works all right and I haven't updated it yet. It was purchased in July and so was the Phantom, so I may not need to do this update in order to fly it. But all the info is there on the monitor so it looks like its ready to go!

Hello GC
Any luck mounting the Star on the quad? I have one and cannot find a way to get the HDMI signal from the Gopro without interfering with the proper operation of the H33D gimbal.
thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj