IOSD Mark II - Switch Channels with Phantom Remote?

Reaction score
Howzit everyone!

Just got my P2 in yesterday and want to order an IOSD Mark II to switch between my hero3+ and some other smaller camera to use for flying. My question is, is it possible to use the stock phantom remote controller to switch between the two camera channels? or would I have to buy an after market remote controller such as one of the futabas? And any recommendations for the second camera to use just for flying on the second channel? Thanks in advance for any advice!

It can technically be done from the Phantom's controller, but it would require giving up gimbal control or whatever else you're using the 7th channel for, and it would be tricky even if you did. The function on the iOSD II is setup to be controlled by a 3-position switch and you'd have use the gimbal lever to simulate flipping that up and down. Which I don't recommend.

I can't make recommendations on what FPV camera to get, but the iOSD II is equipped to power most cameras of that type, so you just run one cable (video + power) between the two and that's all the camera should need.

OI Photography said:
It can technically be done from the Phantom's controller, but it would require giving up gimbal control or whatever else you're using the 7th channel for, and it would be tricky even if you did. The function on the iOSD II is setup to be controlled by a 3-position switch and you'd have use the gimbal lever to simulate flipping that up and down. Which I don't recommend.

I can't make recommendations on what FPV camera to get, but the iOSD II is equipped to power most cameras of that type, so you just run one cable (video + power) between the two and that's all the camera should need.

Thank you OIP for the response. What would you recommend as a replacement controller that would have 3 position switch that would allow me to control both the gimbal as well as to be able to switch/hop between the two video signals? Thanks!

Malolo said:
OI Photography said:

Thank you OIP for the response. What would you recommend as a replacement controller that would have 3 position switch that would allow me to control both the gimbal as well as to be able to switch/hop between the two video signals? Thanks!

Futaba t8fghs or a 14sg. You would still have to program them and calibrate them (and swap your receiver in your Phantom so you would have an 8 channel (t8) or 14sg rx. There are really good threads on the 14sg and the t8 here on this forum with very specific information for you - including downloadable profiles so you don't have to do much programming. The T8FGHS thread is using the 8th channel as a Master to drive the pan speed of the gimbal but you can just remove that link and use the 8th channel the way you are describing.

Just about any 8 channel should work but there are a lot of people using the Futaba and you can get help easily.

ladykate said:
Futaba t8fghs or a 14sg. You would still have to program them and calibrate them (and swap your receiver in your Phantom so you would have an 8 channel (t8) or 14sg rx. There are really good threads on the 14sg and the t8 here on this forum with very specific information for you - including downloadable profiles so you don't have to do much programming. The T8FGHS thread is using the 8th channel as a Master to drive the pan speed of the gimbal but you can just remove that link and use the 8th channel the way you are describing.

Just about any 8 channel should work but there are a lot of people using the Futaba and you can get help easily.

Actually I just freed up the 8th channel in version 4 of the T8FGS profile. The slow pan motor function didn't require a real channel so I moved it.

ianwood said:
Actually I just freed up the 8th channel in version 4 of the T8FGS profile. The slow pan motor function didn't require a real channel so I moved it.

Drat... I'm a revision behind (mostly because I was doing with mine what Malolo wanted to do with his). I figured there must be a way to free up 8 but after I scoured the options for a whole five minutes, I just unhooked it so I could press on with my other idea. Thanks for that.

Malolo wrote:

BTW: There are some very inexpensive radios out there - you can get a Devo with rx for a quarter what a Futaba costs. They are also programmable and have extra switches you can assign to the camera control. However, the Futaba is a better setup, has better interference circuitry, a million on-board options (which presents other problems since it is more difficult to program) and seems to have the support of the community (which helps with the programming issues). I took a Devo setup off my 550 and replaced it with the T8 - it is a much nicer setup.

Your Phantom radio and rx are apparently made by Futaba and the Futaba FASST protocol is understood by the Phantom - putting something cheaper into the Phantom to get an extra channel might be a false savings (I would bet on that - but I haven't done it).

ladykate said:
Malolo said:
OI Photography said:

Thank you ladykate for the insight. Would you mind letting me know what camera you use for FPV flying? I have looked online and seen a bunch of alternatives but am really looking for something that is small enough that I may mount just above the USB port or even dremel a hole and mount inside the shell (again above the usb port). Thank you again for the information.

Malolo said:
Thank you ladykate for the insight. Would you mind letting me know what camera you use for FPV flying? I have looked online and seen a bunch of alternatives but am really looking for something that is small enough that I may mount just above the USB port or even dremel a hole and mount inside the shell (again above the usb port). Thank you again for the information.

I have been using the GoPro but I just installed a FatShark FPV camera (cheapest one - comes with the goggles) on my 550 (along with the GoPro). I use the 550 as a test bed because I can just Velcro stuff on and hook it up with little problem. Am using it right now to test the camera. It works fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl