iOS tablet with HDMI Port?

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking to purchase a new tablet soon, and had my heart set on the Nvidia Shield because I'm not a fan of mac products, and I know the shield has an HDMI port.

However after seeing all the improved features on iOS (seeing stick movements, dynamic home points, etc) I might be persuaded to buy an iPad or something, IF I can find one that has an HDMI port so I can use my goggles.

Rather than search through all the threads on here, I was hoping someone more knowledgeable could quickly tell me if there are any ios tablets with an hdmi port. A quick google search didn't come up with anything helpful.

It looks like I can buy a $40 adapter to give me HDMI functions for an ios tablet? Does anyone have experience with that?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

As an Apple-only user since 1982 I hate to say it but Apple dropped the ball when it comes to iOS and HDMI. Ever since Apple went to the Lightning port they removed the video output (30pin had it). The current HDMI adapter cables available utilizes the new cable and your original cable in tandem and it uses a form of airplay, not a true wired solution. There is a chip in the adapter cable to make the Airplay possible. So in a nutshell, nope, no good HDMI on Apple products. I bought a WinBook 10.1 for my P2 (like a Surface but cheaper), so I can use the PC version of Ground Station while in the field. They have smaller versions for cheap too. They run a true Windows 8.1 and the 10.1 has a USB3 port and an HDMI port. Only $180 and cheaper if you live where they have stores for open box. Here is what I have - http://www.microcenter.com/product/437498/TW100_101_Tablet_-_Black

Reactions: Steve Moore
Hey all,

I'm looking to purchase a new tablet soon, and had my heart set on the Nvidia Shield because I'm not a fan of mac products, and I know the shield has an HDMI port.

However after seeing all the improved features on iOS (seeing stick movements, dynamic home points, etc) I might be persuaded to buy an iPad or something, IF I can find one that has an HDMI port so I can use my goggles.

Rather than search through all the threads on here, I was hoping someone more knowledgeable could quickly tell me if there are any ios tablets with an hdmi port. A quick google search didn't come up with anything helpful.

It looks like I can buy a $40 adapter to give me HDMI functions for an ios tablet? Does anyone have experience with that?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

There are reviews on the apple site, only issue seems to be iOS 8.3 update, you need to reset phone if it does not work, to enable it to function.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

There are reviews on the apple site, only issue seems to be iOS 8.3 update, you need to reset phone if it does not work, to enable it to function.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

This WILL NOT work. I just tried it. For some reason the lightning plug that is build into the adapter will only allow the tablet to charge. It does not send data. So the adapter will show you the p3 screen, but it states "disconnected" when you plug the lighting from the back of the TX to the adapter. It seems that the data that travels stops at the adapter and does not go into the tablet.

hmm, maybe the data is only one way ?

Have you done a hard reset on your device, i.e. shutting down with home and power button ?

This WILL NOT work. I just tried it. For some reason the lightning plug that is build into the adapter will only allow the tablet to charge. It does not send data. So the adapter will show you the p3 screen, but it states "disconnected" when you plug the lighting from the back of the TX to the adapter. It seems that the data that travels stops at the adapter and does not go into the tablet.
That is what I tried to explain up top. The adapter cable has a chip in it that creates a wireless connection to the device (iPhone, iPad) and mimics Airplay. The lightning side charges, the HDMI side receives the data from the HDMI cable and creates a wireless signal and sends it to the iDevice. It is not even 1080p. So you are plugging the HDMI cable into a wireless radio that sends the signal to your device.

New one supposed to be out sometime in August. Might want to hold off for the massive price drops.

Meh. I can pick up one for $150 off Craigslist which isn't too bad. I'm going to spend the month of August traveling around the US so I will want a good tablet before then.

My Samsung Galaxy S4 has so much lag compared to some of the videos I've seen

How are your goggles using the wireless miracast connection method as opposed to direct hdmi?

Looking at getting a pair of those goggles. Any gripes with them?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers