iOS Phantom Vision App - Upgrade Range Extender

Reaction score
DJI recently upgraded the iOS (and android) Vision app to include a function called "Upgrade Range Extender", with the stated purpose of being able to being able to connect to the phantom as well as a data network.

That sounds like a really useful feature (ability to update maps), use other apps, etc. But has anyone tried it with success?

I was an early adopter of the 3.08 firmware, and it bit me in the butt when I wrecked the use of my tilt control, until I modded it to be a dial control. I just don't want to go through that again, as I will be using the Phantom quite a bit in the next few weeks and I can't have it bricked.

Thanks!

:D
I dislike these constant updates DJI pushes out. I'm for leaving it alone if it works. Updates aren't necessarily upgrades in most cases!

MHL

I have updated my app and the range extender without issue (iPhone 6 running the latest iOS updates). After upgrading the range extender, when you connect to the phantom's WiFi, it will connect, but it will still show "LTE/4G/ etc." in the status bar, indicating that it is still able to access cellular data. I have been able to load Ground Station maps while connected to the Phantom. I really like not having to disconnect/reconnect to do that.

I haven't experienced any of the issues that others are reporting (main issue seems to be with the app crashing while trying to tilt the camera).

Thanks Icarus, appreciate your feedback.

DrJoe said:
Thanks Icarus, appreciate your feedback.
:cry:
No love for me? Awe, DrJoe. :lol:

Hey, I did notice a few updaters having IMU problems. Did you bite the bullet and update?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34227

I too have upgraded. I like the option that I can load the maps for GS on my iPad mini while out wherever I am flying. I did not have any problems with updates. (Knock on wood)

Shouldn't this setup now allow a live video stream to be sent to the internet?

If you don't want to upgrade the app itself, you can achieve the same net effect by disabling the network gateway for the Phantom's access point.

While connected to your Phantom's WiFi network:
Enter Settings -> Wi-Fi
Tap the (i) on the Phantom WiFi entry
Clear the Router field

This tells your iOS device not to attempt any outside connections over WiFi, and defer to cell data.
TAKE NOTE: This will allow alerts to come to your phone. If you have set any apps to notify with a modal window (popup with buttons), this can block your view of the Phantom video at critical moments. You may want to turn notifications off, or 'Do Not Disturb' on. (Probably the latter, so calls don't come through, either)

flyNfrank said:
Shouldn't this setup now allow a live video stream to be sent to the internet?
Most likely, using something like Shou. Would be an interesting test.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl